Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Devo - Social Fools The Virgin Singles

Devo - Social Fools The Virgin Singles

Postby BigManRestless » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 am

New compilation, out tomorrow, October 23rd in the UK.

Nothing overly exciting on it but looks a handy one stop shop for a-sides and b-sides. And before anyone asks Satisfaction was not a Virgin single, it was on Stiff in the UK.

1. Come Back Jonee
2. Social Fools
3. The Day My Baby Gave Me a Surprise
4. Penetration in the Centrefold
5. Secret Agent Man
6. Soo Bawlz
7. Girl U Want
8. Turn Around
9. Whip It
10. Snowball
11. Gates of Steel
12. Through Being Cool
13. Race of Doom
14. Working in a Coal Mine
15. Enough Said
16. Beautiful World
17. The Super Thing
18. Peek-a-boo
19. Find Out
20. Peek-a-boo (Dance Velocity)
21. Peek-a-boo (DEVO Dub)
22. Flimsy Wrap
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Re: Devo - Social Fools The Virgin Singles

Postby anfunny2003 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:27 pm

I couldn't find this anywhere - I have three HMV's near me, two of them very big, and they each had one copy on order and it sold on the day of release in each store! It was £6.99, too... very cheap. Amazon tell me they can't get any stock until November 2nd. My local indies similarly can't get any stock... bizarre. I've ordered a copy for £6.49 from an Amazon Marketplace seller, but I bet they tell me there is a delay or something! :D
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 pm

I just got the CD today. I'm happy to say that it's NOT brickwalled in the least. I'm amazed to see a CD in this day and age retain FULL dynamic range. After giving the CD a good inspection, it appears all songs are brand new tape transfers, likely from the original single masters, without any unnecessary tweaking. That being said, there are some very minor imperfections. There are a couple of very slight tape fluctuations, such as right at the beginning of Soo Bawlz and right at the absolute end of Beautiful World. The New Trad tracks sound no more or less dull than they have on any previous release. Also, all versions of Peek A Book sound as if the opening sound is lightly faded in as opposed to a consistent volume. But all of these are minor quibbles. I really didn't need anything on this collection other than Social Fools and Turn Around, and those are flawless. I've not read the liner notes yet but I expect it won't be anything new and informative. Overall, this is a very highly recommended collection.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:25 am

Is it possible to anybody to give track times for this release? Are those all really single versions or there are album versions too?
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 am

The only UK Virgin a-side that was edited is Come Back Jonee and this CD does indeed have the 7" mix.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 am

BigManRestless wrote:The only UK Virgin a-side that was edited is Come Back Jonee and this CD does indeed have the 7" mix.

Thank you!

Strange how this band started well in the UK but faded quickly - they should've had a better carrier there...
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations