Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Prince "Purple Rain" deluxe reissue finally out in 2017!

Prince "Purple Rain" deluxe reissue finally out in 2017!

Postby Sensoria » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 am

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ain-deluxe

A long overdue deluxe reissue of Prince and the Revolution's classic 1984 album "Purple Rain" is slated for release early 2017.
While details are incomplete, the set will include "a second album of previously unreleased material," according to the press release, which also notes that plans for the set "were agreed with Prince before he passed away."
As for what that second album might include, multiple unreleased contemporaneous tracks - such as "Electric Intercourse", "G-Spot", "Father's Song", "Wednesday", "All Day, All Night" and "Possessed" - have appeared on bootlegs or were re-recorded with different Prince-related acts.
Also, several full concerts from the era were professionally recorded, including a March 1985 show that was released on the now out-of-print home video "Prince and the Revolution: Live".
Also, B-sides from the era such as "17 Days" and two versions of "God" either appeared in the film or are commonly associated with the album.
Sensoria
The Jet Set

Re: Prince "Purple Rain" deluxe reissue finally out in 2017!

Postby Sensoria » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:39 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ic-w466431

The long overdue deluxe reissue of Prince and the Revolution's classic 1984 album "Purple Rain" finally got its release date and will be released June 9th 2017!
The exact contents of the bonus material have not yet been announced.
Sensoria
The Jet Set

Postby discoginfo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:46 pm

"Two unreleased albums and two complete concerts" is more than originally announced, amazing. I hope one of the concerts is 3 Aug 1983. In fact, I would assume it is.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:14 am

Hard to say for sure, not knowing how deluxe (ie. how many discs) this will be, but I would prefer the unreleased albums be released separately. Let "Purple Rain" be "Purple Rain", as opposed to it being "Prince's work around 1983-1984".
obs
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:04 pm

Nice to see finally a concrete release date. I Would Die 4 U (edit) ?? Isn't that the same as the album version?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 pm

As far as I have seen, 2 minutes 57 seconds for both the LP and the single. Not sute what they mean by that.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Unless it's a radio promo edit or an unreleased single mix...
omar
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm

discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm assuming the "I Would Die 4 U (Edit)" is the single version that's been featured on several Prince compilations over the years. The album version segues directly into "Baby I'm A Star" whereas the single version is exactly the same but instead of a dead stop (where "Baby I'm A Star" would normally begin), there is a sustained reverb effect that fades out.

The details look very good. Anxious to hear ALL of disc 2 and disc 3 completes this album's era perfectly. If this sounds as good as the "Ultimate" 2cd set I will be beyond happy! Especially excited to hear a remaster of the full album version of "When Doves Cry" (only the single edit has ever appeared on compilations) AND the extended version of "Erotic City"!

The subtle alteration of the album art is SHARP!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby ZippY » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:33 am

Good news!

At this price, it looks as if the packaging and artwork might be (very) minimal … I hope it’s more than just a clamshell with 4 cardboard envelopes …

And I am wondering about what the packaging will be, given the price is this reasonable. Makes me wonder if the packaging will be digipack. I know there have been digipacks that handle 3 discs (Blade Runner soundtrack, which I have), but have there been 4 disc sets in digipacks? I can’t recall any I may have off the top of my head.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:21 am

So as far as I understand, this project and tracklist was approved by Prince in 2014 before he passed away, intended for the 30th Anniversary, but was then delayed. I assume he personally picked the tracks then.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Went to buy this today but the store closest to me (which isn't a music/video store, so can't blame them really) didn't have it. Since my car is in the shop and I can't go to another shop for now, I downloaded it. Compared it with the original CD and "The Hits/The B-Sides" compilation and I think it sounds great. There's finally some BASS! I dare say the original album has never sounded better.

The "vault" disc is every bit as eclectic as the original album and makes for a very interesting listen. There are tiny bits of audio anomalies here and there due to the fact that many of these were probably glorified demos, but given that, the sound quality throughout is surprisingly VERY good. And the SONGS are very good! What a treat, as a slightly-more-than-casual fan, to hear so much more great music from this time period in Prince's prolific career.

The Single Edits & B-Sides disc is another treat. All those great B-sides and 12" versions! Again, sound quality is wonderful. The only genuine "glitch" I've noticed so far (I have NOT listened to everything start to finish yet) is the beginning note of the "Erotic City" 12" mix - It's kinda messed up for some reason. Which doesn't make sense because they could have digitally copy-and-pasted the first few seconds of the 7" version which is fine. Even so, it's still perfectly listenable especially to anyone who hasn't had this mix in their collection already.

So yeah - thumbs up. Looking forward to buying the actual package AND watching the concert!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm

I also got the 2cd version today. Love the sound quality. Prince really did a good job in having it remastered prior to his death. The bonus unreleased songs are awesome. I hope now with the ball rolling in reissues, we see Around The World In a Day and Parade next.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby CRM » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:45 am

This ended up being a decent enough reissue if one ignores the ridiculously brickwalled remaster of the album...but could have been spectacular. Criminal that the unreleased extended version of 17 Days wasn't included (why the hell wasn't this on the B side of the When Doves Cry 12"?!?) as well as unedited versions of I Would Die 4 U, Baby I'm A Star, Darling Nikki, Take Me With U and Purple Rain. And Velvet Kitty Cat may be the worst thing he ever recorded.
CRM
Switchin' to Glide

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations