Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Associates - Punch / Drawer / Sulk Remasters

Re: Associates - Punch / Drawer / Sulk Remasters

Postby omar » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:20 am

Where's Party Fears Two 12"? This however looks like a very good reissue program. I hope the sound is awesome too.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:04 am

Signed bundles available via Pledge Music: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/associates
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby cispas » Fri May 20, 2016 8:17 am

omar wrote:Where's Party Fears Two 12"? This however looks like a very good reissue program. I hope the sound is awesome too.

I'm listening to the Sulk Remaster right now and it seems to me that the (only very slightly longer and absolutely unimpressive) 12" version of Party Fears Two was used instead of the album version.
PS : the instrumental version is great fun btw, I put it on repeat ; can't stop singing/screaming along ! My wife is hysterical and she threatens to leave me !!!
:wink:
cispas
Personal Jesus

Postby cork » Mon May 23, 2016 11:56 am

For the best of CD - what is the remastering like?
cork
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Mon May 23, 2016 1:12 pm

I think they used the previous remasters from 2005.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Mon May 23, 2016 3:40 pm

cork wrote:For the best of CD - what is the remastering like?

They used for most of the tracks the V2 remasters froom 2000.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon May 23, 2016 3:50 pm

I've ordered all three 2016 remasters thru Amazon.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Sun May 29, 2016 4:09 am

Badly need the 2CD Deluxe treatment for the album "Perhaps".......
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 pm

Got my CDs today. Amazon US has great prices thru third party sellers. I'm blown away somewhat by how nice these sound. Only heard Fourth Drawer Down so far. The previous remaster sound shrill in comparison. This new one is right on the money. If these sell enough we might see reissues of Perhaps/Glamour Chase, although by then Billy was on his own, so who knows.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby hypnohighball » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:48 pm

omar wrote:Got my CDs today. Amazon US has great prices thru third party sellers. I'm blown away somewhat by how nice these sound. Only heard Fourth Drawer Down so far. The previous remaster sound shrill in comparison. This new one is right on the money. If these sell enough we might see reissues of Perhaps/Glamour Chase, although by then Billy was on his own, so who knows.

Yea, Alan Rankine and Michael Dempsey did all the work on these and they weren't on the later Associates/Billy albums, so it would have to be someone else. Add to the fact none of them really sold well and weren't regarded too well when released. Although, the Perhaps/Glamour Chase 2 cd set has sold out and is getting pricey, so who knows?
hypnohighball
Take On Me

Postby Gary Russell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:14 pm

hypnohighball wrote:
omar wrote:Got my CDs today. Amazon US has great prices thru third party sellers. I'm blown away somewhat by how nice these sound. Only heard Fourth Drawer Down so far. The previous remaster sound shrill in comparison. This new one is right on the money. If these sell enough we might see reissues of Perhaps/Glamour Chase, although by then Billy was on his own, so who knows.

Yea, Alan Rankine and Michael Dempsey did all the work on these and they weren't on the later Associates/Billy albums, so it would have to be someone else. Add to the fact none of them really sold well and weren't regarded too well when released. Although, the Perhaps/Glamour Chase 2 cd set has sold out and is getting pricey, so who knows?

Well "regarded too well" is a matter of opinion, not fact, because opinions cannot by definition be facts.

As to sales, both Perhaps and Wild & Lonely sold better/charted higher than Fourth Drawer Down and The Affectionate Punch (both versions). And as Glamour Chase never *got* released in the 80s as planned, that can't be judged in situ.
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:26 pm

I wonder why they didn't include more tracks on THE AFFECTIONATE PUNCH from the 1982 Remix LP.. only two. There were space enough on CD 1.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:15 pm

All of Billy's albums are masterpieces and the later work is as good as the earlier. I don't know whether the later work is still in print, but I feel he definitely got better with age.
Last edited by Barmy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby hypnohighball » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:29 pm

discoginfo wrote:I wonder why they didn't include more tracks on THE AFFECTIONATE PUNCH from the 1982 Remix LP.. only two. There were space enough on CD 1.

Well, actuallythere are four :

A
Would I Bounce Back
Amused As Always
The Affectionate Punch.

All is explained in the liner notes, and it was never a secret Billie and Alan hated the remixes and regret doing them. The first two were released as a single and were pretty good. When they went to do the rest of the album, they lost interest and it shows. I guess the last two tracks I listed above were the only ones Alan deemed worthy of this release from the remixed album.
hypnohighball
Take On Me

Postby discoginfo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:07 pm

I did read the booklet. I assumed that the first two (A & Would I Bounce Back) are the 1981 single remixes, and that the other two are the 1982 album remixes. Are you saying that the 1981 single remixes were used on the 1982 album? Because the 1981 single remixes were produced by The Associates/Mike Hedges, whereas the 1982 LP was produced by Associates/Mark Arthurworrey. (I don't have the 1997 CD to compare with....)
discoginfo
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations