Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

DEAD OR ALIVE - SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOX 19 Disc Box Set!

Re: DEAD OR ALIVE - SOPHISTICATED BOOM BOX 19 Disc Box Set!

Postby omar » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:25 pm

Edsel is promptly announcing free replacement discs etc but I just cancelled my order in time before it got shipped. A corrected boxset may never appear. Perhaps they''ll reissue all the albums separately as 2cds next year.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:48 pm

It seems that nearly half of this set has some fault within. Wrong versions,poor DVD sound,incorrect speed etc. These are from various reviews online.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Other than the mono discs and the DVD issues, these errors are hard to get worked up about.

I haven't studied the contents of this set enough to know what it adds to the impeccable Evolution DVD in terms of video.

Ultimately this just adds to my exhaustion with huge CD boxsets.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby anfunny2003 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:07 pm

Barmy wrote:Other than the mono discs and the DVD issues, these errors are hard to get worked up about.

I haven't studied the contents of this set enough to know what it adds to the impeccable Evolution DVD in terms of video.

Ultimately this just adds to my exhaustion with huge CD boxsets.

I'd say 10/19 discs with issues is something to worked up about - unless you bagged a free copy some how? £100 price tag for something with repeated tracks, missing mixes, gaps on segues, mono discs, cropped videos, etc. etc. I guess only a fan of the band would know annoying it is to be served such a lukewarm offering after waiting years for something/anything. But then only a fan should be buying this? :roll:
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:32 pm

what a mess.

9 discs will be replaced, and more:
http://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/dead-a ... ke-errors/

Dead Or Alive ‘Sophisticated Boom Box MMXVI’ :
We have carefully read through all of the comments and e-mails we have received, and we are now in the process of rectifying all issues that were raised. To ensure that the changes we have made are correct, we have enlisted the help of an expert to act as a second pair of eyes and ears, and are satisfied the changes below address the issues that have been highlighted.

Thank you for the feedback – it is appreciated.

Demon will be offering replacement discs of 8CDs and 2DVDs to all customers who e-mail to the following e-mail address deadoralive@optimal-media.com

This is the process:

Subject line of the e mail should be ‘Dead Or Alive’
If you have purchased more than one copy and need multiple replacements, please write the number in the subject line, for instance “Dead or Alive x 2”
Customers to not write anything in the body of the e-mail apart from their name and full postal address including post code/zip code
Each e-mail will be responded to with a confirmation
The replacement discs will be ready to ship from the 28/11/2016
Optimal (the manufacturer) will ship the packages via DHL/UPS and they estimate a delivery time of 2-3 days depending on location
Below are the issues that were identified and the actions that have been taken:-

Disc 1 – Sophisticated Boom Boom – CD1

Track 1 – ‘I’d Do Anything’

Issue – Finishes with an extra “do do do” which sounds odd on play back.

We have corrected this error and are remanufacturing this disc
Disc 2 – Sophisticated Boom Boom – CD2

Track 5 – ‘What I Want’ (1984 Dance Mix)

Issue – Plays the same as Track 2 ‘Original Dance Mix’. Upon seeking advice from an expert we have now corrected this and will re-manufacture this disc

Track 9 – ‘That’s The Way I Like It’ (Dub)

Issue – plays the same as Track 12 – ‘Keep That Body Strong (That’s The Way)’.

Despite being extremely similar, these versions are different. We understand that the (Dub Version) was an earlier version of ‘Keep That Body Strong’. From a historical perspective, we are keeping this in place.
Disc 3 – Youthquake – CD1

Issue – plays in Mono
Issue – Track 12 – ‘My Heart Goes Bang’ (7″ Version) plays the same as album version

We have corrected the mono error and are remanufacturing this disc
We have sourced a new master for ‘My Heart Goes Bang’ (7″ Version)
Disc 4 – Youthquake – CD2

Issue – plays in Mono
Issue – Track 4 – My Heart Goes Bang [American WIPE-OUT Mix]
Issue – Track 8 – You Spin Me Round [Big Ben Mix]. Sounds like it’s a reconstruction, using a clean intro (lifted from the Performance Mix), and a clean 7″ single version, with the bells/chimes in between coming from a crackly vinyl source

We have corrected the mono error and are remanufacturing this disc
Track 4 – My Heart Goes Bang [American WIPE-OUT Mix] should actually be listed as an ‘Edit’. The full length mix has never been released on CD, however at present we are unable to source a master with the full, unedited 6:45 duration.
Issue – Track 8 – You Spin Me Round [Big Ben Mix] – We were supplied an analogue tape by Sony. We believe the chimes may have been lifted from another source and edited to create this unique mix at the time of production.
Disc 6 – Mad, Bad, And Dangerous To Know – CD1

Issue – There is an awkward gap between ‘Then There Was You’ and ‘Come Inside’ on the original album sequence.
Issue – ‘Brand New Lover’ (Edit) appears to be slower than any other version.

The segue between Tracks 4 & 5 has been fixed and we are remanufacturing this disc
We have sourced a replacement master for ‘Brand New Lover’ (Edit)

Disc 8 – Rip It Up – CD1

Issue – Track 13 ‘Something In My House’ (Short Version) should be an edit of the album version but plays the 7″ remix.

We have sourced a replacement master of the 3.57 “7” short version” and we are remanufacturing this disc
Disc 12 Fan The Flame (Part 1)

Issue – Track 1 ‘Fan The Flame’ (feat. Gina X) / Track 2 ‘Unhappy Birthday’.

Steve Coy included this version of ‘Fan The Flame’, as it was previously unreleased and acts as an opening prelude for the album, which was re-sequenced. Track 1 now segues seamlessly into Track 2 ‘Unhappy Birthday’, which was the original Track 2 on the 1990 Japanese release.
Disc 14 – Nukleopatra – CD2

Issue – Tracks 1 and 6 ‘Rebel Rebel’ are exactly the same (they should be different mixes).
Issue – Track 12 should be ‘International Thing’ (NU-NRG 12″ Remix) but plays the album version.

Track 6 is ‘The Hole Mix’, whereas Track 1 is an earlier shorter version of that mix. Track 1 and 6 are identical up until 6:10-ish. Track 1 has an “UGH!” at this point and ends abruptly. Track 6 has no “UGH!”, and starts to fade out instead… so they’re the same mixes, with very slight differences to the endings.

We have sourced a replacement master of the 7.02 ‘International Thing’ (NU-NRG 12″ Remix) and we are remanufacturing this disc

Disc 18 and 19 – DVD 1 & 2

Issues – Cropped, freezing issues.

We have gone back to the source masters and fixed all of these issues and are re-authoring these discs.

We would also like to highlight that in the process of putting together this set we have used the Sony and Steve Coy masters. There are no MP3s and vinyl rips used.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:35 pm

Are they going to eventually have the corrected boxset for purchase or expect people to get replacement discs from now on?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby rewind » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:23 pm

I got the Amazon version which includes a signed Pete Burns picture. That alone probably tripled in value in the last week.

I ordered my replacement discs. Eventually, maybe the original bad discs will be so rare that they will become collectibles, like that upside down airplane stamp.

Between this and my messed up New Order discs...I'll be able to put my kids through college.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Agreed with rewind. I'm surprised how fast the fixes were made. Let's see if more are needed. That said, I'm happy with my original box plus the replacements!

Oh and there is at least one typo in the message regarding the replacement process.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:15 pm

Barmy wrote:Agreed with rewind. I'm surprised how fast the fixes were made. Let's see if more are needed. That said, I'm happy with my original box plus the replacements!

Oh and there is at least one typo in the message regarding the replacement process.

the fixes aren't done yet. it's a big waste of time and money for people that were involved with this.

can't see how anyone could be happy about the situation.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:04 am

negative1 wrote:
Barmy wrote:Agreed with rewind. I'm surprised how fast the fixes were made. Let's see if more are needed. That said, I'm happy with my original box plus the replacements!

the fixes aren't done yet. it's a big waste of time and money for people that were involved with this.

can't see how anyone could be happy about the situation.

later

Same thought here on how fast they can fix and repress 10-12 discs. They should have had the quality control guy before they went to the pressing stage. That would have save them time, money, and grief. There's a handful of guys on our chat group that would have been perfect for that. Anyways, I am glad they are addressing the problems so quickly. Let's hope they do a good job with the fixes.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:01 am

Even though I didn't buy the set, the situation is so frustrating. I can't help but think if this project were in my hands, it never would have had this result. It sucks when my name is known around select groups for my remastering skills, yet my official projects are limited. I do appreciate working with Futurismo and Del is a great guy who sincerely appreciates what I bring to his projects (we met in person a few months ago at a Devo convention), but it's not a full time gig.

Recently, I contacted a local guy who has a mastering business, primarily for local bands. Though he wasn't looking for staff, he was thrilled to hear from me and impressed with the discography of titles I've remastered. He was very eager to meet and show me his studio. I got very excited. But just as quick as his enthusiasm was there, he disappeared after a very brief email exchange. I got the impression he realized that I would be competition, so why on earth would he want to help me move into the big time?

So while Edsel continues to destroy consumer confidence with good ideas but poor execution, my talents in this area are reserved for the occasional underground gig. I will appreciate it for what it is.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Rubellan wrote:Even though I didn't buy the set, the situation is so frustrating. I can't help but think if this project were in my hands, it never would have had this result. It sucks when my name is known around select groups for my remastering skills, yet my official projects are limited. I do appreciate working with Futurismo and Del is a great guy who sincerely appreciates what I bring to his projects (we met in person a few months ago at a Devo convention), but it's not a full time gig.

Recently, I contacted a local guy who has a mastering business, primarily for local bands. Though he wasn't looking for staff, he was thrilled to hear from me and impressed with the discography of titles I've remastered. He was very eager to meet and show me his studio. I got very excited. But just as quick as his enthusiasm was there, he disappeared after a very brief email exchange. I got the impression he realized that I would be competition, so why on earth would he want to help me move into the big time?

So while Edsel continues to destroy consumer confidence with good ideas but poor execution, my talents in this area are reserved for the occasional underground gig. I will appreciate it for what it is.

Scott

Scott, I for one totally appreciate your remasters. I have Sophisticated Boom Boom,the Units cds as well as King's Bitter Sweet that was stellar work. I often view your youtube posts and the immaculate vinyl rips you put out.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Scott, you were one of the people I was referring to. It would have saved then a lot of headaches later.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:43 pm

Um, I'm totally happy. I have the original amazon uk boxset, plus fixes of whatever was wrong with it. I have no doubt additional fixes may be needed but really all I care about are the videos that weren't on Evolution.

To repeat the obvious, CDs are a dead format. To expect respect for them seems outdated.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:39 pm

Barmy wrote:Um, I'm totally happy. I have the original amazon uk boxset, plus fixes of whatever was wrong with it. I have no doubt additional fixes may be needed but really all I care about are the videos that weren't on Evolution.

To repeat the obvious, CDs are a dead format. To expect respect for them seems outdated.

this has got to be one of the most bizarre comments i have ever read on this forum.

what fixes? they haven't done any yet. most people want the music, and don't really care about the videos.

what is obvious at CD's? 99% of everything mentioned in about new releases has a CD release, or in a boxset or more. CD's will
ALWAYS be around, as most of the music is in that format. if it's digital only, that has a chance of dying or disappearing.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations