Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Re: A Flock Of Seagulls "Remixes & Rarities" 2CD

Postby BigManRestless » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:06 am

I think the Remixes & Rarities thing is just a generic branding that Cherry Red use for these projects, similar to the Thompson Twins one they put out a year or so back which mopped up a few loose ends, though frustratingly not all of them like the 7" version of Watching.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:37 am

I also recall the full moon mix of The More You Live The More You Love on the 2008 reissue of Story Of A Young Heart was clipped off at the end by a few seconds. I hope they use a different master for that.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:16 am

I think the reason that Cherry Pop used the name The Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) instead of the Last Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) is because it's a real typo on the US Promo single:

https://www.discogs.com/A-Flock-Of-Seag ... ase/121924

With the exclusion of Committed, this US Promo single is included on tracks 4, 5 and 6 on disc 2 , so technically speaking, it's a correct resemblance.

However, The Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin had his "last flight" on March 27, 1968, when the UTI MiG-15 (an experimental jet he was piloting) crashed. He was 34 years old. The Apollo 15 astronauts put a plaque on the moon naming all of the men who'd died in the space race. Gagarin was honored among them.
:D
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm

ZippY wrote:I think the reason that Cherry Pop used the name The Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) instead of the Last Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) is because it's a real typo on the US Promo single:

With the exclusion of Committed, this US Promo single is included on tracks 4, 5 and 6 on disc 2 , so technically speaking, it's a correct resemblance.

However, The Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin had his "last flight" on March 27, 1968, when the UTI MiG-15 (an experimental jet he was piloting) crashed. He was 34 years old. The Apollo 15 astronauts put a plaque on the moon naming all of the men who'd died in the space race. Gagarin was honored among them.

there are plenty of typos on promos, rosenmotag? the official titles are easy to find out, and they shouldn't be wrong
on this release.

some songs may have had alternate titles like messages (from the rings of saturn), but thats ok.
later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:23 pm

negative1 wrote:
ZippY wrote:I think the reason that Cherry Pop used the name The Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) instead of the Last Flight Of Yuri Gagarin (Full Length Version) is because it's a real typo on the US Promo single:

there are plenty of typos on promos, rosenmotag? the official titles are easy to find out, and they shouldn't be wrong
on this release.

some songs may have had alternate titles like messages (from the rings of saturn), but thats ok.
later

Rosenmotag is a real error :shock:
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby profil » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:45 am

From the perspective of a completist - which is mine - this 2cd anthology leaves only the following 6 versions/songs still unreleased on cd:

The whole “Cocteau Records”-output – which is really a pity because I love this song and I think this version is even better:
(It's Not Me) Talking (7”) 4:33
(It's Not Me) Talking (12” Remix) 4:45
(It's Not Me) Talking (Instrumental) 4:21
Factory Music 4:28 (B-side)

And I also couldn’t find these 3 versions from the Jive-era on any of my cds:
Remember David 7 inch 3:40
The Story Of A Young Heart 7 inch 4:00
Lost Control (Totally) 6:40

Can somebody please confirm – or better disabuse : )
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:20 am

profil wrote:From the perspective of a completist - which is mine - this 2cd anthology leaves only the following 6 versions/songs still unreleased on cd:

The whole “Cocteau Records”-output – which is really a pity because I love this song and I think this version is even better:
(It's Not Me) Talking (7”) 4:33
(It's Not Me) Talking (12” Remix) 4:45
(It's Not Me) Talking (Instrumental) 4:21
Factory Music 4:28 (B-side)

And I also couldn’t find these 3 versions from the Jive-era on any of my cds:
Remember David 7 inch 3:40
The Story Of A Young Heart 7 inch 4:00
Lost Control (Totally) 6:40

Can somebody please confirm – or better disabuse : )

i mentioned all of those in the my post under 'missing',
which is the 3rd one. i thing the story of young heart is
just a fade, i never checked it.

thanks for mentioning the talking 7 inch, i left that off.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby profil » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:35 am

Yes I 've seen that you have mentioned them, but you list also many more tracks which are available on cd - mostly as bonus tracks on the Cherry Red expanded cd editions but also on the Beehive cd version of Listen.
The 6 tracks I have listed are the only official AFOS tracks which have never been available on cd after this release -at least as far as I know. That's what I wanted to get confirmed. Thanks for your help.
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:51 pm

profil wrote:Yes I 've seen that you have mentioned them, but you list also many more tracks which are available on cd - mostly as bonus tracks on the Cherry Red expanded cd editions but also on the Beehive cd version of Listen.
The 6 tracks I have listed are the only official AFOS tracks which have never been available on cd after this release -at least as far as I know. That's what I wanted to get confirmed. Thanks for your help.

no problem.

for people that don't have those on cd, they will have to get those,

also, the sound quality of those weren't so great, so hopefully they will be remastered and sound better on this compilation.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:05 am

Paul Sinclair from super deluxe edition is involved with this reissue, so let's hope for good stuff overall . He's quite thorough and passionate about what he undertakes.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:24 pm

omar wrote:Paul Sinclair from super deluxe edition is involved with this reissue, so let's hope for good stuff overall . He's quite thorough and passionate about what he undertakes.

that's funny, i put the links and information from this page on his site,

and he still hasn't mentioned it.

*UPDATE, just saw it, but how is he involved?

it''s a very poor job of putting it together so far, along with the out of order tracklisting,

expected much better, if he is involved.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Maybe they were told by cherry red to squeeze as much as possible or noteworthy stuff on only two cds, three would be too much, although more complete. The unavailability of some tracks or decent remasters is another reason. They probably guessed that most of these tracks will keep the average AFOS fan happy. In terms of being involved Paul just said that he initiated the project. Don't know if he had access to material etc .
omar
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:53 pm

omar wrote:Paul Sinclair from super deluxe edition is involved with this reissue, so let's hope for good stuff overall . He's quite thorough and passionate about what he undertakes.

You read it wrong Cherry Pop continue with their occasional ‘Remixes & Rarities’ releases (initiated by yours truly for the 2013 Paul Young set) he was mentioning he was involved in the Paul Young Remixes & Rarities release not this one. If he had been involved with this he would have come up with a lot better compilation than this substandard reissue.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:14 pm

moni wrote:

You read it wrong Cherry Pop continue with their occasional ‘Remixes & Rarities’ releases (initiated by yours truly for the 2013 Paul Young set) he was mentioning he was involved in the Paul Young Remixes & Rarities release not this one. If he had been involved with this he would have come up with a lot better compilation than this substandard reissue.

You're right moni. Sorry for the wrong info folks. Anyway i'm hoping that this collection does well. Even if it lacks some stuff it's the closest we'll get to having a "rarities' set. I would've loved it if the original band members were involved and wrote an introduction or two.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:20 am

For the rarities compilation it's the best so far for AFOS - previous ones were chock-full of album versions with barely a hint of anything else. So it's a welcome release.

But it still feels like unfinished business. There's no rhyme or reason to the tracklisting, just a mish-mash of 7" versions, remixes and B-sides. Not comprehensive, not chronological, overall not organised in any meaningful way. And with too many versions of the main songs - I mean, FOUR "I Ran"'s and THREE "Wishing"'s?! There's also nothing from before "I Ran" - when there was at least a 7" of "Modern Love is Automatic" (if some early version of "Talking" is unavailable).

What I think should've been done is to gather all the strays and mistake inclusions not available on Cherry Red reissues of AFOS albums - and it's be a great addition to the main run. This way it's more like something extravagant to leave the listener puzzled about the track selection. I'm still interested in it - but to think it could've been so much better...
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations