Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

B-52's SHM-CDs Reissues

B-52's SHM-CDs Reissues

Postby BigManRestless » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:01 am

Out in August in Japan, the complete B-52's with Ricky Wilson in mini-lp paper sleeves.

The B-52's
Wild Planet
Party Mix!
Mesopotamia
Whammy!
Bouncing Off The Satellites

I wonder if Whammy! will included Don't Worry and which mixes of Mesopotamia we'll get. These have never been upgraded since the original CDs appeared in the 80s, I do hope they are new masterings.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Re: B-52's SHM-CDs Reissues

Postby ABOATES » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:58 am

from CD Japan: Cardboard sleeve reissue release from The B-52's featuring SHM-CD format. Available as mini LP for the first time. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design, including an inner sleeve. Includes an obi replicating its Japan first pressing LP design. Features 2017 remastering, using the UK original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "The B-52's," "Wild Planet," "Party Mix! EP," "Mesopotamia EP," "Whammy!," and "Bouncing Off The Satellites."
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:30 pm

I will wait until someone can confirm whether or not these are brickwalled. Master tapes is nice but they can easily ruin that opportunity with some heavy handed compression.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Arent Japanees cds usually pretty good quality?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:28 am

SHM-CD is a gimmick either way, but the quality is always from the mastering. Japan CD's have also been a victim of brickwalling. I've heard the Devo box from a few years back was extremely squashed, and I've seen similar in other titles as well. For me it will be wait and see.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 am

Hey there,
Certainly agree w waiting...you never know. Some labels get it and don't squish the heck out of the music and others just tear it up. I do think that most arenas are starting to get the message (except perhaps hard rock/heavy metal..but that's another story all together...) and are going for a cleaner/straight transfer approach with just a tiny bit of leveling used to bring up the volume a tad. Nevertheless, waiting can be prudent...Of course, they are limited edition and once they go the only way you will be able to get them is second had expensive... I personally really like the Japan mini sleeve replicas and typically find them to be well done.

One other quick note...the discs in the This is Devo box set were not all bad. Duty Now, Freedom of Choice, and Oh No sound wonderful. In particular Duty Now and FOC are terrific. Freedom of Choice was originally mixed very thin and to get a good mix of it is quite an accomplishment.
On the bad side is the first album though which is super bright and borderline unlistenable. I actually prefer the original WB CD release of this one. As everyone knows the master tapes for New Traditionalists have had probs so not sure if that one can even be judged. I think the Japan version might be the best sounding one overall though.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:18 am

I'm interested in these but will take a "wait and see" approach as others have noted.

I've noted this here before, but in the '00s there was a DVD-Audio of Cosmic Thing in 5.1 on the release schedule forever; it eventually got pulled.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:22 am

ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby RobinVa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 am

I asked one of the Japanese sellers. Whammy does not have "Don't Worry", it has "Moon 83" yet again. So I am passing on it.
RobinVa
Running Up That Hill

Postby RevUp64 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am

The next question, then, will be which mix is used for Mesopotamia. I suspect it will be the one that has always been on cd outside the US, which is the mix that was originally on the US LP, but I'd like to know for sure before spending that much on an ep.
RevUp64
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ABOATES » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:21 pm

From CD Japan: Cardboard sleeve reissue release from The B-52's featuring SHM-CD format. Available as mini LP for the first time. The mini LP faithfully replicates its UK first pressing LP design. Includes an obi replicating its Japan first pressing LP design. Features 2017 remastering, using the UK original master tapes. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following titles: "The B-52's," "Wild Planet," "Party Mix! EP," "Mesopotamia EP," "Whammy!," and "Bouncing Off The Satellites."
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Babakazoo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:09 am

These will be interesting to hear. The albums have never been remastered before, and desperately needed re-mastering. I hope they do a great job with them, I will be buying them for sure :D
Babakazoo
Running Up That Hill

Postby Carl Stanley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:21 am

Received 'Mesopotamia' and 'Party Mix' today - 'Mesopotamia' contains the same versions that were previously available on cd, which, to be honest, I always preferred to the original UK version. They are newly remastered (by Kenji Yoshino, if that means anything to anyone) and aren't at all compressed. There isn't a HUGE difference on 'Mesopotamia' but it sounds brighter and crisper than the existing cd version, which sounds too loud and bass-heavy in comparison, but 'Party Mix' sounds fantastic, especially 'Give Me Back My Man', although I can only compare this to the vinyl version as 'Party Mix' is the only B-52's album I don't own on cd. My speakers are Pioneer S-DJ05-W with built in amp. I shall post my thoughts on the other reissues as they arrive, but, so far, I'm really glad I bought them.
Carl Stanley
Running Up That Hill

Postby BigManRestless » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:22 am

Carl - is Mesopotamia the same 1990 remix that was used on the US CD (on the twofer with Party Mix) or the original US vinyl mix?
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Carl Stanley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:40 am

The same version as the original US album - it's definitely an improvement, as I said, not a huge difference but it's got no distortion when played loud whereas the existing cd version is too bass-y to my ears.
Carl Stanley
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations