Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Re: The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Postby Qbertqubes » Fri May 05, 2017 6:37 am

SSQ is probably the #1 new wave 80's album never released on CD & should be. At least Secession has been. I have that one
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am

Well, it's no secret that I'm an Altered Images obsessee, and with the remasters for vinyl releases I did for Vinyl 180 that have been coming out since February, and those CD's being long out of print, I want to start with their catalog. Some may moan that they have already been done but most had issues and errors; incorrect versions, terrible quality source material, etc. It's my chance (hopefully) to put things right if the price is right. After that is when I would want to open it up to a vote. I think I would want to start with a retail price of $14.99. At least with my reputation, buyers know they will be getting superior quality, regardless of source. And speaking of sources, I don't think I would make an effort to always state source material because you can have something pulled from the original master and sound like crap, or have a vinyl remaster (done by me) that surpasses it. I would definitely like to get new high res transfers of the original tapes but then it will also depend on the cost. I'm looking to finance the Altered Images titles myself, but If a kickstarter campaign for anything after that is successful then it can include the cost of a new HD tape transfer. But it's all early days right now and things could fall apart with the first quote from Sony. I will definitely keep you in the loop.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 am

That is a valid point - some vinyl can sound pristine with crystal clear highs and full-bodied lows. I've done my share of my own personal transfers over the years. My vinyl Scritti Politti "Perfect Way (Way Perfect Mix)" sounds better than the one on the "Lost Mixes - Extended Ecstasy" CD for instance (in my opinion anyway). But having done tons of vinyl transfers, I can almost always spot a vinyl master instantly if it's not done well. Aside from obvious clicks and pops, distorted "S's" and hi-hats and low rumbling are common giveaways.

When vinyl IS used as the source, I DO appreciate when it is declared somewhere in the packaging, though. :-)

Altered Images have some great stuff. I bought the Edsel reissues of "Happy Birthday" and "Pinky Blue" - they were my first Altered Images purchases though, so I'm admittedly unfamiliar with how they "should" sound. But I CAN see where improvements could definitely be made.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby swerve » Fri May 05, 2017 7:57 am

As others have already mentioned both SSQ and Secession top my list. :)
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Barmy » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 pm

The obsession with 12" is a mystery to me. It recurs frequently on this site. Is it because they are "rare", or because you enjoy listening to a good song being amateurishly extended? 12-inch was a CONSUMERIST device and very few of them have artistic merit. They aren't great just because they are "rare".

Altered Images were a rather crap band. Yeah, like 5 great songs over whatever many LPs. Don't bother with more of them.

And seriously, can someone explain the Secession fixation?
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby pinkyblue82 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:53 am

Sorry, but Scott Davies is my Altered Images wonder twin. We are OBSESSED!
pinkyblue82
Personal Jesus

Postby elviscaprice » Sat May 06, 2017 7:58 am

I like my Altered Images with the videos played back, fantastic stuff!!!
elviscaprice
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat May 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Barmy wrote:The obsession with 12" is a mystery to me. It recurs frequently on this site. Is it because they are "rare", or because you enjoy listening to a good song being amateurishly extended? 12-inch was a CONSUMERIST device and very few of them have artistic merit. They aren't great just because they are "rare".

Altered Images were a rather crap band. Yeah, like 5 great songs over whatever many LPs. Don't bother with more of them.

Why don't you tell us what you DO like so we can all rip your opinions to shreds for a switch? I've yet to see a remotely positive comment from you on anything.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:
Barmy wrote:The obsession with 12" is a mystery to me. It recurs frequently on this site. Is it because they are "rare", or because you enjoy listening to a good song being amateurishly extended? 12-inch was a CONSUMERIST device and very few of them have artistic merit. They aren't great just because they are "rare".

Why don't you tell us what you DO like so we can all rip your opinions to shreds for a switch? I've yet to see a remotely positive comment from you on anything.

actually, i'm supposed to be the negative one around here, ha ha

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm

I was not aware that a 12" record was amateurishly extended, as you put it. Granted that some 12" versions could be much better, many of them out there are excellent long versions of already great songs. I am sorry that you don't feel the same way. However, everyone has an opinion when it comes to 12" extended versions/remixes, single versions, edits, remixes, etc. Some people like them. Some people don't. I tend to like them all for various reasons. You simply have an opinion but are coming across as completely negative in your post. How about just accepting that people like different things? I imagine that there are a number of artists or songs that you like that I do not.

As for Altered Images being a rather crap band, I will be the first to state that I don't know all of their material. I know some of it, and from what I've heard, I like them! I would be interested in these kind of reissues on CD and would gladly support them with Scott Davies' name on them.

Back to the topic at hand ...

I really hope that you have success with starting a reissue label, Scott. I am really looking forward to what you can do. Someone who cares about sound quality and excellent physical product is who we need running a reissue label. I like the idea of a Kickstarter campaign as well. Best of luck to you! Keep us updated please!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby retromusic » Sun May 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Well said, Bellenger.

Today I listened in full to ELO's debut from 1971, followed by The Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette [1979], then a self-made compilation of It's Immaterial from 83-86 and finally Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites [2005]. All excellent in my opinion, but my preferred genre is minimal synth. We all have different tastes in music and should agree to disagree on what is good and bad.

I also play Secession on a regular basis. Excellent group, although to be fair to Barmy I think their cult status has been enhanced by the difficulty in obtaining their releases. Give the 12" of Sneakyville a listen and tell me that it's not good.

On another note, all the best with your project, Scott. That's some serious dedication and I hope you are successful.

Cheers,
Jon :)
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby Willbfree » Sun May 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Rubellan wrote:Well, it's no secret that I'm an Altered Images obsessee, and with the remasters for vinyl releases I did for Vinyl 180 that have been coming out since February, and those CD's being long out of print, I want to start with their catalog.

I'd nearly posted "Don't do it", "Don't turn something you love into something that may kill your soul every time you think about it!" but then you go and mention Altered Images. My rational self still says don't do it. At least not as planned. You will be in debt for as many years as it may take for the discs to sell off. And you'll be beyond any recovery of your debt if some error is discovered on the run of CDs and you have to do another run (since you can't come back around and ask people to pay $20 instead of $15).

But instead of saying DON'T DO IT, I'll say, forget discs and make these premium downloads.

24bit/96kHz downloads, from HDTracks etc., you could sell for $20.

I know that some people say there's no discernible improvement in 24/96. Doesn't matter. Considering that obsessive fans likely already have some of the singles as 24/96 vinyl rips already, it makes sense to at least be offering the same high-quality that people are getting for free. Future proofing and all that. Make people feel like this is the last time they'll need to buy these albums. Even folks who paid tons for the out of print "…Plus!" CDs would probably want to get the albums in high-res. (I would).

(And sell regular resolution downloads too for less ($15 or whatever) assuming you'll also have bonus content that will attract people who see no need for high-res).
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Willbfree » Sun May 07, 2017 4:59 pm

elviscaprice wrote:I like my Altered Images with the videos played back, fantastic stuff!!!

Too bad Scott is not also an expert at remastering video. But even if he were, there's no easy way to sell music videos alongside the albums. DualDisc flopped. BluRay as a medium for music and video flopped. CD+DVD packages are best described as passé - and besides, people would want professionally upscaled video not old 480i, so DVD is useless.

No doubt Clare is why people put up with a lot of filler tracks, so it would be wonderful to have video of her, but even if there was a way to deliver it, imagine how expensive it would be to license even the mimed TOTPops performances... Sigh.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon May 08, 2017 6:03 am

I am sure English Evenings has been mentioned by several just to the fact that they have an album, non-album single & amazing remixes & plus non-album B sides
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue May 09, 2017 5:39 am

Scott must be a glutton for punishment for thinking about starting a reissue label. Too much hassle, though should it come to pass, I'm sure we would support it. If at the least we got accurate, definitive Altered Images reissues out of it, it would justify the expenditure, methinks. There's always room for someone else out there who gets it. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt. I was just chatting with a reissue producer recently and he paints a horrifying picture of the current state of the industry. You would think that massive vertical consolidation would make things easier. Not by a long shot. I am content to remain a hobbyist in the whole "start your own label" paradigm.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations