Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink double 7"

Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink double 7"

Postby Rubellan » Wed May 31, 2017 6:06 am

For those interested, Futurismo are releasing in July a limited deluxe double 7" of the classic single 'Pretty In Pink'. The package will contain 4 different mixes of the song, will be on Pink vinyl, and will come with a gatefold sleeve, postcard and inner sleeves. http://store.futurismoinc.com/product/t ... -isn-t-she
I remastered the tracks last year, and have confirmed my name is spelled correctly in the credits this time ;-)

Scott
(Rubellan Remasters)
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Re: Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink double 7"

Postby crystal » Wed May 31, 2017 8:07 am

Looks definetely nice + I assume it will sound great.
Seriously though - the 2x7" plus postage to mainland Europe is 26.49 UKP... ahem, not in this world for me! Rather sad that these days everything seems to be about packaging and vinyl just to make sure to put stupid pricetags on the item.
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 am

Yes, the cost is more on the premium side, but it really comes down to the cost of manufacture. Futurismo does lavish packaging but each little bit of bling adds to the cost of production. Vinyl production costs are out of this world, from what I've seen recently in my own investigation. Toss in non-standard items like postcards or custom inner sleeves, the cost just goes up and up. I respect the effort Del puts into the designing of his items and his desire to stand out with high end packaging, but I also understand when people feel the cost may be a bit out of reach for them. I'm just happy it's finally coming out :)
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby crystal » Wed May 31, 2017 8:58 am

Yup, that is why I am always rather against vinyl these days - not that I have anything against the medium at all, but what it has become simply is not my thing. Of course, fancy packaging is a nice thing, but not everything. Seems like everything is just for the superrich these days. Always funny, if it is about bands that come out of the punk days, if you ask me... Would be nice if there's an alternative (like a cd-single) - so anyone who cares about the remaster could just buy this.
What really gets on my nerves are the postage costs that are asked - it doesn't cost anywhere near 6.50UKP to ship such a release to mainland Europe.

Curious question, did you remaster it specially for vinyl?
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 am

Someone on a label-related Facebook page also commented about the shipping price, and I believe it was an error and has now been corrected.
I do not remaster specifically with vinyl in mind. The previous limitations of vinyl are said to be heavy bass and high highs, yet I've had original LPs that occasionally have deep bass or excessive highs. I master the sound to what seems best to my ears. For older recordings that always means a careful increase in bass, since many older albums are a bit thin sounding. There have been occasions that I take the high end down a little, leave it as is, or even boost it if it's a particularly muddy or low-fi recording. But the thing that's often consistent with older recordings is too much mid-range. I definitely give the parametric EQ a bit of attention in that area. I hate that shrill horn-like midrange that can be inherent on some older recordings, and it also cuts poorly into vinyl.
But at some point it's out of my hands. Sometimes before being cut to vinyl, the manufacturing facility can apply something called a "de-esser" to take down some of the high end before they make the cut. I suspect that may have happened on one of my recent Altered Images 2 LP sets that I've remastered. Even though the tracks still sounded good, the top end seemed to have been rolled off just a little prior to cutting.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby crystal » Wed May 31, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks for the info!!! Would have seemed strange to me to remaster just with vinyl in mind, that is why I was asking.
Postage has gone down a little - is now 6UKP to mainland Europe.
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 am

I put up an exclusive 'Combo Mix' I created for my YouTube page with portions of all of the remastered versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRdNti7R0Y

Scott
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:59 am

I agree that the cost of vinyl is ridiculous. New albums going for like $20...crap...reissues are the same. I laugh when I see a Depeche Mode remaster on vinyl going for that kind of $ thinking how I paid $5 for it brand new when it came out in 1983!
As for postage costs...have you tried selling anything on eBay in the past year or so...?! Holy crud, international costs are totally insane. had to start making mine CONUS only...and even that is too much. When the economy tanks, there are ramifications. :-(
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby df118 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 pm

ABOATES wrote:I agree that the cost of vinyl is ridiculous. New albums going for like $20...crap...reissues are the same. I laugh when I see a Depeche Mode remaster on vinyl going for that kind of $ thinking how I paid $5 for it brand new when it came out in 1983!
As for postage costs...have you tried selling anything on eBay in the past year or so...?! Holy crud, international costs are totally insane. had to start making mine CONUS only...and even that is too much. When the economy tanks, there are ramifications. :-(

Shipping is insane...but not because of the postal rates. In the U.K. it's because of the global shipping programme. It's a rip off - where the seller sends it to another address in the U.K., and then they send it on to the global address. Takes twice as long and costs twice as much. A trip to the Post Office will show you that it's all BS. You can ship LPs to the US for less than £5. I just have them sent to my Sister and she sends them straight on.

US rates are very reasonable - but U.K. receivers often get charged an £8 hold fee by the Post Office...on top of a customs charge assessment. All of them are forms of arbitrary taxation.
df118
Take On Me

Postby crystal » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:51 pm

df118 wrote:A trip to the Post Office will show you that it's all BS. You can ship LPs to the US for less than £5. I just have them sent to my Sister and she sends them straight on.

http://www.postal-calculator.co.uk/ gives everyone an idea what it really costs to ship an item (postage that is).
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby df118 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:28 pm

crystal wrote:
df118 wrote:A trip to the Post Office will show you that it's all BS. You can ship LPs to the US for less than £5. I just have them sent to my Sister and she sends them straight on.

http://www.postal-calculator.co.uk/ gives everyone an idea what it really costs to ship an item (postage that is).

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/inter ... al-economy
df118
Take On Me

Postby Barmy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:34 pm

This is a pathetic joke. Possibly the worst vinyl anything ever.

Vinyl needs to go away....again.

I mean really, do we not have the technology to reproduce vinyl sound? If not, INVENT IT.

5, 10 or whatever years from now I hope someone can produce a perfect sounding recording. I can wait.

But this release in particular is beyond superfluous.

It is the most compromised PFurs song. Commercialized and crap.

And I'd rather die than own pink vinyl of this tune. Really. GEDDIT? The Song is Pretty in Pink. On PINK vinyl. The title says PINK. So it is on PINK vinyl. Understood?
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:43 pm

i agree.

pretty in pink is a weak song from them. the original 1981 version by steve lillywhite was better though.

i'll take vinyl, for all the tracks that never make it to cd or digitial. thankfully more things are being remastered
and released lately.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Barmy wrote:This is a pathetic joke. Possibly the worst vinyl anything ever.
Vinyl needs to go away....again.
I mean really, do we not have the technology to reproduce vinyl sound? If not, INVENT IT.
5, 10 or whatever years from now I hope someone can produce a perfect sounding recording. I can wait.
But this release in particular is beyond superfluous.
It is the most compromised PFurs song. Commercialized and crap.
And I'd rather die than own pink vinyl of this tune. Really. GEDDIT? The Song is Pretty in Pink. On PINK vinyl. The title says PINK. So it is on PINK vinyl. Understood?

Do you ever post anything that isn't filled with negativity and hate? In all of the years you've been here it seems the only thing you do is criticize people and/or their interests. Is life really that awful for you? If so, please save it. The release is going to be beautiful, and it's a great tribute to one of the bands' signature tunes. I think the original version is excellent, and cannot wait to see what Del has created regarding the packaging. It's that old phrase that I always see whenever someone bitches about a release: "If you don't like it, don't buy it". Simple as that. Del has spent ages trying to get this release out there and persisted through various snags to bring it out. Hell, the remastering was done about a year ago. But do you think it would have better sales potential if it was a 4 track collection of B sides from obscure singles? OK, you don't like vinyl. That's your right. I don't buy it for anything other than my collection. Just like someone shells out cash for silly baseball cards, I will pay for a deluxe vinyl release if it appeals to me. And the collector's market is there. So good for those who still like vinyl for whatever their reasons are.

Scott
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby pinkyblue82 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Not only should you be paid for your stellar mastering and great efforts in bringing these releases to fruition, but also for your superb writing skills. Always on point!
pinkyblue82
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations