Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Associates - Punch / Drawer / Sulk Remasters

Re: Associates - Punch / Drawer / Sulk Remasters

Postby hypnohighball » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:29 pm

Over at the "Affectionate Bunch" Facebook page for The Associates, Alan Rankine is a member and contributes regularly. I'll bet he'd answer some of these questions if they were posted there or at his own Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694109 ... 7/?fref=nf
hypnohighball
Take On Me

Postby anemiccinema » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Since all the recent talk of the Associates and the excellent remasters - an interest of note is that an unreleased instrumental version from Sulk "Skipping" surfaces on a compilation of projects John Murphy was involved in. This is a post-mortem tribute to his career most are of the dark industrial Coil Lustmord style. The compilation is called All My "Sins Remembered - The Sonic Worlds Of John Murphy - limited to 750 copies.
anemiccinema
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:28 am

This instrumental version has been newly created. On to another topic, someone mentioned they wish there would be remastered 2-CD editions of PERHAPS and GLAMOUR CHASE too. Yes sure we want! About Glamor Chase I read in Tom Doyle's book p 162 that there were Warner advance promos of this LP at the time (1988/89), well I have never seen one or even a photo of one. But I do list the supposed track listings for the planned 1988 as well as the planned 1989 LP here. http://www.discog.info/associates-1.html

Planned LP/MC/CD Nov 1988:

1.Reach the Top 3.40
2.Heart of Glass 4.04
3.Terrorbeat 3.42
4.Set Me Up 4.25
5.Country Boy 3.02

6.Because You Love 5.25
7.You'd Be the One 4.42
8.Empires of the Heart 6.22
9.In Windows All 7.26 (LP: WEA, WX 222)

10.Heaven's Blue 1.12 [bonus track on MC/CD]
11.Take Me To the Girl 4.24 [bonus track on MC/CD] (MC/CD: WX 222C / 244 619-2)

Planned LP/MC/CD 24 Oct 1989:

1.Reach the Top 3.40
2.Terrorbeat 3.42
3.You'd Be the One 4.42
4.Heart of Glass 4.04
5.Because You Love 5.25
6.Country Boy 3.02

7.The Rhythm Divine 5.49
8.Empires of the Heart 6.22
9.Set Me Up 4.25
10.In Windows All 7.26 (LP: WEA)

11.Snowball 4.11 [bonus track on MC/CD]
12.Just Can't Say Goodbye [3.55 fade-out? 7.19 12" Version?] [bonus track on MC/CD]
13.Take Me To the Girl 4.24 [bonus track on MC/CD]
14.Heart of Glass (12" version) [Dub Mix by Francis Kevorkian/Goh Hotoda?] (MC/CD: WEA)

(Thanks to Gary Lornie for this information - he has the proof cover that was used to sell the album to the shops.)

So, has anyone seen any of these promo LPs or any exact lists?
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Hi guys, may be strange bringing such an old topic to live, but I wanted to know what those who bought them think of 2016 remasters. I compared the sound of "Fourth drawer down" from 2000 and 2016 and the latter sounds much quieter. http://dr.loudness-war.info site states that the new remaster "Matches (almost) the 2000 reissue", which isn't true at all, the sound level difference is very big, 2000 one simply booms out of the speakers while 2016 one is much more smooth, which I find very nice.

Are all other released albums quieter too? Sounds like whoever did the remasters got them right, for a change.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 am

"The Affectionate Punch" Original LP re-mastering by Tim Turan. Tape transfers of original LP tracks by Kane.
"Fourth Drawer Down" Associates reissues produced by Michael Dempsey.
"Sulk" Remastered from 1/4 tape.
That's all I could find in the booklets regarding remastering.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:13 pm

discoginfo wrote:"The Affectionate Punch" Original LP re-mastering by Tim Turan. Tape transfers of original LP tracks by Kane.
"Fourth Drawer Down" Associates reissues produced by Michael Dempsey.
"Sulk" Remastered from 1/4 tape.
That's all I could find in the booklets regarding remastering.

Fascinating info! But what about the sound quality? That's what I'm interested in!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:04 pm

I found the 2016 reissues to be a little loud, but better dynamic range than the 2000 cds. Would've loved Rubellan Remasters to have done the job instead.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:52 am

Thank you, omar. I like 2016 remasters much better but then, I have nothing to compare them to besides 2000 ones. Those are atrocious.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:17 pm

I always feel that the whole Associates back catalogue could be revamped. Perhaps a boxset with all the individual cds,bbc sessions remixes and the complete Affectionate Punch remix album too. Soundwise all the previous remasters were loud and brick walled . Dynamic range on the 2016 ones was slightly better but still a little harsh to the ears.
omar
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations