Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Re: The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Postby Rubellan » Tue May 09, 2017 11:48 am

Hopefully, it will not be as frustrating as everyone states. It seems pretty straight forward: Secure the master rights from the record label (the most expensive part), sign up to pay the publishers (most can be found at the Harry Fox Agency website), master your sound and prepare your packaging materials (which I would do myself), manufacture and distribute the product (both of which can be done at CD baby, for example). Collect royalties and pay any pre-determined percentage to the licensing label and publisher(s). Of course, the main roadblock is right at the beginning, obtaining an affordable master license, although Sony told me they do a "manufacture" license instead. But even if this turns out to be something that Sony is not interested in, I hope they at least give me the courtesy of a response indicating it. I'm still hoping to hear back soon from my submission I sent last week. At least before I lose interest and go buy a new car instead, or something.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby audiodile » Tue May 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Barmy wrote:The obsession with 12" is a mystery to me. It recurs frequently on this site. Is it because they are "rare", or because you enjoy listening to a good song being amateurishly extended? 12-inch was a CONSUMERIST device and very few of them have artistic merit. They aren't great just because they are "rare".

Ignoring the tone of your comment, I first discovered what a remix/12" was in 1983 when I was trying to find a long version of "Major Tom" by Peter Schilling I'd heard on the radio. I didn't realize that there was this whole other world of alternate versions. Suddenly at the age of 10 I became a remix junkie almost overnight. Over the next 10 years I spent most of the money I had on them, and accumulated over 500 12" singles.

Why do I like remixes? Yes, some are really bad or dull. Just like every other thing in life, not every one is going to be amazing. But some remixes were crazy (ABC's Look of Love), or clever, some used rhythmic edits and effects to make tracks more dance-y or punchy (Latin Rascals mixes). Some added melodic overdubs to give the song a whole different feel (Fleetwood Mac's Big Love or the Cool Summer Mix of Janet Jackson's Nasty). A remix is cool because it's something you don't hear a million times on the radio.

The rarity is not a draw, trust me I wish every remix I wanted was available on CD, and I've spend god only knows how much trying to purchase every mix I used to have on vinyl, on CD. I don't get off on rarity. I don't even view my collection as an investment, unless it's an emotional investment.

To say that they're all bad, is the opinion of someone who seems to be a purist, which is fine as long you don't disparage the likes of other people who enjoy variety more than you might. I don't like country music or gangsta rap but I don't think they're crap, just not for me. Try it sometime.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby midnighttoneon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Having had some experience with all this from any number of angles, let me say:

1) Labels are unlikely to give you digital distribution rights in many cases, particularly if there is no physical product. When they do, they will often restrict these to lossless formats.

2) The sort of stuff you're talking about is far far far far more likely to be purchased on physical media than on downloads.

3) The publishing aspect is dead easy, don't worry about that. I'm happy to give advice if you need it. Basically, all you really need to do is provide notice and then pay royalties as you collect them.

4) It is &really* hard for an outfit without a track record to get any sort of license from a major. And when you can, they will frequently ask for far more than they would ask for if you were established . . . generally to the point where it would be a guaranteed money loser no matter what how you went about it.

5) The wisest thing to do would be to license directly from bands or smaller, quasi-defunct labels who may still hold rights. Once you have a track record of that, things would get easier with the majors. I'd love to see the first Win album on CD again as much as anyone, but Virgin won't even license it to Cherry Red or anyone else, it seems. Plenty have tried. Some of that inaction defies most forms of common sense.

6) One cost that labels don't factor in is the 'vault search' - labels frequently won't license something unless it's from the masters, and when they can't find masters (which happens often), they have to do a vault search. You pay for this, and there's no guarantee of success.

7) Most major labels will not license to you if you're doing something like a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds - be forewarned.

8) Bandcamp is a way better forum than CD Baby for sales.

9) What you're talking about doing equates to 'premium' releases - charge more. $20 a CD direct sales is perfectly reasonable. Anyone buying deep catalog like this stuff isn't going to be deterred by an extra $5, believe me. And a lower price will not attract more buyers. You're doing the public a special service, act like it!

10) Despite what someone wrote, there are plenty of CDs going for $100 which wouldn't sell 50 copies if reissued. At this stage of the game, prices raise and fall in odd ways. Don't let that be much of a determination in what you release.

11) Start sorting out distribution avenues now. They are sometimes slow to respond to enquiries and to take on new clientele.

Good luck!
midnighttoneon
Running Up That Hill

Postby FanFan » Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Just adding my support to the notion that you can charge $20 for a CD that's slightly more cultish. There are also strange opportunities out there — I can think of a few acts who own their masters, but aren't in a position to release the albums themselves. Jim Skafish is going through that right now with his first IRS album, as he's struggling to put together the numbers for a physical reissue.
FanFan
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:06 pm

FanFan wrote:Just adding my support to the notion that you can charge $20 for a CD that's slightly more cultish. There are also strange opportunities out there — I can think of a few acts who own their masters, but aren't in a position to release the albums themselves. Jim Skafish is going through that right now with his first IRS album, as he's struggling to put together the numbers for a physical reissue.

Interesting, as I recently picked up the first Skafish album and liked a handful of songs on it.
I wish I had some good news to report but the last I heard from Sony was in early May stating that they will contact me again once they receive internal feedback on my license request. I checked in this past Tuesday for the first time since and haven't yet had a reply.

Scott
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby profil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am

Hi Scott,

I’m a great fan of your work since we met on the net (when I sent you the White Label 7” “Mobiles - Build Me Up Buttercup” for including it on the Best Of cd from Cherry Red).
As all cds with your remastering sound fantastic, I will definitely support your upcoming projects. Especially as we have a similar taste of music.

I also love Altered Images and your work for their albums. I have bought the vinyl 2-album versions of “Happy Birthday” and “Pinky Blue”
> although I have them already on vinyl from the early 80s (but without the bonus 12” obviously)
> although it was hard to decide between these and the versions with the bonus 7” which unfortunately include different tracks/versions (and I cannot afford to buy every release)
> although I would prefer cd versions which include all of their tracks/versions (incl. unreleased sessions + demos)

And fan-based projects are always worth the support (thanks again to Dominik for the pledge project of Space Monkey).

So count me in – hope we will hear from you soon.
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:40 am

I got an update from Sony. I was informed that the Altered Images title I put together has received preliminary approval and it now has to run through legal before I can be given a price quote on the license. Getting closer. If this is doable then this could be the start of something special. And thanks for the support that I've received in this thread. It provides further motivation.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 am

That was fast! I just got a price quote from Sony and it's definitely doable (price will not be posted here). It sounds like it's more of an inclusive package for the price, covering publishing and manufacture as well, though I'm getting confirmation for sure. I'm also requesting a price quote for brand new high res master tape transfers. If the price I was given really does cover everything, I'm going to be releasing lots of Sony titles, unless I find I'm over estimating sales potential. With only 1000 being pressed, they could move quickly or take a few years.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:43 am

Great News!

I take it Sony has agreed that you would be the one doing the mastering.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm

They leave it up to the licensee to decide. If someone wants to simply replicate a pre-existing CD, they can do so. So yes, they have no problem with me doing the mastering and artwork. They will provide the artwork templates after the project clears their legal department. I did get a general price range for new high resolution master transfers. It's between $700-$1200 additional. So by that cost you can understand why some labels may want to use pre-existing sources. That being said, I've moved forward with the new master tape transfers. They said an A&R person will review master availability in the vaults and let me know what can be found. But with the additional cost of the new master transfers, it really will be up to sales to determine if that's something that will always be part of the package. And it will also likely increase the price for future releases from this one's intended $14.99 retail price.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 pm

This is fantastic news! I like how you are seeking out new high resolution transfers. Totally looking forward to your Altered Images release(s) (and many more from you!)
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 am

This is optimistic news. The thought of accurate [and great sounding] Altered Images DLX RMs on CD has been a long time in coming. 24 years, by my count. Third time lucky, I guess?
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Willbfree » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am

That's wonderful! Does one also approach any band members on the chance that they may have some reels in the back of their closets (which I'd imagine are Sony's assuming they were recorded while they'd been signed)?
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:43 am

I plan on contacting Clare Grogan to see if she would be interested in writing anything for the booklets, but from what I was told when she was contacted about the Vinyl 180 reissues, she declined to put any comments for possible sleeve notes due to "band politics". She also said she would promote the releases on her Facebook page but really hasn't bothered. So I don't know if she's disinterested in the reissues of her back catalog but I will definitely be contacting her, and will then ask about any archive material she may have. Also, once I get to the point that I'm corresponding with the A&R rep from Sony who will be handling researching the vaults, I'm going to ask if I can see the list of everything they have access to so I can find out if there are any unreleased tracks or mixes. On YouTube there's a Razamatazz performance of Bring Me Closer that I would love to have. It's the regular studio version but it does not included the very dated sounding string section or sax, and I think it's phenomenal! But that may not be possible.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Subsound » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:41 am

Can I suggest Koo Dé Tah's first & only album, which was released on CD in 1986 & never re-released. I'm new to this forum & assume that this album is well-known here?
Subsound
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations