Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

12" Dance: 80's pop

12" Dance: 80's pop

Postby omar » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 am

Just saw this listed on AmazonUK for a Mar.25th release.

Disc: 1
1. Gold (12'' Mix) - Spandau Ballet
2. The Reflex (Dance Mix) - Duran Duran
3. Torch (Extended Version) - Soft Cell
4. Shout (Extended Version) - Tears For Fears
5. Dancing With Tears In My Eyes (12'' Version) - Ultravox
6. This Charming Man (New York Vocal) - The Smiths
7. The Killing Moon (All Night Version) - Echo And The Bunnymen
8. Ghost Town (Extended Version) - The Specials
9. Summertime (Extended 12'' Mix) - Fun Boy Three
10. Robert De Niro's Waiting (Extended Version) - Bananarama

Disc: 2
1. Don't You (Forget About Me) [12'' Version] - Simple Minds
2. The Sun Always Shines On T.V. [Extended Version] - A-Ha
3. Like to Get to Know You Well [International Mix] - Howard Jones
4. Life's What You Make It (Extended Mix) - Talk Talk
5. Come To My Aid (Survival Mix) [2008 Remastered Version] - Simply Red
6. You Are My World (12" Remix) - The Communards
7. Self Control (Extended Version) - Laura Branigan
8. Owner Of A Lonely Heart (Extended Remix) - Yes
9. We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome) [Extended Version] - Tina Turner
10. Glory Of Love (Extended Version) - Peter Cetera

Disc: 3
1. It's A Sin (Disco Mix) [2001 Remastered Version] - Pet Shop Boys
2. True Faith (Shep Pettibone Remix) - New Order
3. Getting Away With It (Extended Mix) - Electronic
4. She Drives Me Crazy (The David Z Remix) - Fine Young Cannibals
5. Deep And Wide And Tall (Breakdown Mix) - Aztec Camera
6. On The Beach (Special Extended Remix) - Chris Rea
7. Little Lies (Extended Version) - Fleetwood Mac
8. Respectable (Club Mix) - Mel & Kim
9. Nothing Has Been Proved (Dance Mix) - Dusty Springfield
10. You're History (Maximised Version) - Shakespear's Sister
omar
Room at the Top

Re: 12" Dance: 80's pop

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:23 am

Just curious if the version of Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart is the Special "Red & Blue" Remix Dance Version that's clocked at 7:50 minutes and not the so called '7:05 minutes edit' from the 2004 reissue of 90125.
Luke
Personal Jesus

Postby audiodile » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:39 pm

It truly boggles the mind how many times the same 50 remixes can be released over and over while hundreds of others, including of songs that were actually big hits, sit collecting dust and have yet to see a single release.

If the music industry actually wanted to sell physical media, just perhaps they should put more than 0% effort into it. Stuff like this is a joke and proves that no one is listening.
Last edited by audiodile on Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby Neil Kelly » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:15 pm

audiodile wrote:It truly boggles the mind how many times the same 50 remixes can be released over and over while hundreds of others, including of songs that were actually big hits, sit collecting dust and have to see a single release.

If the music industry actually wanted to sell physical media, just perhaps they should put more than 0% effort into it. Stuff like this is a joke and proves that no one is listening.

Agree!
Neil Kelly
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:26 pm

all you complainers have no CLUE as to how much it costs to license tracks.

it takes a long time to find them, and a long time to get good mastered versions.

my friend worked in the music industry, and we have tried to get record companies to make compilations,
and boxsets for groups that don't have good ones.

they don't care because the profits are not there.

if you put obscure tracks on compilations, not many people will buy them.

so you have to go with tracks people know.

DONT COMPLAIN..... Make your own compilations for yourselves.

thats what i do. there are plenty of people with rare tracks here on this site.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:37 pm

On One hand i like the idea that the 12" collections are still thriving on cd as more and more people (in particular younger fans) are rediscovering stuff before they were perhaps even born. But then at the same time many older 80s fans keep on getting the same remixes again and again. How many cds are out there with You Spin Me Round (Murder Mix) or Spandau's Gold (12") ?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby audiodile » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:44 pm

negative1 wrote:all you complainers have no CLUE as to how much it costs to license tracks.

it takes a long time to find them, and a long time to get good mastered versions.
if you put obscure tracks on compilations, not many people will buy them....so you have to go with tracks people know.

Nope, I don't know what it costs, because I'm not in the music industry and it isn't my job to try to sell physical media. If it WAS my job, you can bet I'd have done my research enough to know that there are a lot of people who have been waiting a long time for a lot of songs. Is every track going to be obtainable and viable for use? Of course not, but I find it extremely hard to believe that none of them are.

What I do know is that some of these tracks have been on dozens of other already existing and easy to find compilations, used at next to nothing prices. Anyone seeking these tracks who is not an idiot, probably has them already on multiple different other CDs. Please explain to me who exactly is the market for this release? Someone who's never attempted to buy these songs before, which is.... who exactly?

I don't want to "make my own compilation". I already have pretty much every single remix I'm aware of on mp3, the issue is that I want a physical copy so I can have a reliable backup with excellent sound quality. Many if not most remixes have never been released digitally for sale so if you have them it's only because you or someone else ripped it from vinyl or someone else's extremely rare CD.

Trust me, if I knew something I could personally do to get these companies to release this stuff, you can bet I wouldn't be sitting on a forum bitching about it. I've sent emails and tweets, but that doesn't tend to ever even get a response. So please, if you're going to tell me not to complain, I'd like you to have some much better suggestions than "make your own compliations."
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby thunderbird2 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 am

I think the best way was like the retroactive series that seemed to combine some obscure tracks along with some of the more popular ones as I can understand both views

Even with the more popular bands surely there are some mixes that are still hard to get hold of

I think we some better investigation / polling the forums and a healthy mix of some popular tracks along with some more obscure ones it would be a much better compilation
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Luke » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:59 am

audiodile wrote:
negative1 wrote:all you complainers have no CLUE as to how much it costs to license tracks.

if you put obscure tracks on compilations, not many people will buy them....so you have to go with tracks people know.

Nope, I don't know what it costs, because I'm not in the music industry and it isn't my job to try to sell physical media. If it WAS my job, you can bet I'd have done my research enough to know that there are a lot of people who have been waiting a long time for a lot of songs. Is every track going to be obtainable and viable for use? Of course not, but I find it extremely hard to believe that none of them are.

What I do know is that some of these tracks have been on dozens of other already existing and easy to find compilations, used at next to nothing prices. Anyone seeking these tracks who is not an idiot, probably has them already on multiple different other CDs. Please explain to me who exactly is the market for this release? Someone who's never attempted to buy these songs before, which is.... who exactly?

I don't want to "make my own compilation". I already have pretty much every single remix I'm aware of on mp3, the issue is that I want a physical copy so I can have a reliable backup with excellent sound quality. Many if not most remixes have never been released digitally for sale so if you have them it's only because you or someone else ripped it from vinyl or someone else's extremely rare CD.

Trust me, if I knew something I could personally do to get these companies to release this stuff, you can bet I wouldn't be sitting on a forum bitching about it. I've sent emails and tweets, but that doesn't tend to ever even get a response. So please, if you're going to tell me not to complain, I'd like you to have some much better suggestions than "make your own compliations."

I totally agree.

Besides that, I think that the 'making money'-driver for record companies to release stuff is totally irrelevant for music lovers who (finally) want their favourite stuff released on a proper format like a CD. The two are conflicting against each other.

However, record companies can be their worst enemy if you look at the latest Phill Collins remasters which a quite laughable (if you are a fan and was expecting more out of it).

It matters at what angle and perspective you look at it.
Luke
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:08 am

ok, i get it.

but the other problem is, and a whole other topic.

streaming media and sites, have huge popularity. (spotify)

so most deluxe editions and tracks are free.

no, you can find older ones, but for most people, some don't even pay for what they listen to now.

there are lots of comments about it here:
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/featu ... ial-again/

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:22 pm

There are many reasons for track omissions and repeated content, and it's all down to finances.

There are instances where labels no longer have paperwork pertaining to material, so it's a potential royalties nightmare, so they blanket refuse to grant a license. They don't know if people have been paid or there may be unanswered questions regarding the recordings or samples or songwriters, which prevent them from selling them. I certainly know of one album which is so tied up in messy legalities, that it will almost certainly never be released. Sad, but true.

Other times, they can't physically find the recordings in their archaic filing systems, be they misplaced, damaged or not returned when loaned out. Sometimes, a bit like lost Dr Who episodes (!), they're missing until found by accident and returned. They don't have the time or money to dedicate to spending hours/days finding that one song you want, so they knock you back.

Also, contracts, artist agreements, inherited catalogues (when one label buys out another, or acquires it in a takeover, etc.) and legal red tape mean a song, or an artist, is out of bounds and more trouble than it's worth for a label to try and license, so they just turn down a license request. The money they get from licensing the odd track here and there isn't worth a load of legal expense or man hours trying to resolve.

And then there's the simple fact that sometimes, labels couldn't care less about a rare remix of minor hit from the 80s. Why should they care about a rival label's forthcoming compilation? It's not their concern, there's little incentive to be co-operative, so it's not a priority for them. They have their own products to research, compile and promote. Any license request is pretty much a favour, so the easier it is for them to get it to you, the more likely you'll get a license granted.

So that's just a few scenarios. Yes, you will get Dead Or Alive's Murder Mix a lot lately because it was recently found, restored and is now readily available to license. The S/A/W compilation GOLD, from 2005, for example used a vinyl rip of this mix because PWL had not be found the tape in time. After that release, it was located and catalogued. Now, it's quite common place, but 10 years back? Nope. Once something is "back in service", then it will actively circulate around the compilation circuit. It's easy to get, it's already transferred from master tapes and requires little effort to include.

Most compilers start with a wish list, much like you or I, and licenses are applied for and many are knocked back (with no reason provided usually), or months/years pass by with no reply from the copyright owner and you have to settle for your second or third choice because you have a deadline for a project and if you don't do it, the label will just put it out without your input and it'll be even more generic. Don't forget, labels need to make money month to month, to pay wages and justify their existence, so a constant stream of product is required, and it has to sell reasonably well, so it has to appeal to a broad audience. 80s compilations are good evergreen sellers, so labels like to pop them out every so often, but it's small fry to them in the grand scheme of things.

So anyway, after all those "excuses", yes, sometimes, the person behind the product doesn't really care and rips vinyl and is a bit lazy and not an expert on the genre and so on and so forth. There are hundreds of license requests being made that I know of, and many of them are just sat in approval hell. No news, no progress, no go. There are a few really dedicated and hard working people trying to re-issue and remaster so many great albums, mixes and unreleased material but they aren't paid well and have very little influence over external administration which decides what they can and cannot have access to.
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:27 pm

anfunny2003 wrote:There are many reasons for track omissions and repeated content, and it's all down to finances.

There are instances where labels no longer have paperwork pertaining to material, so it's a potential royalties nightmare, so they blanket refuse to grant a license. They don't know if people have been paid or there may be unanswered questions regarding the recordings or samples or songwriters, which prevent them from selling them. I certainly know of one album which is so tied up in messy legalities, that it will almost certainly never be released. Sad, but true.

Other times, they can't physically find the recordings in their archaic filing systems, be they misplaced, damaged or not returned when loaned out. Sometimes, a bit like lost Dr Who episodes (!), they're missing until found by accident and returned. They don't have the time or money to dedicate to spending hours/days finding that one song you want, so they knock you back.

Also, contracts, artist agreements, inherited catalogues (when one label buys out another, or acquires it in a takeover, etc.) and legal red tape mean a song, or an artist, is out of bounds and more trouble than it's worth for a label to try and license, so they just turn down a license request. The money they get from licensing the odd track here and there isn't worth a load of legal expense or man hours trying to resolve.

And then there's the simple fact that sometimes, labels couldn't care less about a rare remix of minor hit from the 80s. Why should they care about a rival label's forthcoming compilation? It's not their concern, there's little incentive to be co-operative, so it's not a priority for them. They have their own products to research, compile and promote. Any license request is pretty much a favour, so the easier it is for them to get it to you, the more likely you'll get a license granted.

So that's just a few scenarios. Yes, you will get Dead Or Alive's Murder Mix a lot lately because it was recently found, restored and is now readily available to license. The S/A/W compilation GOLD, from 2005, for example used a vinyl rip of this mix because PWL had not be found the tape in time. After that release, it was located and catalogued. Now, it's quite common place, but 10 years back? Nope. Once something is "back in service", then it will actively circulate around the compilation circuit. It's easy to get, it's already transferred from master tapes and requires little effort to include.

Most compilers start with a wish list, much like you or I, and licenses are applied for and many are knocked back (with no reason provided usually), or months/years pass by with no reply from the copyright owner and you have to settle for your second or third choice because you have a deadline for a project and if you don't do it, the label will just put it out without your input and it'll be even more generic. Don't forget, labels need to make money month to month, to pay wages and justify their existence, so a constant stream of product is required, and it has to sell reasonably well, so it has to appeal to a broad audience. 80s compilations are good evergreen sellers, so labels like to pop them out every so often, but it's small fry to them in the grand scheme of things.

So anyway, after all those "excuses", yes, sometimes, the person behind the product doesn't really care and rips vinyl and is a bit lazy and not an expert on the genre and so on and so forth. There are hundreds of license requests being made that I know of, and many of them are just sat in approval hell. No news, no progress, no go. There are a few really dedicated and hard working people trying to re-issue and remaster so many great albums, mixes and unreleased material but they aren't paid well and have very little influence over external administration which decides what they can and cannot have access to.

thank you,

finally, a person that understands its not because companies are dumb,
or because they can't bother to do the work (sometimes they are careless though).

it's a lot harder to make these than people think.

i have made, many, many Fan compilations, some taking YEARS to complete.
i have done them for new order, underworld, fluke and other groups.

only with assistance from super 'fans', the kind that are hardcore and care about the music, can they be done.

ALL for 0 profit, or money. Only because we care about the music.

these definitely rival and surpass official releases, but only because we don't have to worry about legal issues,
licenses or anything else. no time limits. no space restraints or anything else.

there is no way, an official company could operate like that, without losing money.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 pm

off topic here,
but here is a super deluxe version of a box-set that i was working on for ABC, for 'how to be a zillionaire'.
-----------

https://zillionairedeluxe.wordpress.com/

we are trying to make it official, but they are not interested in making it or selling anything like it.

i am also making super deluxe versions for all their singles:

https://abcalphabetsoup.wordpress.com/

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Anything ABC related and I'm in. Even if super deluxe stuff isn't in the pipeline a complete 2cd collection or anthology is due big time.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:00 am

I'm sick of all these compilations having the same mixes used over and over as well but it's really simple just don't buy it no matter how cheap it is.
moni
Room at the Top

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations