Page 2 of 6

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm
by Rubellan
Unfortunately, it seems like there's always a chance something could go wrong. But this first step with Universal will let me know if there are any issues, at least from the legal perspective. It really consists of them reviewing the original contract from 1982 and determining the fee required (from me) based on that, as long as they see no roadblocks. But it's just a guessing game when they will actually review the request. As mentioned in the other thread, Sony have clearly stated it's all about priority when it comes to the legal review, but she did tell me a good estimate is 3 months, give or take a little. I'm hoping Universal are similar. The sales manager originally asked me to check in with him at the end of September to see if legal reviewed the request (it was sent to them on September 11), but they had not yet. And as recently as last week, he responded to my latest inquiry by stating that legal are likely working on higher priority requests at the moment. But it's been in their queue now for 2 months so we can only hope the review is coming soon.

I just got off the phone with Dane Conover. What a nice and friendly guy. He said another label wanted to release the album about 15 years or so ago but at that time Universal wanted a unit guarantee well into the 5 figures, which just wasn't realistic. Nowadays, I can release it from Universal with a 1500 unit guarantee. Dane has a load of period material that he is going to let me review for bonus tracks. I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:27 pm
by Qbertqubes
You can put me down for an official cd when it comes out. Why waste money on a bootleg just to buy it again I will buy the real thing. I have it on CD-R all ready so I am dying to replace it the right way and with bonus tracks

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:56 pm
by Danielwaver
Rubellan wrote:Unfortunately, it seems like there's always a chance something could go wrong. But this first step with Universal will let me know if there are any issues, at least from the legal perspective. It really consists of them reviewing the original contract from 1982 and determining the fee required (from me) based on that, as long as they see no roadblocks. But it's just a guessing game when they will actually review the request. As mentioned in the other thread, Sony have clearly stated it's all about priority when it comes to the legal review, but she did tell me a good estimate is 3 months, give or take a little. I'm hoping Universal are similar. The sales manager originally asked me to check in with him at the end of September to see if legal reviewed the request (it was sent to them on September 11), but they had not yet. And as recently as last week, he responded to my latest inquiry by stating that legal are likely working on higher priority requests at the moment. But it's been in their queue now for 2 months so we can only hope the review is coming soon.

I just got off the phone with Dane Conover. What a nice and friendly guy. He said another label wanted to release the album about 15 years or so ago but at that time Universal wanted a unit guarantee well into the 5 figures, which just wasn't realistic. Nowadays, I can release it from Universal with a 1500 unit guarantee. Dane has a load of period material that he is going to let me review for bonus tracks. I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.


Oh ok, sorry but I have heard this story on many unreleased vinyl records. At the end of the day the label just doesn't care enough to have this great album released as they have more pressing priorities. I guarantee that we won't see this on CD but I hope I'm wrong.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:02 am
by Barmy
Rubellan, you officially suck. Beyond pathetic. You should be banned from this site. This is the first time that anyone has inflicted actual harm to people who post here. The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

And I already have another source lined up for this when they get it in stock. And it's not your bootlegger, but a pressed CD.

Loser.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:33 am
by Rubellan
Oh Barmy, I just want to say thank you because reading your post gave me such a laugh with my morning coffee. Your drama queen status just doubled. I think I'll put the following in the credits on the CD: "Special thanks to Barmy from the New Wave Outpost for all of the laughs and amusement. I couldn't have seen this through to completion without your unique brand of motivation. You rock!"

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 am
by Barmy
I was going to buy it anyway. Tx.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:24 am
by rewind
telekon3 wrote:What about the sale of used CDs?
The record companies and the artists don't see a dime from those sales, while the re-seller site makes a commission.

As a point of fact, selling used CD's is perfectly permissible under the First Sale Doctrine, which was codified into U.S. law under the Copyright Act of 1976.

Selling unauthorized reproductions -- bootlegs -- is illegal.


Barmy wrote:The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

Actually it's very much in line with what this site is about. The instructions on the Obscure 80s Central page clearly state that "requesting songs that are ... easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed." This site routinely removed links to in-print material so as not to run afoul of the law.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:55 pm
by Barmy
All good. That's why I never post new threads about CDs! Thanks!!!!!

I don't need this website to let me know about "unofficial" CDs.

So let's go back to complaining about the absence of 7 inch versions on the latest A Flock Of Seagulls re-re-issue.

And you wonder why this forum is essentially dead.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:51 am
by Danielwaver
The instructions on the Obscure 80s Central page clearly state that "requesting songs that are ... easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed." This site routinely removed links to in-print material so as not to run afoul of the law.[/quote]

Oh yes dummy, Trees can easily be found on CD. What are you on? You didn't know what this is about and use your fucking copyright rant over & over again.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 pm
by Rubellan
.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:56 pm
by Danielwaver
Barmy wrote:Rubellan, you officially suck. Beyond pathetic. You should be banned from this site. This is the first time that anyone has inflicted actual harm to people who post here. The very idea of using new release posts to shut down something YOU want to release is COMPLETELY antithetical to what this site is about.

And I already have another source lined up for this when they get it in stock. And it's not your bootlegger, but a pressed CD.

Loser.


Barmy, do you realize that it was Dane who has written the music, had that released blocked? (most likely with a hint from Rubeallaen) He has written the music and has the right to fight a bootleg release. So it's not like Rubeallan had it blocked on his own just because he's trying to get the license to release it. It remains to be seen if this will be released at all. As from what I'm seeing, Universal has no real incentive to prioritize this over other projects as the last thing they care about is the art of music.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:13 am
by Barmy
I couldn't care less about this useless band.

Duh my posts were a put-on.

I won't buy this silly garbage under any circumstances. There's a reason it took a gazillion years to even bootleg it.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:27 pm
by Danielwaver
Rubellan wrote:I hope to cram the CD to the maximum with unreleased goodies. But we still have to wait for Universal's initial response.



Any response from Universal Scott? I'll come back to this topic in 6 months and I can guarantee there's no interest shown by Universal. They just couldn't care less.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:42 pm
by Barmy
Yeah I'm sure this CD will get major focus from Universal.

The very idea of banning something from discogs because someone else wanted to release it is so pathetic and sad. Boo hoo someone else got there first ::tears::

Discogs is easily the most valuable resource for obscurities, so interfering with it is offensive, unethical and just plain wrong. But Rubellan went there.

Again, this band means nothing to me. But interfering with discogs and banning something? That means a lot to me, and is a violation of any code of conduct I can imagine. The ban is easily circumvented to those who care.

Re: Trees "Sleep Convention" on CD this December

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 am
by Rubellan
.