Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Visage - The Wild Life

Re: Visage - The Wild Life

Postby VicT » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:28 am

I wish it could be a single CD instead of 7, but something like this:
1. Tar (Original 7" Version)
2. Night Train (7″ Version)
3. Hidden Sign (Tiger Face Flame Remix)
4. The Silence (Original Version)
5. Fade To Grey (Extended Version)
6. Mind Of A Toy (Extended Version)
7. Visage (Extended Version)
8. The Damned Don't Cry (Extended Version)
9. The Anvil (Extended Version)
10. Pleasure Boys (Extended Version)
11. Tar (Extended Dub)
12. Frequency 7 (Dance Version)
13. Never Enough (Richard Stone & John Bryan In Prague Version)
14. Fade To Grey (Tilt's Nu-Romancer Remix)
15. Tightrope
16. Love Glove (Orchestral Reprise)
VicT
Running Up That Hill

Re: Visage - The Wild Life

Postby postpunkmonk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:58 am

I'm loving the 7x set. Was lukewarm to the idea of getting tracks I have elsewhere again [12" mixes - most of which I have on CD here and there] but the re-recorded versions were a gift. Once the news broke about the re-records, I was much more enthusiastic about the whole thing. The 7" re-records less so, since some of these were very carefully re-recorded. At best the download 7" versions function like BBC sessions of songs we already know well. The 12" mixes are in many cases definitive versions. If only the original 12" of "The Damned Don't Cry" had been this inventive! Someone else posted that this set was like the Blank + Jones ZTT set. I'd agree, but at best, B+J added to the ZTT legend without surpassing the holy Horn mixes. Many of these new Visage 12" versions for me supplant long existing cuts like "The Pleasure Boys 12," "The Damned Don't Cry 12," "Tar," and "Mind Of A Toy 12." Back in the day, only "Visage," "The Anvil," and "Night Train" had what I'd call strong 12" mixes, though the US 12" Luongo mix of FTG should also be included even though it was made for the US market at first. The instrumentals are nice for letting me savor the musicianship of the band. In particular, as a Robin Simon fan, I am happy to have these, though Steve Barnacle is no slouch either. "Fierce Verve" was packed with cool tracks. I challenge anyone not to dance when "Seven Deadly Sins Part Two" comes on. It was a killer on the Control Room 12" of "Lost In Static" and immediately became one of my top Visage tracks. Having the instro version on CD is a real plus, since it was all about the riffage on this amazing, driving track. My biggest beef with the whole thing? The mastering everywhere was loud and clear, but detailed. Lots of dynamic range everywhere except for the original 7" version of "Tar" on the basic CD. It was mastered from vinyl, which I can understand, but did they have to brickwall that single track? There is no nit pickingly definitive Visage collection, but "Wild Life" does redress the schism between the old and new eras of the band, and that's justification enough for the project.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations