Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Fiat Lux , all cross your fingers ( and some help)

Fiat Lux , all cross your fingers ( and some help)

Postby thunderbird2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 am

All some potentially great news and without revealing sources a request is being put in for licencing a Fiat Lux Collection initially titled Hired History and More

The tracklisting looks pretty comprehensive to me but the company wants some feedback if there are any other essential tracks ( any feedback from anybody) , I will mail them back directly with any suggestions

Artist: Fiat Lux

Title: Hired History

Original catalogue # 821 637-1

Tracklisting:
1/ Secrets (03:40)
2/ Photography (04:38)
3/ Blue Emotion (Extended Version) (05:17)
4/ Comfortable Life (02:43)
5/ Sleepless Nightmare (Extended Version) (04:24)
6/ Aqua Vitae (04:02)

Bonus Material:
1/ Feels Like Winter Again (04:19) (Cocteau Records - COQ9)
2/ This Illness (04:06) (Cocteau Records - COQ9)
3/ Photography (7" Version) (03:50) (cat # FIAT1)
4/ Aqua Vitae (Extended Remix) (05:13) (cat # FIAT1X)
5/ Blue Emotion (7" Version) (04:13) (cat # FIAT3)
6/ Sleepless Nightmare (03:56) (cat # FIAT3)
7/ House Of Thorns (7" Version) (cat # FIAT4)
8/ House Of Thorns (12" Version) (05:02) (cat # FIAT4X)
9/ Solitary Lovers (7" Version) (03:47) (cat # FIAT5)
10/ Three's Company (03:28) (cat # FIAT4)
11/ Solitary Lovers (12" Version) (05:21) (cat # FIAT5X)
12/ Sally Free And Easy (04:28) (cat # FIAT4X)
13/ No More Proud (02:27) (cat # FIAT5)
14/ No More Proud (Proud Mix) (04:33) (cat # FIATX5)
15/ No More Proud (Dub Mix) (02:16) (cat #' FIATX5)
16/ Three's Company (12" Version) (04:52) (cat # FIATX4)
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Re: Fiat Lux , all cross your fingers ( and some help)

Postby DavePlym » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:02 am

The Moment & Embers. I'd rather have more separate songs than multiple mixes. Perhaps limit the other songs to 7 & 12" only.
DavePlym
Take On Me

Postby Dominik500 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:22 am

I agree The Moment and Embers are essential Fiat Lux. This would have to fit on a 2CD comp, but here's what I'd want to see...

1. The Moment
2. Breaking The Boundary
3. Blue Emotion
4. Embers
5. Splurge
6. Secrets
7. No More Proud
8. Aqua Vitae
9. Photography
10. Solitary Lovers
---BONUS TRACKS---
11. Feels Like Winter Again
12. (What Is) This Illness
13. Comfortable Life
14. Three's Company
15. Sally Free And Easy
16. House Of Thorns
17. Sleepless Nightmare
18. Blue Emotion (7" Version)
19. Solitary Lovers (7" Version)
20. No More Proud (7" Version)
21. Aqua Vitae (Extended Version)
22. Photography (Extended Version)
23. Solitary Lovers (Extended Version)
24. Three's Company (Extended Version)
25. House Of Thorns (Extended Version)
26. Blue Emotion (Extended Version)
27. Sleepless Nightmare (Extended Version)
28. No More Proud (Proud Mix)
29. No More Proud (Another Dub Mix)
30. Aqua Vitae (Instrumental)

Particularly I'd like to see the first 17 tracks before any remixes. Good luck with the project! I'm very excited!

Dominik
"You say I've got my father's aching hips, I've got ulcers too.
You've got your mother's looks, but she's 45, not 22." The Quarks - "Mechanical" (1981 Magnet Records)
Dominik500
Personal Jesus

Postby Danielwaver » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 pm

Breaking The Boundary, The Moment, Embers. Three Fiat Lux essentials. In the meantime could not stop laughing after seeing the title "Hired History & More" cause few years back when I posted Fiat Lux on a torrent site, this is the title I picked for the compilation I posted. :D
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby thunderbird2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for the inputs so far I am sure a lot of this will depend upon if one company owns the licence to all these , I believe the first single will have to be sourced separately based upon the mail I received

lets see how this develops , in the end it is really good that a company is still prepared to try and bring something like this out so something is better than nothing ( i must admit i would have been happy with just hired history coming out and a few extra tracks )

I think the fact that already they have done quite a bit of digging to come out with the list originally shown is quite encouraging

lets all keep our fingers crossed
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Danielwaver » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:53 pm

I wonder if Bill Nelson is involved? I think most likely he is, as we flooded him with requests to get Fiat Lux re-issue going. :lol:
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby GJH » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Wow this is amazing news. I agree with the previous posts and it would be essential to include the unreleased 'Fac Ut Vivas' album with such songs as 'The Moment', 'Breaking the Boundary', 'Embers' and the brilliant 'Splurge'. The one thing I noticed about timings is that my vinyl of ' Feels LIke Winter' runs for about 4.56 so I am not sure what version they will be using!
There is of course the 'Commercial Breakdown' live concert video which was available on Laserdisc which is probably the cleanest version. Maybe asking far too much!
Anyway it's still great news and I hope the company listens to these posts to release a definitive collection. Fingers crossed.
Well done and thanks for posting.
If they ever need any cuttings/ interviews from the music press at the time let me know as I (still) have quite a few!
Have they checked out: http://www.hiredhistory.co.uk/ a comprehensive and well put together website on the band.
GJH
Take On Me

Postby kopite » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi,

It's Dave, I run (or should that be ran as I have neglected the site for an age) the hiredhistory.co.uk website. I hope this gets further than previous attempts.I know Cherry Red have tried previously and failed. I only know this as they contacted me initially to get in touch with the band about 5 years ago about issuing such a CD.

The first issue will be trying to locate the master tapes, Polydor catalogue is now under Universal so God knows if they know where they are. Secondly. the licencing costs may far outweigh the possible income.

There are a few other tracks which could be worth a look (sorry if I'm repeating what's already been said):-
Aqua Vitae (Album Version) - unreleased, this differs to all other versions
Blue Emotion (Original Version) - unreleased
Calling On Angels - not sure if a studio version exists, I only know of the Janice Long session version
Comfortable Life (Bill Nelson Version) - unreleased
Hold Me While You Can - unreleased
I'm Sure She Will - not sure if a studio version exists, I only know of the Janice Long session version
In The Heat Of The Night - unreleased
No More Proud (2:40 Version) - unreleased, this differs to all other versions
Photography (Bill Nelson Version) - unreleased
Rebound - not sure if a studio version exists, I only know of the Janice Long session version
Solitary Lovers (Album Version) - unreleased, this is longer than 7" but shorter than 12"
Splurge (Full Band Version) - unreleased, this version featured Steve Smith and Ray Martinez

I wasn't aware of a longer version of Winter that GJH mentions. There were 2 versions of the 7" in 1982 and 1985 but thought it was the same version repressed?

I know some of the above studio versions exist 100% but tracking them down will be the issue.

Fingers crossed everyone...
kopite
Switchin' to Glide

Postby crichert » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:51 pm

Would love to see Steve Wright's side project "Hoi Poloi" songs make it to CD for the first time.
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:24 pm

Didn't realize their catalogue was owned by a "major". Good luck finding the masters.

Alternate 7 inch and dub versions? No thanks, but whatever.

FL is certainly in my top 5 of all bands who have no CD presence. Would definitely pay a premium for official pressed CDs from the master tapes. This band has been bootlegged to death so reissues off vinyl seem redundant. Their fan base basically already has their material in some form. I realize this also presents a problem in making a profit out of this admirable effort.

Good luck!
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby elviscaprice » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Barmy wrote:This band has been bootlegged to death so reissues off vinyl seem redundant. Their fan base basically already has their material in some form. I realize this also presents a problem in making a profit out of this admirable effort.

Good luck!

Bootlegged MP3's, hardly worth listening too. Obviously you have not heard Scott Davies remasters off of vinyl and what great sound can be extracted to a digital lossless format. This has never been made available and would very much be demanded by the small fan base that still exists. I think I would sell downloads, remastered, forget hard copies. Much cheaper to market, same quality.
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Barmy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:20 am

Um, bootlegged Lux vinyl is readily available in various formats and sounds fine. That was my point. If they can't find the masters, it seems like a tough sell.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:59 am

All, I have had some more email exchanges and the feedback has been reviewed . The likely scenario is the following . They will ask for track listing below and if the second CD material is hard to get hold of , too expensive etc. etc they will stick with trying to get the CD1 through as a stand alone CD . This will also be probably dependent ( as per the discussions here ) on master tapes , licence costs but the company do want to put something out that is attractive to us

As I said in my previous post I am just really pleased that someone is prepared to try and get this released and I would have probably been happy with hired history and some selected 12" versions like the mood release a few years back

Anyway here we go and lets hope it all works out

Artist: Fiat Lux

Title: Hired History

Original catalogue # 821 637-1

CD 1: Hired History & More
1/ Secrets (03:40)
2/ Photography (04:38)
3/ Blue Emotion (Extended Version) (05:17)
4/ Comfortable Life (02:43)
5/ Sleepless Nightmare (Extended Version) (04:24)
6/ Aqua Vitae (04:02)
Bonus Material:
7/ Feels Like Winter Again (04:19) (Cocteau Records - COQ9)
8/ This Illness (04:06) (Cocteau Records - COQ9)
9/ Photography (7" Version) (03:50) (cat # FIAT1)
10/ Aqua Vitae (Extended Remix) (05:13) (cat # FIAT1X)
11/ Blue Emotion (7" Version) (04:13) (cat # FIAT3)
12/ Sleepless Nightmare (03:56) (cat # FIAT3)
13/ House Of Thorns (7" Version) (cat # FIAT4)
14/ House Of Thorns (12" Version) (05:02) (cat # FIAT4X)
15/ Solitary Lovers (7" Version) (03:47) (cat # FIAT5)
16/ Three's Company (03:28) (cat # FIAT4)
17/ Solitary Lovers (12" Version) (05:21) (cat # FIAT5X)
18/ Sally Free And Easy (04:28) (cat # FIAT4X)
19/ No More Proud (02:27) (cat # FIAT5)
20/ No More Proud (Proud Mix) (04:33) (cat # FIATX5)
21/ No More Proud (Dub Mix) (02:16) (cat #' FIATX5)
22/ Three's Company (12" Version) (04:52) (cat # FIATX4)

CD 2: Unreleased material:
1/ The Moment (03:09)
2/ Breaking The Boundary (03:30)
3/ Blue Emotion (Original Version) (04:48)
4/ Embers (04:48)
5/ Splurge (Full Band Version)
6/ No More Proud (2:40 Version)
7/ Aqua Vitae (Album Version)
8/ Photography (Bill Nelson Version)
9/ Solitary Lovers (Album Version) (04:25)
10/ In The Heat Of The Night (04:50)
11/ Comfortable Life (Bill Nelson Version)
12/ Hold Me While You Can (04:13)

Tracks 7 & 8 on CD 1 and tracks 8 & 11 on CD 2 will need to be licensed from Cocteau Records directly
All other tracks are controlled by Universal.
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Barmy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:32 pm

thunderbird, I would certainly pay a hefty price for quality masters on CD of ANYTHING by Fiat Lux. I don't know if crowdsourcing/bandcamping/etc. this is relevant because maybe the members of FL aren't involved.

But in my opinion FL is one of the best new wave bands ever, by far. I hate to even use the term "synth group" with regard to them, but whatever, they consistently surpassed virtually all of the more celebrated groups in their genre.

My only issue with your tracklist is all the alternate versions. Rather have more other songs than alternates. But whatever is possible is great.

Nuff said.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby darthsmaull » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:54 am

Just dropping in for my bi-monthly visit to the forum - seeing a thread like this was something I had all but given up hope of...!!

You can count me in to buy *whatever* can be put together officially as long as it is a good quality product - obviously the more comprehensive the better, but I'll take whatever is achievable.

In terms of a physical product I'd like to see some detailed informative liner notes (written by someone with an in-depth knowledge of the band) and period photos of the band and the releases at the time.

Great news all round - fingers crossed this is successful - and good luck to all involved trying to make this happen!!
darthsmaull
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations