Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Cars remasters

The Cars remasters

Postby rewind » Mon May 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Candy-O and Panorama will be released as Expanded Editions on July 28th. Include bonus tracks, b-sides, and remastering overseen by Ric Ocasek.
rewind
Room at the Top

Re: The Cars remasters

Postby negative1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm

not exactly 80's (although panorama came out in 1980), and not new wave.

these albums aren't as strong as their first one one, or shake it up.

so skipping them.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon May 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Are these the box set versions being reissued separately? They just put out all their albums remastered last year or so didn't they as part of the box set ?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Qbertqubes » Mon May 15, 2017 8:00 pm

These are indeed new wave. I am getting them both since they are great and almost as good as the first album
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Tue May 16, 2017 2:58 am

I don't know how many times I'm supposed to buy these albums. These are the same remasters from last year (which were a bit too loud) with the extra tracks tacked on. I may just get the bonus tracks from iTunes since I bought the box last year. I'm definitely not buying the CD again.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue May 16, 2017 8:13 am

Rubellan wrote:I don't know how many times I'm supposed to buy these albums. These are the same remasters from last year (which were a bit too loud) with the extra tracks tacked on. I may just get the bonus tracks from iTunes since I bought the box last year. I'm definitely not buying the CD again.

Exactly!! I'd prefer a new album rather than reissues. The boxset was enough. I bet they're going to reissue Heartbeat City next with extra tracks.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Tue May 16, 2017 12:42 pm

omar wrote:
Rubellan wrote:I don't know how many times I'm supposed to buy these albums. These are the same remasters from last year (which were a bit too loud) with the extra tracks tacked on. I may just get the bonus tracks from iTunes since I bought the box last year. I'm definitely not buying the CD again.

Exactly!! I'd prefer a new album rather than reissues. The boxset was enough. I bet they're going to reissue Heartbeat City next with extra tracks.

Heartbeat City is worth for the extras!
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:15 pm

these are way more rock oriented than anything.

heartbeat city was more pop, and same with the album after that.

maybe ric ocasek was somewhat new wave, but i have NEVER once thought of these albums, or this group as new wave.
they can dress the part, but that doesn't mean they sound it.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm

The Cars are an American rock band that emerged from the new wave scene in the late 1970s. The band originated in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1976, with singer, rhythm guitarist and songwriter Ric Ocasek, singer and bassist Benjamin Orr, lead guitarist Elliot Easton, keyboardist Greg Hawkes and drummer David Robinson.

Funny how every single reference to them on the net claims they were a new wave band :P
moni
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 pm

moni wrote:The Cars are an American rock band that emerged from the new wave scene in the late 1970s. The band originated in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1976, with singer, rhythm guitarist and songwriter Ric Ocasek, singer and bassist Benjamin Orr, lead guitarist Elliot Easton, keyboardist Greg Hawkes and drummer David Robinson.

Funny how every single reference to them on the net claims they were a new wave band :P

i doubt that all references to them are that, in fact i can find just as many that say they are rock,
and wikipedia is the last place i would look or trust..

this is exactly the wrong definition:
When the term “New Wave” was introduced in the musical language in 1976, it was essentially interchangeable with the term “Punk”. But as time went on it grew to designate a specific outgrowth of punk music that contrasted with what was called post-punk. Post-punk tended to be darker, more brooding, and at times even atonal. New Wave was brighter, more pop, synth-heavy and very dance-able. Other bands of the movement included Blondie, the Go-Go’s, The Talking Heads, and The Police.

here's a review from 1978 by robert palmer:
THE Cars, who are at the Bottom Line through tonight, are special. One suspects that they could become a very popular rock band, for they have taken some important but disparate contemporary trends — punk minimalism, the labyrinthine synthesizer and guitar textures of art rock, the 50's rockabilly revival and the melodious terseness of power pop — and mixed them into personal and annealing blend.

http://www.nytimes.com/1978/08/09/archi ... .html?_r=1

might as well call styx, supertramp, reo speedwagon, and van halen new wave then.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 pm

I think that anyone in the early 80s who introduced synths into their sound was classified as "new wave". To me new wave is a general term that was applied to everything that was coming out and sounding slightly different from the norm in the 80s etc.. As far as the Cars go i think they were probably a synth rock band (best put it).
omar
Room at the Top

Postby MissingPersons » Wed May 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey that's nice to know. I love The Cars.

I believe The Cars were more like Power Pop than New Wave (their first two albums at least). If you listen to albums like Rick Springfield's Working Class Dog (not New Wave) or Loverboy's Get Lucky (not New Wave) you'll notice many similarities. The reason they were classified as New Wave was perhaps because of Ric Ocasek's vocals and also their dressing/hair style.

Panorama maybe would be a little bit more New Wave/Post-Punk. Shake It Up and Heartbeat City were Synth-Pop, and Door To Door was maybe more like AOR.

Perhaps if Ben Orr did all the lead vocals, they'd be labeled as "Power Pop" or "AOR" or just "Hard Rock". Who knows.
MissingPersons
Take On Me

Postby telekon3 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 pm

"New Wave" is really just a journalistic music term that was invented to categorize newer artists that came along in a time period (Late 70's through the 80's) different to the standard sub-genres of rock and pop that had already dominated the music business. (Similar to terms Alternative or Indie of the last couple decades) Also during the New Wave era, genre terms would evolve into different terms for the same musical style. i.e. Euro-disco to Techno-pop to Synth-pop. Also not all Power-pop is classified as New Wave (Bad Finger, Raspberries, Cheap Trick) but some Power-pop is classified as "New Wave" (The Knack, The Romantics, Shoes)

"A New Wave of Rock & Roll Music"

Genre: New Wave

Sub-Genres:

New Romantic
Techno-Pop
Post-Punk
Synth-Pop
Guitar-Pop
Futurist
British-Pop
Early Punk
Minimal Synth
Italo-Disco
Jangle-pop
Euro-Disco
Power-Pop
Paisley Underground
2nd Wave Ska
Coldwave
Goth
Early Industrial
EBM
80's Mod
Alternative
80's Rockabilly
Sophisti-Pop
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby telekon3 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Back in the late 70's the record companies and the bands themselves were guilty of falsely marketing Power Pop as New Wave. I hated Power Pop until about 15 years ago, because I felt duped by the record companies and the bands. Back in the late 70's, except for used record stores, the mall record stores sold albums that were sealed in plastic and if the record wasn't being played on the radio you had nothing to go by except the artwork and photos on the album cover. These Power Pop albums were fashioned with a strong New Wave look and style when most of these bands were merely Pub Rock, Glitter, Power Pop, or Garage Rock bands. Some of these bands received some popularity by the middle of the road music listeners that thought real New Wave like, Ultravox and Gary Numan were just too weird. Power Pop bridged the gap and transition from Rock to New Wave for most of America.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu May 18, 2017 6:30 am

The Bottom line is, the Cars are amazing in every way possible, music, image etc. Just love them & get everything they put out.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations