Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Re: The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Postby Barmy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Rubellan/Scott,

I have no issues with you. Your anti-brickwalling campaign is VERY important, particularly with regard to Cherry Red.

What has exhausted me is not re-releasing, but re-re-re-rereleasing. Every time adding some detritus. LIKE SINGLE EDITS. To revisit this for the millionth time, the existing Altered images releases are fine. This includes greatest hits sets as well as full albums. I'm not going to buy them again. You just know the 50th anniversary is going to come out later with more crap, probably better sound, but at some point you have to stop.

The labels that issue unheard music, rather than heard but improvements of arguably flawed music, just seem more significant to me.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby telekon3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:32 am

I think I see where the Barmy is coming from now. The fact that you Scott, post on this forum and reply personally to people's comments makes Barmy think that you're taking requests and fulfilling his personal wish-list. Social media has lead people into thinking that their comments and their thoughts count but really it's only a marketing scheme to get their information and email. Barney has been diluted into thinking that it's really all about him. He's the kind of person that goes to a concert and expects the band to play his personal requests that he keeps yelling out from the audience. He thinks if he doesn't like a an album from a band that his comments are going to create the artist to succumb to his comments and rewrite the album or take his suggestions in account for the next recording. Social Media has created a whole society of narcissists or at least caters to them. The solution, Barmy, is to learn the process of mastering and make your own reissues. Set up a little studio in that basement that you are chained up in and do your own thing and leave Scott alone.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:59 am

There seem to be two different types of reissue labels in existence, those that try to pump out endless product for financial gain regardless of the final quality outcome (Cherry Red, Edsel, Culture Factory) and those that that release material that is of personal interest to them but make efforts to do it properly (Vinyl 180, Futurismo, and eventually Rubellan Remasters). I am the first to admit that my initial plan revolves around albums that I like and want to do, but if I ever get to a point that I've gone as far as I can with that then I will move on to other titles that may not necessarily be of interest to me, as long as I see there is a market for it by doing a bit of research. I will admit that one title that's already moving through legal at Sony has me a little concerned because the original CD is not particularly hard to find, even though it's been out of print for decades. But I requested it because I'm doing the other albums by the band and I just wanted to do everything that Sony has the rights to. Yes, my version will be fully remastered and include 5 bonus tracks, restored original artwork and an 8 page booklet, but I can't help but worry if that will be enough to move stock. And then the CD+DVD I'm planning will likely move but it's going to be a challenge to make my money back on that one.

So, perhaps fans like me who approach starting a label from a fan perspective rather than purely a business plan are going about it the wrong way, but in the end I want to be happy with the product I produce, and hope that those who buy it feel the same way. It's going to stay a one-man show so I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to pump out titles like an assembly line. But I can safely say there is NO other label out there who does their own licensing, artwork and mastering. Culture Factory comes close but all I read about them is they brickwall the life out of every title they release. And I was browsing through the list on Discogs of the 300+ titles they have released since 2009, and many are puzzling. They reissued two Kim Wilde albums only two years after Cherry Red did, and they didn't include any bonus tracks. What's the appeal? They reissued Midnight Oil and Stranglers albums when those were still available and plentiful for pennies. Maybe I'm missing something but that doesn't seem like a good business model, otherwise I wouldn't have cancelled my full scale Altered Images reissue plan after the confirmation of the pending Cherry Red box set, which still has yet to appear on any 'coming soon' lists.

Regarding bonus material, I try to be all inclusive within reason. If I have plans for further releases that could include some of those single versions as incentive to buyers, I may save some things. What I really would like to do is review what tapes are in the archives so I can determine what may be an unreleased song or version. Most labels have their tape inventory on computer, including scans of tape boxes for specific details. I haven't approached that subject yet with Sony or Universal but I did ask Warners if there's any chance I could review tape lists of specific artists to aid in determining bonus content, and was flatly told no. I was told that if I'm aware of an unreleased song or version, they can inquire about it but that they will not allow me to review any sort of inventory list. I do hope Sony and/or Universal are not as strict. You don't know what there could be to include if you cannot view all of what's available.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby philipp84lemke » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi Scott,

I second your idea of rereleasing interesting 80s stuff that has got little attention, as I know there is so much 80s stuff never been released on CD before. Of course, there are so many things to pay attention to and that last time (licensing issues etc.), but I wish you good luck! I am willing to pay some extra money if it is about an interesting artist and if the remastering is well done.
Concerning my release wishes on CD for the first time, I would suggest the following:

Real Life (of course!)
Bourgie Bourgie ‎– MCA Album Promo (1984) https://www.discogs.com/de/Bourgie-Bourgie-MCA-Album-Promo/release/4509146
Hoorah! Boys Hoorah! (they released an album which has never seen the light of the day)
Fiat Lux
Les Enfants
Space Monkey (maybe you could get it finally released on CD!)
Re-Flex ‎– The Politics Of Dancing
New Scientists ‎– Pictures Of Reality
Grey Parade ‎– The Reason
Boys Say Go ‎– Easy To Move
Music For Pleasure
Glass Museum
This Island Earth
Getting The Fear ‎– Last Salute
Darkroom ‎- San Paku; A Test Of Time
The Faction ‎– 2 X 2 https://www.discogs.com/de/The-Faction-2-X-2/release/7598070
Search Party
Life By Night - s/t
Hambi & The Dance
Doug Bennett ‎– Animato (1986)
Europeans - Vocabulary; Recurring Dreams; Europeans Live
Virgin Dance
The Shine
The Whisper Mode ‎– One Step Closer (1985)
Hale And Haines ‎– Survival
Ten Ten - Walk On; Ordinary Thinking ‎
Faith Global ‎– The Same Mistakes
Blanket Of Secrecy ‎– Ears Have Walls
Hanover Fist
Beat The Drum ‎– Nation To Nation (1985)
I Can Crawl ‎– Desert (1986)
Vision U.K.
One O'Clock Gang
Positive Noise
Sharks In Italy
Jacqui Brookes
Playing By Numbers

As I've already said, there is many 80s stuff out there that has never been released on CD before... and there is so many other good 80s out there, waiting to get rereleased...just a few thoughts on that.
philipp84lemke
Take On Me

Postby swerve » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Reissues done "right" is all that has ever mattered to me.

I would have purchased a number of Cherry Red releases but the brickwalling etc... issues kept me away.

I purchased The Mood knowing you had done that one Scott.

I think what you'll find is a loyal following of your work with many repeat customers.

In my previous e-mail I asked what plans / strategies you thought you might have in "getting the word out" since that can be challenging to try and achieve enough presence online to help sales. Are you able to share anything around that at this time?
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 pm

I don't want to mention too many specifics at this time regarding how I plan to spread the word, but it will include my YouTube page with nearly 600 subscribers, as well as a Facebook page and some of their advertising options, just to name a couple. Some of it will develop over time based on how fast or slow stock moves.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:08 pm

telekon3 wrote:I think I see where the Barmy is coming from now. The fact that you Scott, post on this forum and reply personally to people's comments makes Barmy think that you're taking requests and fulfilling his personal wish-list. Social media has lead people into thinking that their comments and their thoughts count but really it's only a marketing scheme to get their information and email. Barney has been diluted into thinking that it's really all about him. He's the kind of person that goes to a concert and expects the band to play his personal requests that he keeps yelling out from the audience. He thinks if he doesn't like a an album from a band that his comments are going to create the artist to succumb to his comments and rewrite the album or take his suggestions in account for the next recording. Social Media has created a whole society of narcissists or at least caters to them. The solution, Barmy, is to learn the process of mastering and make your own reissues. Set up a little studio in that basement that you are chained up in and do your own thing and leave Scott alone.

This is the most incomprehensible group of words since The Bible.

There are TOO MANY reissues. THAT is my point. Every week NW bands that no one has ever heard of STILL get CD reissues. That is what I want. And I am very happy with this. So many that I almost wish it would stop.

To repeat, AGAIN, it is the re-re-re-issues that annoy me. All of the NW bands that have a following get increasingly elaborate reissues because there is no money in CDs, only touring. I will again cite the Blancmange 9CD reissue as the epitome of this absurdity. How many stacks of Blancmange CDs do you have room for. Old ones tend to be less brickwalled but, OMG, don't have the single edit of whatever. 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th anniversary reissues. Stop. And if the sound quality is a bit better, again, I don't have room for that.

But there are literally hundreds of brilliant NW bands that still don't have CD releases, but randomly get them. I support that. Unauthorized? Who cares. You can access music in digital formats that generate essentially nothing for the artists anyway.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby telekon3 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:42 am

I think there is a meta-message here, Barmy.
Your opinion and the point you keep trying so desperately to get across is similar to the multiple reissues of the same CD.
Though it might be redundant, in a free market society we can choose to ignore it.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Qbertqubes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm

philipp84lemke ...great list. I think I have the same wish list. However, Reflex is all ready on CD...original & reissue & in the Box set. I'd buy them all..especialy Virgin Dance
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:21 pm

philipp84lemke wrote:Hi Scott,

I second your idea of rereleasing interesting 80s stuff that has got little attention, as I know there is so much 80s stuff never been released on CD before. Of course, there are so many things to pay attention to and that last time (licensing issues etc.), but I wish you good luck! I am willing to pay some extra money if it is about an interesting artist and if the remastering is well done.
Concerning my release wishes on CD for the first time, I would suggest the following:

Vision U.K.

There are a few on your list that I would like to do, especially this one. I was on a mailing list many years ago in which Andy Beaumont from Vision was planning on releasing their shelved 1983 album 'In Sight', though it never happened. I have tried to track him down to see if we could discuss it but could not locate him. If anyone knows how to contact him, I would be open to discussion. I cringe at the idea of working directly with another artist who owns their material but he had the masters and the album was never actually released, so it would be the only hope.

UPDATE: I found Andy on Facebook. I will consider sending a message to him soon.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm

Well, I'm looking forward to anything that Rubellan will release, because I know he cares about what he releases, and he also likes a lot of things I like. And I'm also someone who absolutely loves singe edits/remixes on reissues - more than extended versions, more than b-sides (although there are many killer ones!), and especially more than demo versions, which I find basically useless. I tend to listen to a demo version once and then never again.

There's another reissue label that just started up named Supermegabot, founded by a couple of Ryko guys. All releases are CDs. First batch is Human Sexual Response, Wire Train, and others.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby moni » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm

philipp84lemke You can buy The Politics Of Dancing here and you even get a free remix CD http://www.re-flex.info/SHOP/SHOP-DIREC ... THTML.html also Europeans Recurring Dreams can be found here http://www.marillion.com/shop/albums/eu ... urring.htm Both have been out on CD for a years i don't know how you missed them.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Gary Russell » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:37 am

One thing I’d love to see done properly, Scott, is the Will Powers Dancing For Mental Health album. CD Baby did it 13 years ago, but it seems to be mastered from vinyl and by missing off all the 12” mixes, dubs and 7” edits was a criminally wasted opportunity.
Gary Russell
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:58 pm

If you had any idea what I've been dealing with from Sony recently, you would completely understand why there are not more third party labels. Rudeness, lies and a complete lack of common courtesy, and having to go higher into the food chain to try to get something done about it while I'm on the verge of giving up on them entirely...
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:24 am

Go as high as you have to with Sony to get behaviours corrected.

Since so few labels control so much of the back catalogues it would be unfortunate to not deal with them as that cuts out numerous opportunities.

Stay the course, hopefully relations can improve.
swerve
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations