Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Boxcar - New remixes/remasters!

Boxcar - New remixes/remasters!

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:34 am

Anyone into Australian electronic/synthpop band Boxcar ("Freemason (You Broke The Promise)", "Insect", "Gas Stop (Who Do You Think You Are)", "Hit & Run" etc.) may be interested to know David Smith has resurrected the band and released new remix singles for "Insect" in December and "Hit & Run" in March. They are both available as digital downloads on the usual online retailers but I found FLAC options on 7digital and Tidal and WAV/AIFF options at Junodownload and Beatport (though I didn't see "Hit & Run" on Beatport).

The new mixes are excellent, as all of their previous output has been from the late 80's through the mid-90's. Plus each release includes gorgeously remastered versions of the original versions! I bought the AIFF formats from Junodownload and am loving 'em.

I just happened to check their website (boxcar.com.au) this morning and, while it's being updated soon, there WAS an add for the new singles. Yay, it's a good day!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: Boxcar - New remixes/remasters!

Postby negative1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:36 am

Fred Taghon wrote:
The new mixes are excellent, as all of their previous output has been from the late 80's through the mid-90's. Plus each release includes gorgeously remastered versions of the original versions! I bought the AIFF formats from Junodownload and am loving 'em.

thanks for the heads up.

i'm a huge fan of the band, and was looking forward to these.

my opinions:
-------------------------------------
insect - the new mixes are terrible, the first mix is way too short, and the 2 dubs don't add anything to the song at all.
the original mixes are the best, so avoid the new ones.
------------
1 Insect (Max Wolf vs. Boxcar Remix) 4:13 - starts off decent, but is way too short to improve on
3 Insect (Tunnel Signs Classic Bass Dub) 6:46 - boring instrumental
4 Insect (Tunnel Signs & Johannes Klingebiel Dub) 6:25 - boring dub

hit and run - not a very good single to begin with, and the house mixes aren't that great either.

the new mixes are also very tired sounding, and again just basic house sounding mixes compared to the great original mixes by robert racic:
---------------------------
1 Hit & Run (Marc Tasio Extended Remix) 7:13 - another slow house mix
2 Hit & Run (Nonion Breed Remix) 5:38 - very slow house mix, with some electro bleeps added to it
5 Hit & Run (Marc Tasio Radio Edit) 3:37 - short version of the midtempo mix, actually ok because its so short
6 Hit & Run (Boxcar vs. Marc Tasio Back2Detroit Dub) 6:53 - midtempo instrumental dub

so all in all, no improvements, and worse sounding remixes

avoid the new ones, and stick with the originals.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

negative1 wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:

thanks for the heads up.

i'm a huge fan of the band, and was looking forward to these.

my opinions:
-------------------------------------
insect - the new mixes are terrible, the first mix is way too short, and the 2 dubs don't add anything to the song at all.
the original mixes are the best, so avoid the new ones.
------------
1 Insect (Max Wolf vs. Boxcar Remix) 4:13 - starts off decent, but is way too short to improve on
3 Insect (Tunnel Signs Classic Bass Dub) 6:46 - boring instrumental
4 Insect (Tunnel Signs & Johannes Klingebiel Dub) 6:25 - boring dub

hit and run - not a very good single to begin with, and the house mixes aren't that great either.

the new mixes are also very tired sounding, and again just basic house sounding mixes compared to the great original mixes by robert racic:
---------------------------
1 Hit & Run (Marc Tasio Extended Remix) 7:13 - another slow house mix
2 Hit & Run (Nonion Breed Remix) 5:38 - very slow house mix, with some electro bleeps added to it
5 Hit & Run (Marc Tasio Radio Edit) 3:37 - short version of the midtempo mix, actually ok because its so short
6 Hit & Run (Boxcar vs. Marc Tasio Back2Detroit Dub) 6:53 - midtempo instrumental dub

so all in all, no improvements, and worse sounding remixes

avoid the new ones, and stick with the originals.

later

I had a MUCH different reaction to the new remixes, but I respect your opinion. I still definitely prefer the original versions and their 80's/90's remixes but as someone who also enjoys current dance/house, I really dig the new mixes. But yes, they may be too "housey" for some.

It's funny you didn't like the original "Hit & Run" - it's actually one of my favorite Boxcar tracks hehe.

I've listened to the remasters of the original mixes included on these new digital downloads and compared them to the '89-'92 CD's. While the original CD's still have amazing production, the new remasters somehow breathe fresh life into those tracks - they just sound amazing to my ears.

Boxcar's SoundCloud page https://soundcloud.com/box-car has an unreleased 1990/91 12" Version (6:57) of the "Vertigo" title track which is excellent. Hoping it will be given an official release of some kind in the future.

I check the Boxcar website every few months and a while back he was talking about remastering the "Vertigo" and "Algorhythm" albums and offering deluxe versions. If the remasters of the original "Insect" and "Hit & Run" mixes are any indication, I will happily pick up the remastered albums if/when they materialize.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 pm

The soundcloud page is awesome, there's tons of great stuff that i never heard about there.

thanks for checking up on them.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Never heard of them but glad to check them out. I don't pay for DLs or SC, but will find them free somewhere. Glad to be introduced to a band I've never heard of!
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Boxcar released new 2018 remixes of "Comet" on June 1st. You can get them here in WAV/AIFF/FLAC/MP3:
https://www.junodownload.com/products/b ... 777804-02/

I continue to really enjoy the new remixes offered up in these Boxcar digital EP's, and the classic extended version (superbly remastered) once again sounds incredible. Of the three new remixes of "Comet", I'd have to say the Valley Forge Rework is my favorite. The Tronik Youth Remix is quite good as well but the Valley Forge Rework really hit the mark for me. Lots of the original production elements integrated nicely with the new stuff. The Francis Xavier Remix is decent, and will likely grow on me, but it's a bit more on the trance-y side. Three distinctly different takes on what was originally just a really cool B-Side track in 1988.

Loving so much newly remixed (and remastered) stuff from Boxcar in such a short span of time! With all the activity, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Vertigo" and/or "Revision" finally appear in their long-promised deluxe versions!?!?
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby surreal_eyed » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm watching for those Deluxe Editions too.
surreal_eyed
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:Boxcar released new 2018 remixes of "Comet" on June 1st. You can get them here in WAV/AIFF/FLAC/MP3:
https://www.junodownload.com/products/b ... 777804-02/

I continue to really enjoy the new remixes offered up in these Boxcar digital EP's, and the classic extended version (superbly remastered) once again sounds incredible. Of the three new remixes of "Comet", I'd have to say the Valley Forge Rework is my favorite. The Tronik Youth Remix is quite good as well but the Valley Forge Rework really hit the mark for me. Lots of the original production elements integrated nicely with the new stuff. The Francis Xavier Remix is decent, and will likely grow on me, but it's a bit more on the trance-y side. Three distinctly different takes on what was originally just a really cool B-Side track in 1988.

Loving so much newly remixed (and remastered) stuff from Boxcar in such a short span of time! With all the activity, I wouldn't be surprised to see "Vertigo" and/or "Revision" finally appear in their long-promised deluxe versions!?!?

Again, another release worth skipping. Comet wasn't that great originally, and now more instrumental remixes?

maybe if they redid boxcar, that would be a lot more interesting.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby boxcar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi Dave from Boxcar here, thanks Fred Taghon, means a lot to have a genuine supporter here.
boxcar
Running Up That Hill

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations