Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New DM single is "Going Backwards"

New DM single is "Going Backwards"

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm

This probably isn't "news" to most with their finger on the pulse of things, but since "Going Backwards" was my first wish for the second single from "Spirit" I thought I'd give it a plug. I haven't seen any official announcement of remixes or when the full single will be released (so far just a 2 track download has been officially released) but im just happy they finally chose a GOOD song as a single. For a solid "singles" band, the last three albums have been overall poorly represented by the songs chosen as singles. Not saying "Going Backwards" will singlehandedly rush them to the top of the global charts, but it is a solid tune with timely lyrics and a good dose of what i consider to be that "classic Mode" feel to it. Cautiously excited for remixes (Francois Kevorkian we need you!!!) but even if they fail (as most DM remixes have - with an occasional exception - since 1997), the original itself is worthy of the spotlight on its own.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: New DM single is "Going Backwards"

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 am

Depeche Mode to Release Special Remix Bundle of "Going Backwards"
Remixes Available August 11th
Depeche Mode will release a digital bundle featuring remixes of "Going Backwards" on August 11th. The bundle will include 12 remixes of "Going Backwards" as well as special remixes of "Poison Heart" and "You Move." The release will be available through all digital and streaming services; fans can purchase here: http://smarturl.it/GoingBackwardsRMX Vinyl and CD versions of the bundle will be available in September.

"Going Backwards" Special Remix Bundle (8/11)

Tracklist:
Going Backwards (Radio Edit)
Going Backwards (Chris Liebing Mix)
Going Backwards (Chris Liebing Burn Slow Mix)
Going Backwards (Solomun Extended Radio Remix)
Going Backwards (Solomun Remix Radio Version)
Going Backwards (Solomun Club Remix)
Going Backwards (The Belleville Three Full Vocal Mix)
Going Backwards (The Belleville Three Deep Bass Dub)
Going Backwards (The Belleville Three Raw Detroit Dub)
Going Backwards (The Belleville Three Full Vocal Mix Radio Edit)
Going Backwards (Point Point Remix)
Going Backwards (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
Poison Heart (Soulsavers Re-Work)
You Move (Latroit Remix)

As I mentioned in my previous posting, Depeche Mode singles and remixes have been, at best, a mixed bag for many years now in my opinion. But the announcement that "Going Backwards" was their new single actually got me EXCITED! Now that the official remixes are unleashed, I'm happy to say that this is probably the best single release from DM since "Precious", complete with some mixes that are actually LISTENABLE.

Most significantly, the "Radio Edit" is in fact a subtly different mix than the album version, not just an edit. The differences are in the atmospheric electronic "sound effects" and can admittedly be hard to catch unless you're comparing the tracks section by section. But it is indeed it's own unique mix, and an excellent abridged version of what I think is the most solid track on the album.

Not a big fan of the first Chris Liebing mix, but I very much like the spookiness of the Burn Slow Mix (with full vocal). I really like the dance-floor intensity of the Solomun mixes (each of which focuses on different vocal elements, with the Radio Version featuring the full vocal). The first two Belleville Three mixes are fairly generic (though the first one does feature a full vocal). Their Radio Edit (with full vocal) is probably my favorite of their four mixes, as it highlights the vocals more. Their Raw Detroit Dub, however, is quite good. Reminds me of some of DM's early 90's house-tinged mixes - some very nice sonics and room to breathe - but sadly, very little vocal. Still...an intriguing listen. The Point Point Mix, like the Burn Slow Mix, embraces the original BPM and full vocal. It's musically very different from the original, but it still does the song's melody justice and I quite like it. The Maya Jane Coles Mix is one of my favorites. It features a full vocal and ups the BPM somewhat, but offers a more stripped down club mix. The mix of "Poison In Your Heart" is decent, with a full vocal overlaying a Motown/Philly musical palette - I'm actually kind of digging it. "You Move" only features the chorus vocal, but it's got a really nice minimalist groove to it.

I'm definitely buying the CD-single when it is released in September. It will be the first PHYSICAL Depeche Mode single I will have purchased since "Martyr".
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Danielwaver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Perfect name; just like their music going backwards......
Danielwaver
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:19 am

No, sorry, have to disagree...their music is not going backwards at all....going backwards would mean that they somehow are recapturing past glories or reconnecting to the sound that they created that was so original and influential back in the day...they are so far from that now that they aren't even recognizable as the same band (in my humble opinion). Perfectly cool to still like them....for me... Ultra was the last gasp of a spent force. To be fair, they have had a couple of decent songs after that time...Precious, Wrong, Heaven, Cover Me all are decent tracks, but I just simply do not care for the blues-based electro stadium rock sound they have had going for some time. I prefer the Construction Time Again/Some Great Reward/Black Celebration era... Further, Dave's singing esp. live has become so bad with the nasal sneer thing going...I honestly cannot even listen to them. I can't imagine what someone sees in their current music that turns them on...like what's their angle?
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby moni » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm

ABOATES wrote:No, sorry, have to disagree...their music is not going backwards at all....going backwards would mean that they somehow are recapturing past glories or reconnecting to the sound that they created that was so original and influential back in the day...they are so far from that now that they aren't even recognizable as the same band (in my humble opinion). Perfectly cool to still like them....for me... Ultra was the last gasp of a spent force. To be fair, they have had a couple of decent songs after that time...Precious, Wrong, Heaven, Cover Me all are decent tracks, but I just simply do not care for the blues-based electro stadium rock sound they have had going for some time. I prefer the Construction Time Again/Some Great Reward/Black Celebration era... Further, Dave's singing esp. live has become so bad with the nasal sneer thing going...I honestly cannot even listen to them. I can't imagine what someone sees in their current music that turns them on...like what's their angle?

I agree with all that fully.
moni
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations