Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

DEAD OR ALIVE - SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOX 19 Disc Box Set!

Re: DEAD OR ALIVE - SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOX 19 Disc Box Set!

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:58 pm

I got my "Sophisticated Boom Box" today! Having heard here in advance about the errors with several of the discs, I was already mentally prepared for it and did not have a complete meltdown. Yes, the errors are aplenty and unfortunate, but it appears that Edsel are quickly acting to acknowledge and correct the mistakes. I've already had a response from the CD manufacturers and hope to have the replacement discs in a few weeks time.

In the mean time I can comment on a few things for those who may be curious. First of the all, the packaging is GORGEOUS. A truly top notch design. The inner booklet has great liner notes from Pete, gloriously colorful photos for each album and comprehensive credits and discography. Kudos to those involved in the design - I couldn't have asked for a more beautifully packaged set.

I am a stickler for audio quality and am happy to say that while I have not listened to EVERYTHING from start to finish, so far I am extremely pleased. Errors aside, the tracks I've sampled certainly appear to be from high quality masters. The Up Ducky and Dust Monkey's Love Bubble mixes of "Brand New Lover" sound clearer than any previous version I have in my CD collection. I've compared some of the new discs to the original CD releases in my library and they are (somewhat) louder, and generally seem to have much better EQ - brighter high end and deeper low end. Even the mono "Youthquake" CDs sound promising - can't wait to actually get the corrected discs!! Audio-wise, I think it's safe to say the quality here is on par with the recent Bananarama releases from Edsel.

So far there are only two things I've noticed that kind of confuse me. On "Nukleopatra", they used the shorter version of the title track instead of the 7:04 version on the original Japanese CD. And the version of "Unhappy Birthday" (6:14) on the same Japanese CD of "Nukleopatra" is omitted. So far I don't see those two versions elsewhere. But I'll live lol.

I have not bothered with the DVD's yet as those are not my main interest in this collection, though I'm sure I will watch them at some point.

It's gonna take a while to truly take this all in that's for sure. Once the corrected discs are in place, this will absolutely stand as the ultimate Dead Or Alive collection.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Oh I did just notice, in looking at my own vinyl transfers of DOA remixes, the USA Club Mix of "Baby Don't Say Goodbye" IS included here, on the "Rip It Up" Disc #2. The Instrumental mix of that is also on the "Rip It Up" disc. Missing however, is the "Cheer Vocal" and "Dub" mixes.

Not complaining, though - just happened to notice.

It's also GREAT to hear the "Naughty XXX Mix" of "Something In My House" in full CD quality :-)
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks Fred, I really appreciate your review ... it makes me want to (again) purchase this box set. I was holding off after reading about all of the errors, but would love to own it once all of the problems are resolved.
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

Replacement audio and video was signed off today. Hope everyone is happy with the corrections. Replacements discs being sent out w/c November 28th and new stock via Amazon will have the corrected discs inside when dispatched on or before December 15th. :)
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:36 am

hold on, there are more errors being reported:
(From steve hoffman forums)

[i don't consider the vinyl rips errors though]

================
FURTHER BOOM BOX ERRORS

Hello, I have been through the box set and have highlighted some further errors and misleading information from Edsel.
I fully believe Steve had passed on master tapes however Edsel have cut corners to avoid the cost of transfer of analogue and DAT to digital files.

Thanks to Leon for highlighting and error on disc 1 which lead me to listen right through the box set.

Please note this is not a poor reflection on anyone other than Edsel.

I have emailed this list to Edsel via email and their Facebook page

Sophisticated Boom Boom CD 1 (Sophisticated Boom Box)

Track 8 Wish You Were Here

Is cut short in the blending of these two tracks

Track 9 Misty Circles

15 That's The Way (I Like It) [7" Version)

Plays at a slower speed

Sophisticated Boom Boom (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 2

The following tracks have been ripped directly from the Cherry Pop release and it is confirmed that all were sourced from Vinyl from the curator of that project.

Track 1 Misty Circles [Dance Mix]

Track 2 What I Want [Original Dance Mix]

Track 3 I'd Do Anything [Megamix]

Track 4 That's The Way (I Like It) [Extended Version]

Track 12 Keep That Body Strong (That's The Way)

Is a direct rip from the same CD and despite edsel claiming the dub version is different, it is the same track as you can hear the blend from ‘Track 3 That's The Way (I Like It) [Extended Version]’ at the start.

Mad, Bad, And Dangerous To Know (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 1

Track 11 I Want You [7" Mix]

Sourced from vinyl. Audio is extremely noisy at the start.

High-hat sounds are very hard to not notice in vinyl transfers also.

Track 12 Brand New Lover [Edit]

Audio is slow and is most likely taken from the ‘That’s the way I like it’ hits CD where the fault is exactly the same.

Track 17 Hooked On Love [Remix]

Sourced from vinyl.

The click and pop filter used has caused the bass drum sound to decrease,

Rip It Up (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 1

Track 12 Baby Don't Say Goodbye [The Powerful Club Twelve]

Sourced from Vinyl as a low bit rate mp3

Again the dead giveaway is the high hat and cymbals

Track 13 Something In My House [Short Version]

Is not the short version and is a repeat of the 7” Remix

Rip It Up (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) CD 2

Track 1 Baby Don't Say Goodbye [Club Mix]

Track 2 Baby Don't Say Goodbye [Instrumental]

Tracks are audibly easily identified as coming from a vinyl source and is sourced from a low bit rate MP3.

The high hat and cymbal sounds are a dead giveaway.

The audio is overly processed which brings out the faults from the vinyl transfer.

The US promo 12” is a very noisy vinyl and is hard to get a good clear sound from.

Track 9 You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [Blue Sky Mix]

Skips a at 3 seconds into the track.

Nude (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 1

Track Baby Don't Say Goodbye [Radio Edit]

Sourced from Vinyl as a low bit rate mp3

Again the dead giveaway is the high hat and cymbals

Nude [Remade Remodelled] (2016 Remaster Boom Box Edition) Disc 2

Track 8 Baby Don't Say Goodbye [Extended Mix]

Sourced from a low bit rate mp3

The cymbal and high hat sounds are a giveaway.

I have a copy from the original CD single which does not have the horrible audible artifacts from the poor quality of the track used for this box set.

Fan The Flame Part 1 (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016)

Track 8 And Then I Met U

(faint clicks at the start)

Track 10 Total Stranger [Remix]

Track 11 Fan The Flame Part 1 (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016)

Click sounds 3 seconds into the tracks

Nukleopatra (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 2

Track 1 Rebel Rebel (12" NRG Extended Mix)

Which is the same track as the ‘Hole Mix’ of the same track on track 6.

Click sounds throughout. Most notable at the start.

Track 12 International Thing (Nu-NRG 12" Remix)

This is not the correct mix and is the Album version from

Nukleopatra (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 1 Track 6

Fragile (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 1

Track 1 Hit And Run Lover

Click sounds throughout. Most notable at the start.

Track 2 Something In My House [2000]

Click sounds at the start of the track.

Track 3 Even Better Than The Real Thing

Louder click sounds at the start of the track.

Track 7 You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [2000]

Track 12 Blue Christmas [2000]

Fragile (Sophisticated Boom Box 2016) Disc 3

Track 5 Hit & Run Lover [Hit Remix]

Clicks at the start of the track.

Track 8 Why's It So Hard

Clicks at the start of the track as well as towards the end

----------------------------

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:52 pm

I have no doubt that the "fixed" CDs are full of errors.

At this point I have an unsealed amazon.co.uk boxset, in the unlikely event it becomes a collector's item. For now, I will keep it sealed.

I've requested the fixes.

Beyond that, I don't care. In my mind the DoA Evolution DVD featured their best songs in an excellent format. The remainder is extraneous.

That said, DoA were a superior act, both for being pro-gay (in an era when Boy George and his sickening ilk were grossly coy) and strong vocals.

If this is the end, I will accept it, but it sucks.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:26 am

Anyone had their replacement discs yet?
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Gary Russell » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:55 am

BigManRestless wrote:Anyone had their replacement discs yet?

Yup, on Friday just gone
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:48 am

I received all the replacement discs already and I am in CA. I didn't listen for the error corrections but listen to the tracks off the cd and they sound great.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:43 pm

BigManRestless wrote:Anyone had their replacement discs yet?

I'm in Michigan, USA and received my replacement discs today. At least they kept on target with the date they expected replacements to be dispatched. Haven't had a chance to audition anything just yet.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Regarding the corrected replacement discs:

YOUTHQUAKE (Disc 1)
Tracks 1-9: the Left/Right channels are reversed compared to my 1994 CD. Is this an error or does it remedy an error from the mastering of THAT 1994 CD? If it's a new error, at least it is easily fixable for those of us who keep our music collections on our computers. The Extended Version of "Lover Come Back To Me" and the Performance Mix of "You Spin Me Round" have the same L/R channel assignment on the new disc as the 1994 disc.

Track 10: "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) (Murder Mix)" sounds fine here, but the recent "Phil Harding Club Mixes Of The 80s" compilation is now the ultimate source for this mix, as they found the original master tape that had been lost for decades. There simply is no comparison, and I've had about 4 other CD's with this mix on it over the years.

Track 12: "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (7" Version)" is now the correct 7" Version and does NOT appear to be from vinyl

Track 14: "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (Extended Version)" is unfortunately not as crisp as the version on the "Retro:Active6" CD. You'll want to keep that version on hand.

Comparing the sound of the original album tracks to my 1994 CD, there is no question that this new release (L/R channel-switching aside) sounds MUCH better than the 1994 release. The 1994 CD sounds significantly muffled on most tracks compared to the 2016 version.

YOUTHQUAKE (Disc 2)
Track 3: "Lover Come Back To Me (Extended Remix)" was 5:55 is now 5:46 which is the length of version on the "Retro:Active5" CD - so the speed is now correct. The L/R channels are reversed compared to the "Retro:Active5" version. As with "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (Extended Version)", "Retro:Active5" has the better overall sounding representation of this track, so don't throw that up on eBay just yet! The versions here aren't "bad", it's just that the "Retro:Active" ones are unquestionably better.

Track 4: "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (American Wipe-Out Mix)" was 6:21 and is now 6:46 so they must have located a full-length source for the American Wipe-Out Mix in time for the replacement discs?? I just noticed the version here is noticeably faster than the shorter versions found on "Evolution" and the "That's The Way I Like It" compilations. Hmmmmm.

Tracks 12&13: "In Too Deep (Instrumental)" and "My Heart Goes Bang (Get Me To The Doctor) (Instrumental)" appear to be from vinyl sources (listen to the last few seconds of each track at full volume)

I'll post other observations as I go through the discs, as I'm sure many of you will as well lol

Overall, I'm very pleased with the sound quality of the "Youthquake" discs. The 12" mixes all appear to be sourced from master tapes which is what I was most concerned about when this project was announced. Comparing my own vinyl transfer of "In Too Deep (Off Yer Mong Mix)" to the new CD - there's just no comparison lol. This is probably THE main track I was willing to shell out more than $100 for this set for, and it was money well spent :-)
Last edited by Fred Taghon on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:56 pm

SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOOM (Disc 1):

Track 1: The extra "I would do do do do do" repeat at the end of "I'd Do Anything" has been deleted and is now correct.

Tracks 8&9: The flow from "Wish You Were Here" into "Misty Circles" is corrected and now flows nicely

Track 12: The 7" Version of "Misty Circles" on the replacement disc appears to be from a different source and is at the correct speed.

Track 15: "That's The Way (7" Version)" also appears to be from a different source and is now at the correct speed

SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOOM (Disc 2):

Track 4: "That's The Way (Extended Version)" appears to be from a new source and has a longer, smoother fade-out. I'm guessing they found an actual master tape for this track instead of the vinyl source (which sounded amazing for vinyl!) from the Cherry Pop re-issue.

Track 5: "What I Want (1984 Dance Mix)" is now the correct version. This might be a vinyl source, but if it is it sounds pretty good.

Tracks 9&12: Edsel now acknowledge these two mixes are the same, but from two different masters. I personally think the sound quality of Track 12 is better than Track 9.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:15 pm

MAD, BAD AND DANGEROUS TO KNOW (Disc 1):

Tracks 4&5: "Then There Was You" and "Come Inside" now segue together smoothly without any gaps

Track 11: "I Want You (7" Mix)" has not been changed and is clearly from vinyl. While I would obviously prefer a version from a master tape, it's still nice to at least have this mix in some form

Track 12: "Brand New Lover (Edit)" is from a different source and is now at the correct speed
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:58 pm

RIP IT UP (Disc 1):

Track 12: "Baby Don't Say Goodbye (The Powerful Club Twelve)" has not been replaced and is from a vinyl source. Edsel have acknowledged no other source was available

Track 13: "Something In My House (Short Version)" is now the correct version - an edit of the Album Version

RIP IT UP (Disc 2):

Track 1: "Baby Don't Say Goodbye (Club Mix)" is now clearly from a master tape source with clear crisp high hats etc etc. This track is another one up there with "In Too Deep (Off Yer Mong Mix)" which I was REALLY hoping for a good master tape source version of and now I've got it! LOVE this mix.

Track 2: "Baby Don't Say Goodbye (Instrumental)" Edsel have acknowledged this track has not been changed as it is the only source available - It appears to be from vinyl.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 pm

NUDE (Disc 2):

Track 8: "Baby Don't Say Goodbye (Extended Mix)" is clearly from a new source and is now master tape quality - On the previous disc this track sounded like it was sourced from a bad MP3
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations