Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

King "Remixes & Rarities" 2 CD

Re: King "Remixes & Rarities" 2 CD

Postby omar » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Mine is on the way thru Amazon, fingers crossed. Although it doesn't it mean anything I've noticed that all the Remixes & Rarities titles from Cherry Red have so far been quite good. I have the Paul Young,Bucks Fizz and A Flock Of Seagulls sets.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:51 am

I just received mine. I'm a few tracks in and it sounds OK so far, but I'm not going to be the best resource on sound because my only way of listening is to add the discs to iTunes and then play them from my iPhone either in my car or with earbuds. The live tracks do not sound great, but that could be the source material. I assume they were b-sides or something and in general, those types of live recordings are always a mixed bag (as opposed to something created especially for a live album). The vocals are very muffled/distorted on those tracks. Personally, I don't care about live tracks or demos.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Received mine today too. The 12" versions sound quite good. Love & Pride (Ext. Mix) is exactly the same as the USA Summer Mix. The live tracks didn't really care for. A couple of screw ups on the 7' versions... Won't You Hold Hold My Hand Now is not the Single Remix, it's the album version. Alone Without You (US Edit) is in fact the standard album version as well. The US edit omits the Na-na-na part at the beginning. Other than that the remastering sounds ok.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 am

Wow three errors is shocking.
Is the extended available on CD?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 am

humanracer wrote:Wow three errors is shocking.
Is the extended available on CD?

I think that we can expect that most Cherry Red releases are not 100% error free.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:03 am

Actually what IS the difference between the L&L Extended Mix and Summer Mix. They both sound the same no matter where I look?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:09 am

omar wrote:Received mine today too. The 12" versions sound quite good. Love & Pride (Ext. Mix) is exactly the same as the USA Summer Mix. The live tracks didn't really care for. A couple of screw ups on the 7' versions... Won't You Hold Hold My Hand Now is not the Single Remix, it's the album version. Alone Without You (US Edit) is in fact the standard album version as well. The US edit omits the Na-na-na part at the beginning. Other than that the remastering sounds ok.

I have looked at discogs and all the timings for 7" say 3:36. The track on the CD (don't have it yet)is supposed to be 3:36?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm

humanracer wrote:
omar wrote:Received mine today too. The 12" versions sound quite good. Love & Pride (Ext. Mix) is exactly the same as the USA Summer Mix. The live tracks didn't really care for. A couple of screw ups on the 7' versions... Won't You Hold Hold My Hand Now is not the Single Remix, it's the album version. Alone Without You (US Edit) is in fact the standard album version as well. The US edit omits the Na-na-na part at the beginning. Other than that the remastering sounds ok.

I have looked at discogs and all the timings for 7" say 3:36. The track on the CD (don't have it yet)is supposed to be 3:36?

Love & Pride (Ext. Mix) and (USA Summer Mix) are the same track, just different titles in various countries. Alone Without You (US Edit) is wrongly titled, it's the standard album mix timing in at 3:38 min. on my computer. Here's the actual US Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU0PB1AEpiE. Furthermore i created my own US Edit using Audacity (Fairly easy).
omar
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:06 pm

who else has this by now? what do you think?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby blaaah » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Its worth getting.
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Got mine today (ordered from Germany and it took over a month). Going to rip it then give it a list.

Just listened to my 1993 CD pressing of Steps in Time and realised they used the single mix of WYHMHN instead of the album version.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

To me my ears, the live tracks and the "85 reasons" mix of WYHMHN are from vinyl but the rip of the latter sounds a lot better than the one shared on here not long ago. The Alone US remix 12" sounds like it comes from the masters but can't be sure.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Rubellan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:09 pm

I just had a chance to review several of the rare or first time on CD tracks from this collection to determine the sources. Here are my findings. I can say with certainty the following tracks are definitely vinyl sourced:

Alone Without You - Club mix, street mix, instru nana mental mix
Won't You Hold My Hand Now - 85 reasons to hold hands mix, dub mix

The one live track I reviewed is from a master tape source. I understand why some people may assume it was from vinyl because all of those live tracks are recorded rather rough with some inherent distortions.

So it again looks like masters for foreign pressings were not sourced. Do I think they are lost? No, I think they are safe and sound in the Sony USA archive and they didn't want to make the effort/expense to source them. Shocking, I know...
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby elevatorman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 pm

So I finally got around to ordering this. Got it today and gave it a listen. As others have said, I could have done without the live tracks. The different versions of Alone Without You were done at slightly different pitches. Again, not sure if that's how the source material was. The 85 Reasons to Hold Your Hand mix sounded a bit distorted. My vinyl rip sounded a little better IMO.

Other than that my biggest complaint was the liner notes. There were a couple of pictures I hadn't seen before so that's cool. The cover art looked rather lame. Almost as if a beginner using Photoshop had done it. Also, they provide lyrics to just 5 of the songs and not all of them. That was about it other than a more in depth discography. Would have liked some insight into the songs or mixes, why some were used, why some weren't, how some b-sides ended where they did...stuff like that.

Glad I got it but left me wanting more.
elevatorman
Take On Me

Postby xymox970 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:46 am

Just listening to this compilation.....finally.....

Cant believe such an excellent track like "Fools" has not been released on CD before, other than on the US re-release
and on several cassette album versions from 1984.....
xymox970
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations