Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

China Crisis Re-issues

Re: China Crisis Re-issues

Postby thunderbird2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:45 am

Barmy wrote:I HAVE the first 3 CDs. Weedy vocals and blah melodies. That is simply undeniable. I mean, really, can someone mount a defense for the bland vocals of this band? African and White is their only distinctive song. And good god the silly oriental flourishes on their early albums are embarrassing. Geddit, "China" Crisis! This is MOR NW at it's worst.

And I have drug out these CDs in honour or of this thread. They sound fine. Yes, a bit thin, but perfectly fine.

I suppose it depends if you like the lightweight stuff versus the more alternative 80's stuff , I mean I am really into industrial electronics like Front 242 , nitzerebb , frontline assembly but I also have a big soft spot for some of the more lighter stuff , e.g Lotus eaters , furniture , Fra Lippo Lippi and the later talk talk stuff
I think what this shows is the era that this website focuses on is brilliant because it involved such diverse bands and styles

u just have to look at some of the re-runs of the 82 top of the pops at the moment and think bloody hell will we ever get an era like that again , with heavy metal , mod , ska , jazz funk , synthpop , goth , new romantic all in the same chart
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby Barmy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks.

We won't get another era like that again.

China Crisis could not even exist today.

So I'm glad they did exist.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:58 am

Musically they're quite good (at least for the first three albums) and I find no offence in their Eastern flourishes. But vocally they're one of the weakest bands of all "New Wave". Well, at least, it seems, Eddie Lundon has a decent voice - but Gary Daly is hopeless, his stylings had put me off much of their music for a long time (like David Sylvian's with Japan, for example). So their songs were an acquired taste until rather recently. So not one of the top bands of their era - but still good and worthy.

Oh yes - their original CD pressings sound fine to me so no real need for the remasters.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations