Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

China Crisis Re-Issues

China Crisis Re-Issues

Postby WLR » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:42 am

:D Not before time! China Crisis are releasing deluxe editions of their first 3 albums, "Difficult Shapes And Passive Rhythms Some People Think It's Fun To Entertain", "Working With Fire And Steel" and "Flaunt The Imperfection", they are 2CD Editions except "Wishful Thinking", which is a 3 Disc Box Set, I can only guess that one of the discs will be a live concert.

Amaazon have them listed for release on September 1st, however, no track listings have been posted yet.

Nice to see these getting the Deluxe treatment.
WLR
The Jet Set

Re: China Crisis Re-Issues

Postby omar » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:18 am

Finally!
omar
Room at the Top

Postby thunderbird2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 am

Excellent this has made my day , but the only downside is September is going to be an expensive month and on top of August with the blancmange box set
so these , gary numan , OMD all out is September

anyway my main hope is that never too late appears on CD for the first time , a real lost gem
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby ZippY » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:35 am

Wasn't there a topic about CC remasters on this board lately? I remember I replied over there about certain tracks.

*update

Found it! :

http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=40613

It went from July 2nd 2016 to September 4th 2016.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:57 am

I'm astonished! Maybe there will be a wider release of "Autumn In The Neighbourhood?" I was unable to pledge for it and thought that it would be available elsewhere afterward.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:59 am

One of my all-time fave bands. This is cool, although it is going to be very tough to improve on the sound quality of the original CD's. Esp. Difficult Shapes and Flaunt the Imperfection. They were both recorded, mixed, and mastered very, very well. Unlike many here I have zero interest in 12" mixes and I find releasing demos a bit silly as well. The only way I would buy these would be if the overall sound quality is improved. If not, I am happy w the original releases.
I did buy the Cherry Red Diary of a Hollow Horse remaster. It has some interesting bonus tracks. However, when I am in the mood to listen to that album, I still grab the original CD. :-]
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby schwenko » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:05 pm

ABOATES wrote:One of my all-time fave bands. This is cool, although it is going to be very tough to improve on the sound quality of the original CD's. Esp. Difficult Shapes and Flaunt the Imperfection. They were both recorded, mixed, and mastered very, very well. Unlike many here I have zero interest in 12" mixes and I find releasing demos a bit silly as well. The only way I would buy these would be if the overall sound quality is improved. If not, I am happy w the original releases.
I did buy the Cherry Red Diary of a Hollow Horse remaster. It has some interesting bonus tracks. However, when I am in the mood to listen to that album, I still grab the original CD. :-]

At Iridium last summer, Gary said they would contain demos.
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:50 pm

The CC first three albums definitely should be remastered. Yes the original cds were ok but a little baseless at times. It would be nice to have many of those 12" singles on cd as most of them are on vinyl.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby ABOATES » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:55 am

The original releases were "bassless" because that is how the album sounded and was recorded. They were not bassless at all of course, everything is well balanced. The emphasis on extreme bass and compression was not yet a common practice. If the reissues "add bass" I won't touch them. In my opinion, "remastered" should simply be flat transfers. The purpose is not to make the original recordings sound "different" or "better:. The purpose is to use today's modern technology to accurately portray what was on the master tapes. if bass oomph was not on the original, it should not be added. I can think of two horrid examples off the top of my head that soured me greatly on "remasters"...OMD Dazzle Ships remaster was unlistenable...that album is supposed to be a quaint, charming early synth experimental record but the remster added this huge bloated loud kick drum to it that completely ruined the mix. The The remasters...Dusk in particular was so brickwalled that it actually has distortion in parts. I am of the mindset these days that 98% of the time, the original release be it vinyl or CD sounds the best. On rare occasions to modern engineers get it right.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 pm

I can be cheap when it comes to reissues. I have the original CC discs, but the "Flaunt" copy I have is a PDO [badly bronzed now] as I had given my Nimbus pressing to a friend who needed a copy and thought "I'll just buy a new one." Whoops. At the time, the problems of PDO bronzing had not manifest. I usually buy reissues not for "better sound" [though some can be magnificent - particularly DSD remasters] but for the bonus material added. I plan on buying these.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm

My Flaunt has a gold tinge to it as well..I think it was always like that. Is that not normal?
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby moni » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 pm

ABOATES wrote:The original releases were "bassless" because that is how the album sounded and was recorded. They were not bassless at all of course, everything is well balanced. The emphasis on extreme bass and compression was not yet a common practice. If the reissues "add bass" I won't touch them. In my opinion, "remastered" should simply be flat transfers. The purpose is not to make the original recordings sound "different" or "better:. The purpose is to use today's modern technology to accurately portray what was on the master tapes. if bass oomph was not on the original, it should not be added. I can think of two horrid examples off the top of my head that soured me greatly on "remasters"...OMD Dazzle Ships remaster was unlistenable...that album is supposed to be a quaint, charming early synth experimental record but the remster added this huge bloated loud kick drum to it that completely ruined the mix. The The remasters...Dusk in particular was so brickwalled that it actually has distortion in parts. I am of the mindset these days that 98% of the time, the original release be it vinyl or CD sounds the best. On rare occasions to modern engineers get it right.

I disagree about the remaster of Dazzle Ships as it sounds fine to my ears but i totally agree with you regarding those The The remasters that are severely brickwalled. If the remaster of Hollow Horse from a few years ago is anything to go by these will sound fine.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Saw that the label is Caroline International. Doesn't Caroline Records put out usually good stuff?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 am

Hold your breath!! Here's the track list:

Difficult Shapes & Passive Rhythms, Some People Think It’s Fun to Entertain (2CD deluxe edition)

CD 1

Difficult Side

Seven Sports for All
No More Blue Horizons (Fool, Fool, Fool)
Feel to Be Driven Away
Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives
Christian
Entertainment Side

African And White
Are We a Worker
Red Sails
You Never See It
Temptations Big Blue Eyes
Jean Walks in Freshfields

CD 2

Paula and Patricia – Demo
lowlands – Demo
African And White – Demo
African And White – B-Side
No More Blue Horizons (Fool, Fool, Fool) – B-Side
No Ordinary Lover – B-Side
Watching Over Burning Fields – B-Side
Scream Down at Me – B-Side
Greenacre Bay – B-Side
Performing Seals – B-Side
Cucumber Garden – B-Side
Seven Sports for All – John Peel Session
This Occupation – John Peel Session
Be Suspicious – John Peel Session
Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives– John Peel Session

Working With Fire And Steel – Possible Pop Songs Volume Two (3CD deluxe edition)

CD 1

Working with Fire and Steel
When the Piper Calls
Hanna Hanna
Animals in Jungles
Here Comes a Raincloud
Wishful Thinking
Tragedy and Mystery
Papua
The Gates of Door To Door
The Soul Awakening

CD 2

Jon and Van – Demo
Tragedy and Mystery – Demo
When the Piper Calls – Demo
Fire and Steel – Mix
Dockland – B-Side
Forever I and I – B-Side
Tragedy and Mystery – B-Side
A Golden Handshake for Every Daughter – B-Side
Wishful Thinking – Edit
Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives – B-Side
This Occupation – Extended Mix
Some People I Know to Lead Fantastic Lives – Extended Mix
Hanna Hanna – Extended Mix
Here Come a Raincloud – Live
African And White – Live

CD 3

Hanna Hanna – Kid Jensen Session
You Never See It – Kid Jensen Session
Animals and Jungles – Kid Jensen Session
Reflections – Kid Jensen Session
A Golden Handshake for Every Daughter – John Peel Session
Wishful Thinking – John Peel Session
Here Comes a Raincloud – John Peel Session
Greenacre Day – John Peel Session
Papua – Kid Jensen Session
No Ordinary Lover – Kid Jensen Session
When the Piper Calls – Kid Jensen Session
The Soul Awakening – Kid Jensen Session

FLAUNT THE IMPERFECTION (2CD deluxe edition)

CD 1

The Highest High
Strength of Character
You Did Cut Me
Black Man Ray
Wall of God
Gift of Freedom
King in a Catholic Style
Bigger the Punch I’m Feeling
The World Spins, I’m Part of It
Blue Sea

CD 2

Wall of God – Demo
Black Man Ray – Demo
Bigger the Punch I’m Feeling – Demo
Animalistic – B-Side
Christian – B-Side
You Did Cut Me – B-Side
Seven Sports for All – B-Side
King in A Catholic Style (Wake Up) – edit
Animalistic – B-Side
It’s Never Too Late – B-Side
96-8 – B-Side
Orange Mutt – Mutt Dance
Gift of Freedom – Janice Long Session
Strength of Character – Janice Long Session
Wall of God – Janice Long Session
King in A Catholic Style (Wake Up) – Janice Long Session
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:15 am

ABOATES wrote:The original releases were "bassless" because that is how the album sounded and was recorded. They were not bassless at all of course, everything is well balanced. The emphasis on extreme bass and compression was not yet a common practice. If the reissues "add bass" I won't touch them. In my opinion, "remastered" should simply be flat transfers. The purpose is not to make the original recordings sound "different" or "better:. The purpose is to use today's modern technology to accurately portray what was on the master tapes. if bass oomph was not on the original, it should not be added. I can think of two horrid examples off the top of my head that soured me greatly on "remasters"...OMD Dazzle Ships remaster was unlistenable...that album is supposed to be a quaint, charming early synth experimental record but the remster added this huge bloated loud kick drum to it that completely ruined the mix. The The remasters...Dusk in particular was so brickwalled that it actually has distortion in parts. I am of the mindset these days that 98% of the time, the original release be it vinyl or CD sounds the best. On rare occasions to modern engineers get it right.

Agree. Best example of a good remaster is Thomas Dolby's reissues. Shame not a huge fan.

Re track listing, what is unreleased?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations