Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Visage - why are Polydor opposed to 1st album delux remaster

Re: Visage - why are Polydor opposed to 1st album delux rema

Postby Jolo0924 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:04 am

I seem to remember in 1983 when Visage released their Singles Collection album, Polydor released the single "In The Year 2525" as a single with 12" remix, but then it got pulled. I remember seeing it in Record Mirror in the new releases section. It even had a catalogue no. Anyone have any further info on this?
Jolo0924
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:47 am

You won't be able to fit the album, B-sides and 12 mixes on one disc simple because it all exceeds capacity time. So the 2-CD version is the only way (unless of course you leave something out - which we don't want to do, do we? :D ).

I actually have left all hopes of a reissue behind and just did my own version using vinyl and first CD edition rips (actually almost everything from the first album era is on CD here and there). Here's what I came up with:

CD 1:
Visage 3.53 / Blocks on Blocks 4.00 / The Dancer 3.40 / Tar 3.32 / Fade to Grey 4.00 / Malpaso Man 4.14 / Mind of a Toy 4.28 / Moon Over Moscow 4.00 / Visa-Age 4.18 / The Steps 3.14 // In the Year 2525 3.45 / Frequency 7 3.05 / We Move 4.00 / Second Steps 5.26 / Philip Lynott: Yellow Pearl (Original 7" Version) 3.18 / Ronny: If You Want Me to Stay 4.17

CD 2:
Tar (7" Version) 3.25 / Fade to Grey (German Maxi Version) 6.14 / Mind of a Toy (7" Version) 3.32 / We Move (1983 Remix) 3.45 / Mind of a Toy (Dance Mix) 5.14 / We Move (Dance Mix) 6.28 / Frequency 7 (Dance Mix) 5.02 / Visage (Dance Mix) 6.01 / Fade to Grey (Dance Mix) 6.41 / Philip Lynott: Yellow Pearl (Dance Mix) 4.29 / Ronny: If You Want Me to Stay (Dance Mix) 5.50

Now I'm thinking of adding the first Shock single as it was Egan and Burgess - and the latter did "computer programming" on the first album so is a part of the bigger team. At least "R.E.R.B." can surely be added.

As for unreleased material, don't think there anything in a way of 'composed but not released" stuff beyond those near-mythical 1978 demos by Ure/Egan/Strange - all the team members were pretty busy all the time so I'm sure everything they did ended up on record.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 am

As great as it is, the Shock single was more a Landscape related single.
(Besides, it came out on RCA too, as opposed to Visage's Polydor.)
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby RichardAnvil » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:18 am

Nice suggested track list, though it misses off both the original and the John Hudson remixed In The Year 2525. You could add in all the 7” versions of the four singles too. I don’t know if there are any other unreleased tracks. If there are they will probably be only different mixes of current tracks. Famously Fade To Grey was recorded with Gary Numans backing band to bring up the numbers as there weren’t enough tracks to make an album and apart from We Move, which was originally recorded to release as an a side to break into the US market (which never happened) all the other b sides were instrumentals, so it’s very unlikely another unreleased track is lying around.
I personally I’m not sure about including the Ronny track. I know it was produced by Midge and Rusty but are the musicians Visage? Having said that I’d love to have a Ronny CD compilation too.
RichardAnvil
Running Up That Hill

Postby discoginfo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 am

We Move is a great track. The Ronny tracks were mainly to have them on a CD album at all, hence on CD 2. "Produced by" could mean anything from slightly overseen by The producer, to totally sounding like The Producer (as in the case of many producers). My original idea was to have a companion CD "The Singles" which would also include a DVD. For the most part the single versions are merely shorter than the album version. About the year 2525 track, I have always heard that the released version is the original 1978 version.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 am

RichardAnvil wrote:Hi Rubellan,
Thanks for your reply. Have you had any success with Universal/Polydor requests? Don’t mean to be disrespectful but as I don’t know who you are do you have enough clout for Universal/Polydor to really take notice of you? If they are like any other business if you don’t deal directly with the top nothing happens unless you are big enough to make them notice you and see it as a priority. You know far more about this than me, so I apologise if you take offence, but there must be a way to improve the odds. I’m just thinking who else we would need to deal with to get things moving? For me a timescale Of 3-5 years would be totally acceptable, it’s more a concern that it will never happen.
Would it help to have information on;
Where the tapes are?
Which unreleased tracks there are?
Getting an agreement from all copyright holders for a release (tracks with 7 writing credits must be a nightmare to sort out legally).
Also do we know if anyone else has also requested licences to reissue (eg the Steve Strange Collective?)
I’d be happy to try to make contacts to find this out if we had a backing release company (eg you Rubellan).

Hi, no offense taken. I've only been in contact with Universal since September. The whole thing about reissues is you have to find the right contact within the label, and for Universal it's a sales manager. He takes the requests, confirms ownership of the material, then runs it through Legal/Business Affairs, which is where all the delay comes from because they handle things in Priority order, meaning what do they stand to make the most $$ from. Low volume reissues generally go to the bottom of the list and there's no time frame when they may get to it. I've been told it can take years in certain cases. With Visage, or most titles for that matter, it really doesn't involve the artist unless (on the rare occasion back in those days) it was written into their contact that they have some form of control over releases. And I do think that upon initial contact with the major labels, they responded to me with a smirk doubting my seriousness, but over the months and the communications, they know that I am serious. Perhaps once I establish myself with each label when monies have been exchanged, I may get some projects done quicker but I can't say for sure. I know Cherry Red in the UK have a good relationship with Sony and can generally get things reviewed and approved fairly quickly. I don't know if that kind of thing happens in the U.S. but from what I've been hearing from other labels, it doesn't seem so. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 am

Given the extreme number of Visage reissues, where is the market for this.

Everyone who likes Visage has their material. The market audience for YET ANOTHER series of rereleases is just freaky sound quality CD peeps. Not a lot of people.

Let's release stuff that has NEVER been on CD. Fiat Lux, perhaps.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:55 am

discoginfo wrote:As great as it is, the Shock single was more a Landscape related single.
(Besides, it came out on RCA too, as opposed to Visage's Polydor.)

Well, yes and no regarding Shock - I know the main work was done by Landscape guys (Burgess and Walters), but it sounds very little like that band and quite a lot like Visage, very much in this Blitz/Futurist aesthetic (especially "R.E.R.B."). So, also given Egan's involvement, it has a right to be on Visage deluxe CD. The main thing to block it is, of course, the RCA connection - but if we're doing our own version at home (like I did) this thing is not important :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:08 am

RichardAnvil wrote:Nice suggested track list, though it misses off both the original and the John Hudson remixed In The Year 2525. You could add in all the 7” versions of the four singles too.

I personally I’m not sure about including the Ronny track. I know it was produced by Midge and Rusty but are the musicians Visage? Having said that I’d love to have a Ronny CD compilation too.

No, it doesn't miss "2525" - it's the first bonus on CD 1 :D As for remixed 1983 version, it's not that different from the original so not of much interest. Besides, it seemingly only exists in the mixed version (almost all of its CD appearances are for the cassette version with the outro featuring sequencers from the succeeding "The Anvil"). So this one almost should be missed.

The 7"s for "Fade to Grey" and "Visage" are not really versions but edits - simply chopping off intros and fading out a bit earlier, otherwise not much difference in overall sound. "Tar" and "Mind of a Toy", on the other hand, are quite distinct, the first being an original mix and the second more than a minute shorter. That's what I call difference :D So I included them on CD 2.

Ronny track is Visage in all but name. Ure and Egan producing, Egan, Formula and Adamson performing + Ronny herself being a part of Steve Strange entourage and a face on the scene. Besides, why the hell not :D

As for unreleased stuff, I'd love to hear the "Fade to Grey" original backing track - "Toot City". But does it even exist? Not sure at all. haven't read anything about the other unused stuff anywhere so I assume the archives are clear.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 am

In some ways Shock does belong here – as well as Frequency 7 Rusty put out a download of remixes of R.E.R.B. a few years ago. (And of course if you didn’t know the title comes from the initials of Rusty Egan and Richard Burgess).
Wasn’t there an unreleased duet between Steve Strange and Ronny? I’ve always thought of the Ronny singles as being part of the Visage family; even aside from the crossover personnel they shared an aesthetic with the 1980/1 Visage releases.
Rusty is quite active on Twitter, it may be worth asking him some questions on there.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations