Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Cars remasters

Re: The Cars remasters

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 am

Have to be honest and say that I've never been much of a radio listener...certainly not Top 40 stuff. Most of the music played on the radio I would hear incidentally. That said, there were periods where a few New Wave bands broke through in my area (Virginia Beach). There were a few decent radio stations at times here...I can remember hearing Trio's Da Da Da, Our Daughters Wedding Auto Music, Laid Back White Horse, Heaven 17 Let Me Go, The Church Under the Milky Way, and lots of Devo stuff... The Cars were played on the rock station...FM99...along w Zeppelin, The Doors, Stones etc...
-1[/quote]
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:37 pm

i have thousands of records and cd's.... and many new wave compilations..

guess what, the cars don't appear on them:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/143225-T ... ppearances

almost every compilation is a rock one..

i do have the hello again remix on this:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Lost-Mi ... ase/812644

and it is on so 80s compilation, and a few other 80's one..

but to compilation makers, they were a rock band... never a new wave one.
(although there's a lot of songs on new wave compilations, that don't belong on them either).

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 2:27 pm

Rolling Stone thinks they were New Wave: Ric Ocasek's artful pop songs drove the Cars, the new-wave band with the fastest, most consistent success. Their debut and second albums sold more than 6 million copies worldwide, and each album since (except their final group effort, Door to Door) has sold over a million copies. Although the group initially got the critics' nod for Ocasek's coolly detached stance and the smoothly burnished keyboard- and guitar-laced hooks, in retrospect the Cars were essentially the new-wave model of a Top 40 hit machine. That their off-center pop sensibility found expression in a series of original and frequently aired music videos (especially "You Might Think") made them, for a time, one of America's top bands.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Funny enough, the site you linked to, Discogs, also refers to them as New Wave... "New Wave rock group from Boston, Massachusetts. Formed in 1976, "

I just think they were the pop side of New Wave so they were palatable for the more traditional rock listeners... honestly, doesn't really matter to me either way. :-) Like I said, not a huge fan..liked them OK. I guess my fave album is Heartbeat City.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 pm

http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Clash_ ... amix_Party

Here's a New Wave CD compilation that has The Cars on it. Guess you don't have this one.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:21 pm

ABOATES wrote:Rolling Stone thinks they were New Wave: Ric Ocasek's artful pop songs drove the Cars, the new-wave band with the fastest, most consistent success. Their debut and second albums sold more than 6 million copies worldwide, and each album since (except their final group effort, Door to Door) has sold over a million copies. Although the group initially got the critics' nod for Ocasek's coolly detached stance and the smoothly burnished keyboard- and guitar-laced hooks, in retrospect the Cars were essentially the new-wave model of a Top 40 hit machine. That their off-center pop sensibility found expression in a series of original and frequently aired music videos (especially "You Might Think") made them, for a time, one of America's top bands.

rolling stone, is a horrible reference, i wouldn't put any stock in anything they say...

ABOATES wrote:Funny enough, the site you linked to, Discogs, also refers to them as New Wave... "New Wave rock group from Boston, Massachusetts. Formed in 1976, "

I just think they were the pop side of New Wave so they were palatable for the more traditional rock listeners... honestly, doesn't really matter to me either way. :-) Like I said, not a huge fan..liked them OK. I guess my fave album is Heartbeat City.

discogs is not a reference for bands types either, most of them are completely wrong.... i wouldn't trust anything they put as a category.

ABOATES wrote:http://duranduran.wikia.com/wiki/Clash_of_the_80%27s:_The_Ultimate_80%27s_New_Wave_Megamix_Party

Here's a New Wave CD compilation that has The Cars on it. Guess you don't have this one.

it's a horrible compilation also... it has:
--------------------------------------------
the police
the cars - tonight she comes (which is purely pop) and hello again
the soup dragons
robin gibb
the go gos
toni basil
the knack
the romantics
etc.

hardly what i call new wave.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 6:33 pm

I would say that Rolling Stone is more reliable for general consensus than some dude posting on a New Wave forum. Who cares whether you think they are reliable or not really? I don't. I don't read Rolling Stone myself, I am just making a point...The point is that most people consider The Cars to be New Wave...poppy, rock-oriented, but New Wave nonetheless... you seem like the kind of guy that is trying to prove that you know more then me. Good luck. btw The Police were considered New Wave when they first came out. The Go-Go's were New Wave all day. I'm 48 years old...I was in my teens during the 80s and I know what bands were considered and what they weren't. I was there. Also, who gives a crap about the compilation...you claimed you owned every New Wave compilation ever made and it never had The Cars on it...I Googled New Wave compilation and the first page came up with this. Whatever man...

Oh..just to add...this is from Trouser Press..."For an example of shifting perceptions, consider the Cars. When their debut LP appeared in 1978, the Boston quintet was tagged as a prime commercial and critical prospect of the emerging post-punk phenomenon called new wave. In other words, they were cool and potentially popular. Then, presto! Upon release of an album, the Cars became an immediate smash and entered the ranks of platinum-sellers, where they remained. Critics, predictably, soon found fault in their credibility, despite remarkable consistency on disc."

if you say they aren't reliable than you are an idiot.
Last edited by ABOATES on Mon May 22, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 6:52 pm

Allmusic
Blondie may have had a string of number one hits and Talking Heads may have won the hearts of the critics, but the Cars were the most successful American new wave band to emerge in the late '70s.

Encyclopædia Britannica
New wave music encompassed a wide variety of styles, which often shared a quirky insouciance and sense of humour. In the United States this broad spectrum included the B-52s, leading lights of an emerging music scene in Athens, Georgia, whose hybrid dance music mixed girl group harmonies with vocal experimentation such as that of Yoko Ono; Blondie, with its sex-symbol vocalist Deborah Harry; the disingenuous tunefulness of Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers; the Go-Go’s, whose debut album, Beauty and the Beat, reached number one in 1982; the Cars, who found immediate Top 40 success with “Just What I Needed”; and an artier avant-garde that included Devo and Talking Heads.

Paste Magazine
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... s.html?p=2

Taking their cue from the Velvet Underground, Roxy Music and an unapologetic love for pristine pop, the Cars’ meticulous approach merged New Wave with Old Wave and set a new high standard in the process. As irresistible ear candy, it’s still hard to beat

Rhino Records
http://www.rhino.com/artist/the-cars
In many ways, The Cars were the prototypical American new wave band of the 1980s. Barging into a pop-music scene then overwhelmed by English New Romantic pretty-boy bands, The Cars’ highly polished, chrome-plated four-on-the-floor rock ’n’ roll charged up the charts like a souped-up Camaro racing to the checkered flag—with the band’s Alberto Vargas-designed album art glinting like metal-flake paint on a hot rod.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Maybe The Cars were the ones who brought New Wave into the US market? The Cars' debut came before Blondie's Parallel Lines who had no success in America before that. This, if we consider their debut New Wave and not Hard Rock, or whatever.

ABOATES wrote:Oh yes, Stay received quite a bit of airplay in the early days. I remember it distinctly...everyone dressed in white. It stood out and was the reason I bought their album.

Dressed in white? Did they try to emulate Angel (the US 70s Pomp Rock band, who were known for being dressed in White)?
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Mon May 22, 2017 7:40 pm

ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:23 pm

ABOATES wrote:I would say that Rolling Stone is more reliable for general consensus than some dude posting on a New Wave forum. Who cares whether you think they are reliable or not really? I don't. I don't read Rolling Stone myself, I am just making a point...The point is that most people consider The Cars to be New Wave...poppy, rock-oriented, but New Wave nonetheless... you seem like the kind of guy that is trying to prove that you know more then me. Good luck. btw The Police were considered New Wave when they first came out. The Go-Go's were New Wave all day. I'm 48 years old...I was in my teens during the 80s and I know what bands were considered and what they weren't. I was there. Also, who gives a crap about the compilation...you claimed you owned every New Wave compilation ever made and it never had The Cars on it...I Googled New Wave compilation and the first page came up with this. Whatever man...

we'll have to agree to disagree, but you want to keep dragging this out, with yet more references, that don't mean anything.

also, i said this "many new wave compilations" , i never said all of them, but at least 95% of them that are new wave NEVER mentioned the cars,
why is that?

i'm actually older than you, so i don't know why you bring up age, and being there etc.. so i was i....
so what if the cars were new wave for you, they weren't for me, period...

and no amound of quoting yet more internet sites, or references is going to make me change my mind.

i've heard all their albums, owned them, and collected their music.... that's what i'm going by.

what the music actually sounds like, not what you think, or what other internet sites have to say.

good day, and thanks for the discussion.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am

Geez, you guys are arguing about shit from 30 years ago?

Reminds me of some dude here awhile back who stated "you're part of the problem" because I preferred the later works of Psychedelic Furs (Mirror Moves / Midnight to Midnight) or some band who started off "cool". Yeah, whatever. I hate to burst your bubble, but it doesn't matter what era of Furs you prefer; they're no longer cool, nor relevant :D .
obs
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Tue May 23, 2017 4:10 am

Ha...who cares right? I am not arguing, just pointing out that he is wrong. :-) Of course you can say "The Cars weren't New Wave to me..." that's the great out isn't it? OK then, well, To me Depeche Mode weren't really a synth band when they first came out...I think they were the first grunge band and no references to reviews by prominent sources, or facts are going to change my mind.
and I have a million synth compilations and Depeche Mode isn't on any of them...except for that one but it sucks so it doesn't count.

My argument is not based on what I think. That is what you are missing and refusing to acknowledge. I could give a rat's butt what you or anyone thinks of The Cars. I am not a fan and only own two of their albums. However, you sir are the one who is "dragging it out"and being close-minded. The point is not whether or not you view them as New Wave, they were New Wave.

Someone likes old Furs someone likes new Furs someone still thinks the Furs are relevant... that's based on like or not like..completely subjective. Blows my mind that anyone likes present day Depeche Mode more than Some Great Reward/Black Celebration/SOFAD era...but people have different tastes..I could argue all day about why the other albums were better, more groundbreaking etc etc etc..if someone doesn't like them, it doesn't matter. Labeling a band a different category because you feel like it is not the same thing. I acknowledged the rock influences at first to be generous...other dude started lecturing me on how Talking Heads were different than The Cars(!) and how long his complication collection is so I decided to explain why he should think of The Cars as New Wave like they are known as. He begs to disagree..cool disagree with facts...fine by me.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby MissingPersons » Tue May 23, 2017 9:39 am

But Talking Heads were WAY different than The Cars.

Maybe Panorama and Remain In Light bare some similarities...but if you play Candy-O and Talking Heads:77 back to back....well you'll realize the difference.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 am

What's your point? Who the flick thinks they sound the same? There seems to be difficulty with understanding sarcasm and hyperbole around here.
ABOATES
Take On Me

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations