Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Our Daughter's Wedding coming to CD and LP from master tapes

Re: Our Daughter's Wedding coming to CD and LP from master t

Postby Surly » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:45 am

Rubellan wrote:It's not about room, it's about licensing. Someone once posted how certain labels view anything that deviates from a straight reissue as a "compilation", and thus it changes the cost. For example, that old Kissing the Pink reissue on Wounded Bird had repeated tracks from an included EP because it was cheaper to have the EP represented in full than it would have been to exclude the repeated tracks. However, Sony allows you to do whatever you want without it really affecting the licensing fee.

That was me, and it's correct. When I worked for Warner Bros, I pleaded with the Rhino team to reconsider their policy but they wouldn't hear of it. Even now, Sony is apparently the easiest label to work with. My best friend runs the Night Fever reissue label and has many vinyl reissues of Sony-owned titles planned. The other labels? Not so much. He did say Universal is receptive to a lot of what he wants to put out, but even for vinyl releases where he is considering bonus tracks or special packaging, the costs and guarantees often stop him from doing what he really dreams of doing.

I can relate to the whole wanting to oversee the proofs issue as well. When I was at Universal and working on the Fixx Ultimate collection, I was given a chance to review the audio, and it was a good thing - I caught a clipped intro on the single edit of "Built For The Future." But since I couldn't review the artwork proofs, I didn't get to catch that someone didn't properly capture my track annotations, and one of the chart positions listed for one of the songs (I can't recall which one offhand) is wrong. Also, a guy there wrote the liner notes; someone who doesn't know much about the band. They should have asked me to do that as well (I thought we were simply going with Adam's track-by-track notes).
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:56 pm

Surly, can you give me any idea how much it costs to license an album from Sony or Universal? I know it's not cheap but i would love someone to finally tell me. I can never get labels who license from majors to tell me.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby telekon3 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:58 pm

:D
Last edited by telekon3 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Surly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Rubellan wrote:Surly, can you give me any idea how much it costs to license an album from Sony or Universal? I know it's not cheap but i would love someone to finally tell me. I can never get labels who license from majors to tell me.

I wish I knew, but I haven't worked in the biz in almost 10 years! I'll ask my friend, though - he has been licensing albums recently for vinyl reissue on his label, Night Fever Music.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Spudboy » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:42 pm

Rubellan, if it's any consolation my last name is DAVIS and whenever I travel overseas it magically gets changed to DAVIES on most passenger manifests and reservation lists... so imagine the difficulty I have trying to prove I am who I really say that I am.
Still looking for my girl with auburn hair and tawny eyes...
Spudboy
Personal Jesus

Postby anemiccinema » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:11 pm

Great Job - the remaster sounds fantastic.
anemiccinema
Personal Jesus

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations