Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Blue Orchids - reissues, new album, Martin Bramah solo album

Blue Orchids - reissues, new album, Martin Bramah solo album

Postby midnighttoneon » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 am

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/blueorchids

Now up at PledgeMusic, a whole slate of releases from Blue Orchids! Formed by two founding members of The Fall (Martin Bramah and Una Baines) plus another early member, Eric McGann (aka Rick Goldstraw), Blue Orchids quickly singed to Rough Trade and released a string of great records - the singles "The Flood" and "Work," their debut album "The Greatest Hit (Money Mountain" and the "Agents of Change" EP before the original line-up shattered, with later versions of the band featuring members of The Smiths, James, Dislocation Dance, The Monochrome Set and more. They were also the backing band for Nico from the Velvet Underground for quite a while. Their releases have been infrequent, but now, all at once, they're issuing:

"Awefull" - an LP-only release which gather all the Rough Trade label non-LP material and extra tracks. The PledgeMusic campaign exclusively adds a special booklet with lyrics and notes, a badge and a download card with extra tracks - demos and outtakes from the era.

Martin Bramah's never really released "The Battle Of Twisted Heel" is an LP / CD and contains the same bonuses (as above) only in versions specific to this release. The download card in particular has a lot of great stuff, incluing a collaboration with Jon Langford (Mekons, Three Johns) and more.

"The Once And Future Thing" is a brand-new LP / CD, again with a special booklet, badge and download card filled with extras.

"The Blue Orchids Bomb Manchester And Hamburg" is a double CD, each with a live show, once from 1981, the other from 1985. It also comes with a badge.

There's other stuff for fans as well, and they've already been sending out more exclusive downloads with rare tracks to pledgers.

Check it out at:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/blueorchids
midnighttoneon
Running Up That Hill

Re: Blue Orchids - reissues, new album, Martin Bramah solo a

Postby Barmy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks for this.

Frankly, NWO's usefulness has been reduced to identifying more obscure releases. I love Blue Orchids. Have no need to hear about Depeche Mode and the like, PLEASE.

And frankly NWO needs to substantially consolidate its categories. Would love a reissue site that didn't just parrot Cherry Red.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Re: Blue Orchids - reissues, new album, Martin Bramah solo a

Postby midnighttoneon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:54 am

The new Blue Orchids records are fab, too - what I've heard of them. I agree with you about Depeche Mode and all that, there's enough about those releases that they'd be hard to miss if you were a fan, but not everything's for everyone, Blue Orchids or Depeche Mode.
midnighttoneon
Running Up That Hill

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations