Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Anyone nab the 2018 PSB reissues yet?

Anyone nab the 2018 PSB reissues yet?

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:17 pm

Haven't heard a single peep about the 2018 reissues of Pet Shop Boys' "Please", "Actually" and "Introspective" albums. I bought the 2001 versions and felt the album (CD1) remasters of each set were very flat sounding with no clear high end like all the original CD releases had. I'm curious if the 2018 remasters are an improvement???
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: Anyone nab the 2018 PSB reissues yet?

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:24 pm

...also, is the speed of the "Heart (Disco Mix)" on CD2 of "Actually" corrected? On the 2001 release it was much slower than the original CD-Single release (unless THAT version was too fast).
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:35 pm

I got Please & Actually. They seem slightly better than the previous ones, not as loud. Will check out Heart (Disco Mix) again.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 am

omar wrote:I got Please & Actually. They seem slightly better than the previous ones, not as loud. Will check out Heart (Disco Mix) again.

I got Please too. So far, but I'm going to get more probably.

My question is about Please: On disc 2. track 4 (Opportunities (Let's Make Lot's Of Money) 12 Inch Mix) on my CD it seems that the track is skipping on 1:42min and 1:57 min.

Is this also on the 12" vinyl?
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Tue May 01, 2018 8:32 am

ZippY wrote:
omar wrote:I got Please & Actually. They seem slightly better than the previous ones, not as loud. Will check out Heart (Disco Mix) again.

I got Please too. So far, but I'm going to get more probably.

My question is about Please: On disc 2. track 4 (Opportunities (Let's Make Lot's Of Money) 12 Inch Mix) on my CD it seems that the track is skipping on 1:42min and 1:57 min.

Is this also on the 12" vinyl?

skipping occurs on the 2001 version of Please as well, I still have it. Maybe a mastering fault?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 am

I am so tempted to buy these but since I have the original ones from 2001, I feel like I am wasting my money. Amazon is confusing because they always combined reviews from the past with new similar releases. I did see a few comments on the 2018 vs. 2001 versions. One says it's exactly the same, don't waste your money. The other says the audio as loud and not as harsh. Quite conflicting there. There was also a mention of a 30 something page booklet that comes with the 2018 reissues. I have my 2001 cd's stored away so I don't remember if they had a booklet that thick. That would be one incentive for me to buy it. I wish they added some new tracks to the 2018 reissues.

What would have been really cool is for them to release a cd singles box set of "Please", "Actually" and "Introspective" and include all the various mixes of each song and their respective b-sides. "Please" would have been the most amazing since there wasn't any cd singles released for that album.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Tue May 01, 2018 11:29 am

PSBs hinted on Facebook a while back that there are more reissues on the way. Apart from the album remasters who knows maybe a rarities compilation or a 12" collection. A cd singles boxset covering the 80s would be perfect but there's perhaps too much material, imagine all the Bobby Orlando stuff as well.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:11 pm

There was also a mention of a 30 something page booklet that comes with the 2018 reissues. I have my 2001 cd's stored away so I don't remember if they had a booklet that thick.

Yep, they all did come with the thick booklets, with them talking about the tracks and with lyrics. It was a main selling feature.

I'm just going to grab the FLACs, instead of buying them again, unless I see them for <$10, which isn't likely.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:01 am

Funny is if they had stuck in 2 or 3 bonus tracks that were not on the originally release, I probably would buy it. obs, are there a lot more pictures in the booklets than the original release or is it mostly text?
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 pm

I find it really strange that they let Tim Young remaster these again after the hatchet job he did originally. I suppose when the lead singer is telling people not to buy these again i think that explains it all.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 pm

Sean wrote:Funny is if they had stuck in 2 or 3 bonus tracks that were not on the originally release, I probably would buy it. obs, are there a lot more pictures in the booklets than the original release or is it mostly text?

The only two originals I have on CD are Disco and Introspective, which have piss-poor booklets, so I can't really compare, but I would estimate that the remastered booklets are 66% text.

One track I wish were on the remasters is "In the Night" extended, so I can make my own version of Disco remastered.

edit// Sorry, I have Very Relentless, as well as Relentless by itself, original. Not much to speak of in regards to booklets here, either. Two of the photos used in the original are not in the remastered booklet. The centrefold in the original is featured as the remastered booklet cover, but mirrored.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Thanks obs.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:49 am

obs wrote:
Sean wrote:Funny is if they had stuck in 2 or 3 bonus tracks that were not on the originally release, I probably would buy it. obs, are there a lot more pictures in the booklets than the original release or is it mostly text?

One track I wish were on the remasters is "In the Night" extended, so I can make my own version of Disco remastered.

You can find a remastered version of In the Night" extended on this https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-E ... ase/280924 Just out of curiosity where have you found remastered versions of the Latin Rascals version of Opportunities, the Shep Pettibone's Mastermix of Love Comes Quickly and the Shep Pettibone's Disco mix of West End Girls ?
moni
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks. I was hoping for consistent (re)mastering of all the tracks.

I would use my own preferred versions of the three tracks you mentioned. So it would be Disco, but not the same Disco :mrgreen: . I prefer the original Opportunities, and I don't care for the "West End Girls" shouting at the beginning. It kind of drags on for too long, too. I don't like Love Comes Quickly enough to be too fussy about the mix. Basically, Please 2CD has everything I need except for In the Night extended.

Funny, West End Girls just started playing on the radio :o .
obs
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations