Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Re: The pursuit of starting a reissue label

Postby telekon3 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 am

I saw a lame pigeon today and named it "Barmy".
It does nothing and shits on everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sY1rIeFf3Q
Last edited by telekon3 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Danielwaver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:17 pm

:lol:
telekon3 wrote:I saw a lame pigeon today and named it "Barmy".
It does nothing and shits on everything.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby Aevion93 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:08 am

Just say "single edit" three times and he will come.
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 am

It's been nearly a month so I thought I'd post an update. One of my Sony titles went to the legal queue a few weeks ago. If all goes well I could have that title out at the end of the year or beginning of the next. I still have several other Sony requests still awaiting a price quote. It's been 5 weeks and I've just checked in for an update today. My several Warners requested titles are currently in the International or A&R queues for review. That looks like it will take a while before I even get a quote. But the best news is that I've managed to find a Universal licensing contact, so that makes all 3 of the majors that I've now penetrated (not an easy task). I've got one title so far going through research and was instructed to check in next week to see if they can license it to me. I've also got their request form for future requests, which is great because Universal owns a load of the labels and albums I would want to release. But what really irks me is the Altered Images box set that Cherry Red are going to release. I think I fell right into Thorpy's trap because as soon as he posted, I withdrew my requests to Sony. But Cherry Red have just updated their new releases into December and it's not listed yet. My first CD was to be released in October, so I could have beat them to it. All I want to say is F you Thorpy! I've also attempted twice to contact Curb Records to see about licensing the Real Life early catalog. According to David Sterry, vocalist of the band, Curb own the rights outside of Australia and they also have all of the master and multitrack tapes. Neither message was ever responded to. See all the fun you guys are missing by not wanting to start your own reissue label?
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:48 am

Thank you for the update! So happy to see that you have not given up and are pursuing your dreams of getting your reissues out there. Again, I will gladly support your releases.

Who is Thorpy, by the way? And why is he/she playing games?
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:17 am

Thorpy is Steve Thorpe who conveniently posted the thread about the planned Altered Images CD box set that Cherry Red apparently started working on around the time I posted my plan to reissue their material. So knowing CR have a good relationship with Sony, and Thorpy stating he already finished the liner notes for the box, I withdrew my Altered Images requests from Sony thinking CR would beat my releases to market considering how slowly the process works. I contacted CR and they confirmed they are planning an Altered Images box but that details were still being sorted out, though they confirmed no BBC sessions or DVD. So if Thorpy's plan was to post this well advanced notice of release to get me to cancel mine so they didn't cancel theirs, it foolishly worked. I'm a dope and should have let it move through the process. I could have had Bite about ready for manufacture for the planned October release. Dummy me still living and learning...
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby thorpy2112 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:09 am

Hello - I've been watching the comments over the last few weeks here since I posted about the Altered Images box set, as well as on Steve Hoffman's Music Forum & holding my tongue. The paranoia & conspiracy theories are disappointing to say the least, and enough is enough. I do not work for Cherry Red in any capacity, other than being asked to write liner notes for releases when required. I have NEVER mentioned either forum to my contacts there, and it was a complete surprise to be asked earlier this year to write the liner notes for Altered Images. I'd appreciate it if certain people on here could keep the personal comments to themselves. I'm sorry that some of your plans appear to have been delayed or changed Rubellan (Scott Davies) but it had nothing at all to do with a 'spy' stealing your ideas from a forum. I am also certainly not playing 'games' as you seem to think - in fact I work full-time in Publishing here in the UK, and all music projects I'm involved with come from the offices of either Cherry Red or Demon / Edsel. I'd like to think that there has been a high standard and attention to detail with my notes on releases as diverse as Kim Wilde, Animotion, Showaddywaddy, Darts, Sharpe + Numan etc. I am a 100% music fan who is lucky enought to write for labels when asked, and I do not get paid a penny for doing this by the labels. Thanks for reading & hopefully everyone can move on from this at last.
thorpy2112
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:24 am

Well, your timing for posting about the A.I. box was conveniently coincidental, having fallen just in line with my requests making it through the process. It was clearly way too premature for you to post those details and I can tell you that Cherry Red were none to happy when they found out that I knew about the release because it was so early into the project that they didn't even have the details finalized or a release time frame planned. And at the request of a couple of people at Cherry Red, I provided them the link to the information you posted. I know from working with Cherry Red and other labels in the past they they DO NOT want any details regarding a release mentioned until everything is finalized because issues can arise on the in between that could delay, change or even cancel the release. I've run the coincidental nature of your posting across a couple of people who I've worked with in the music world and the immediate reaction was that the timing was clearly meant for me to see. If there is no truth to that then it is the equivalent of hitting the lottery, an extremely rare possibility.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby thorpy2112 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:38 am

Well thank you very much for such a detailed and honest reply Rubellan - hard as you find it to believe, there was absolutely no link between my original posting and your own enquiries. Yes it was too early to have posted about the release details, and yes I clearly made a mistake by starting this thread. I too have spoken with Cherry Red and apologised for doing so - but thanks a lot for dropping me in it so directly by sending them the link. Assuming that I continue to write liner notes in the future then I'll be delighted to do so as a music fan; if not then it has been a fantastic experience since 2005 when I started. Good luck with your own projects & for being prepared to take a financial risk with them, and now I think it's high time to simply enjoy the music. Isn't that what it should all be about in the end?
thorpy2112
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:19 am

Rubellan wrote:I've also attempted twice to contact Curb Records to see about licensing the Real Life early catalog. According to David Sterry, vocalist of the band, Curb own the rights outside of Australia and they also have all of the master and multitrack tapes. Neither message was ever responded to. See all the fun you guys are missing by not wanting to start your own reissue label?

Have you tried going through Warner Bros for the Curb/Real Life material, or just Curb directly? Just curious, since they distribute Curb.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 am

Thought I'd throw out an update for anyone still interested. I managed to get in contact with the right person at Universal back in September, and I started pursuing one title in particular. That now makes all three of the majors that I have contacts in. The contact thought he should have basic info back from their business affairs department before the end of September. When I checked in per his request, he hadn't heard anything so he sent them a "nudge" email. Another month later, still nothing. But in the interim, I did get their official new project request form and have submitted 2 more titles for review. Universal own a ton of material that I love so it will be great if I can release some. But just like the other labels, it seems even the initial process can be lengthy.

There are several titles still moving through the process at Warners, though I've been warned it will take some time. No surprise there.

I received two more quotes from Sony dating back to requests made more than two months prior. I approved both quotes and they are now in the legal queue for review, but I've been reminded again that titles are reviewed in priority order and that means that my title could be next in line but something else could bump in front of it. The average review time is 3 months, which would make my first release very early in the new year and the next two a couple of months later, at best. I will admit one title is a CD+DVD package and the price quoted indicates that I will be lucky to make my money back if it sells out. I will reserve the CD+DVD packages for very special releases and accept the potential loss for those, and I did have several in mind.

And last, one of the previous labels that I used to work for stated that working directly with artists who own their material is so much easier than dealing with the majors. I have found that to be completely inaccurate. I contacted a band who recently regained control of their material. We went back and forth over a series of weeks/months. I was very clear detailing the whole thing and what I intended to do with the final product. I even sent them some samples of the remastered material. Well, something that was told to me by another record label turned out to be more accurate. That person stated that it's best to avoid having the artist involved because they are going to want to have their hand in the whole thing and have a say in everything, even if they aren't paying a thing. After hearing a few tracks that I've remastered, the band compared it to their vinyl LP and said my tracks sound too improved. They complained that detail was uncovered and the low end boosted and they viewed it as losing the "warmth" of the vinyl. In 20 years of remastering, initially as a hobby out of the bedroom and sharing the CD-R's with traders back in the 90's, people have only had positive comments on how clear I've managed to make things, how it seems that I'm able to scrape away the mud and reveal the treasure beneath, and that was even with primitive skills. My ear is much more trained nowadays.
I initially started contemplating what to write in response but then another band member piped in to agree with the assessment. At that point I decided to drop the prospect because the last thing I'm going to do is make a pristine transfer sound dull and lifeless so it retains the "warmth" of a 35 year old LP played on some unknown equipment. It's funny that one concern was that it was too clear because I never even touched the high end, only the lows and a touch of mid, so what he was hearing was the recording practically as was from higher quality equipment. I asked a friend of mine if he would be offended by such a message and his jaw dropped. He said that I am going out of my way to release the material, create the booklet, master the sound, distribute the product, AND pay the band for the right to do so, and they want to complain because it doesn't sound like an old record? Next...

So, the lesson learned is that I will NOT work directly with artists because if I'm footing the bill then the product will be released the way I want it, which will be clear and dynamic and from the perspective of a music fan.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the update.

Hang in there. :)
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby FanFan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:27 pm

Another show of support here — finding this all very interesting, and not too surprised at the inanity of some of the problems that arise. Keep up the good fight, Rubellan.
FanFan
Take On Me

Postby Bellenger1981 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Likewise, thank you for the update. I actually started laughing when reading your post. How can your remastering be "too improved"? Your remastering makes material sound better than ever. I still have yet to come across anyone who can do a better vinyl transfer than you. If anyone is a fan of the old sound, then I suggest just listening to old, scratchy vinyl records. This is crazy!

Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to your reissues coming next year!!!
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:07 am

Rubellan , would just like to add my thanks as well, it is reassuring that someone like yourself who appreciates good music is prepared to go through all these knockbacks and challenges . hope it all comes to light for you and that you are able to make a profit out of this . I am sure a lot of people have a list of albums that they would like to see come out some day and not wait for companies like Cherry Red to attempt them . Would also be lovely at some point if it does become a viable business for you to also look at compilations of some of the 12" mixes that will probably not see the light of day ( I know this might be a licencing nightmare) , I still really miss the retro active series

Some of my album requests at some point would be

berlin blondes
Fiat Lux ( I know that has been the holy grail for a lot of people including the band)
secession
two minds crack
HOHOKAM

12 mixes would love to be considered

Care whatever possessed you extended
Hollywood beyond whats the colour of money extended
This island earth see that glow extended
This island earth take me to the fire extended
The associates those first impressions extended
Secession Michael extended
Friends again state of art extended
Fallout club wonderlust extended