Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results


Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.


If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October


Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby Rubellan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:09 am

It was brought to my attention that Cherry Red are releasing a "Complete Recordings" CD by Berlin Blondes in October. I did have this confirmed, though I have no idea what the source material is or how "Complete" it really is. I will be devastated if they f*ck this one up because I absolutely love this album. It is something I was contemplating requesting to license in the future, but since it's so obscure I was really concerned about sales potential. So I will be happy that CR decided to run with it as long as it's done properly.

Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:59 am
Location:

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:27 am

I waited from 1980 until 1997 to find this album! I then waited until 2009 to finally play/remaster it and the "Framework" 12" I bought in the same store and made a CD of it. It's pretty Sparks influenced, but also redolent of the Numan aesthetic of the time. I recently found the "Science" and "Marseilles" 7" singles and was pondering one of the inevitable remasters to my own line of discs that need to happen after numerous years. Even my hobbyist label falls prey to this trend as new sounds are unearthed. Now I will hold off and see what Cherry Red will do. Hopefully, it will be perfect. But I will buy it in any case since it will be glass mastered. That still counts for a lot by me.
http://postpunkmonk.wordpress.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
User avatar
postpunkmonk
Take On Me
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 am
Location: NC | USA

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 am

yippee another one off the list lets hope CR does it credit like some of the better ones they have done eg kissing the pink

work ...work...framework
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:22 pm
Location:

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby omar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:42 am

And here's the track list according to CR's website. Released Oct. 9th, and there's no mention of how or who remastered this.

BERLIN BLONDES: ORIGINAL ALBUM

1. FRAMEWORK
2. ASTRO
3. SCIENCE
4. ROMANCE
5. TRAIL TO ISTANBUL
6. SECRET DAYS
7. MANNEQUIN
8. NEON PROBE
9. ZERO SONG

BONUS TRACKS

10.FRAMEWORK (7″ REMIX)
11.FRAMEWORK (12″ REMIX)
12.ZERO SONG (INSTRUMENTAL)
13.SCIENCE (7″ MIX)
14.MANIKIN (MANNEQUIN INSTRUMENTAL)
15.MARSEILLE
16.THE POET
17.SCIENCE (AUSTRALIAN 7” MIX)
omar
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:24 am

Yow! Can't argue with that track listing! I didn't know about the Oz mix of "Science." Hopefully the mastering will be up to snuff.
http://postpunkmonk.wordpress.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
User avatar
postpunkmonk
Take On Me
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 am
Location: NC | USA

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:03 am

I'm playing my copy now and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm not overly familiar with the album but I'm loving it so far.
User avatar
BigManRestless
Personal Jesus
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:45 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby Rubellan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:30 am

BigManRestless wrote:I'm playing my copy now and it sounds pretty good to me. I'm not overly familiar with the album but I'm loving it so far.


I had it confirmed that all but two songs are from masters. I have my copy ordered but I'm sure it will be a little time before I get my hands on it and can verify if it's over-compressed or not, or how it sounds overall. One of my all time favorite albums.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:59 am
Location:

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby omar » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:10 am

I was waiting for you to get yours Scott and post some opinions and then i'd perhaps order it.
omar
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:51 am
Location: USA

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby Rubellan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:15 pm

omar wrote:I was waiting for you to get yours Scott and post some opinions and then i'd perhaps order it.


I just got the CD. I gave it a quick scan and here's the differences I noticed:

Track 4 - Romance: There's a very quiet part that opens the song on the vinyl LP, very low but it almost sounds like a machine starting up in the distance before the low-end sound that kicks the song off. That parts is absent, approximately 3 seconds.

Track 5 - Trail to Istanbul: Right at the end on the LP, there are 3 loud drum hits and the song continues with a very gradual synth fade. On the CD the song ends with the 3 drum hits, cutting the last 20 seconds of the fade off.

Track 6 - Secret Days: There's a brief sort of chirp sound that opens the song right before the drums start. That first second is missing from the CD and it starts right at the drum sound.

Track 13 - Science (7" mix): The version on the CD is not the actual UK 7" version, it is the Aussie single version with a small edit towards the end. It's identical to track 17 on the CD (which is correctly listed as the Aussie single mix), aside from the aforementioned slight edit. The original UK 7" version has more in common with the LP version.

I was pleased to see the CD is very dynamic, no over-compression, which was a big concern of mine. Aside from the few issues mentioned above, I wouldn't suggest anyone avoid the release. Just be aware that it is slightly different than the LP. Though I haven't played the CD in full yet, the general sound quality is very good.

UPDATE: There is a note in the back of the booklet stating the cutting of the last 20 seconds of Track 5 was intentional. Being a purist, I disagree with the decision but what can you do.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:59 am
Location:

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 am

Rubellan wrote:
omar wrote:I was waiting for you to get yours Scott and post some opinions and then i'd perhaps order it.


I just got the CD. I gave it a quick scan and here's the differences I noticed:

Track 4 - Romance: There's a very quiet part that opens the song on the vinyl LP, very low but it almost sounds like a machine starting up in the distance before the low-end sound that kicks the song off. That parts is absent, approximately 3 seconds.

Track 5 - Trail to Istanbul: Right at the end on the LP, there are 3 loud drum hits and the song continues with a very gradual synth fade. On the CD the song ends with the 3 drum hits, cutting the last 20 seconds of the fade off.

Track 6 - Secret Days: There's a brief sort of chirp sound that opens the song right before the drums start. That first second is missing from the CD and it starts right at the drum sound.

Track 13 - Science (7" mix): The version on the CD is not the actual UK 7" version, it is the Aussie single version with a small edit towards the end. It's identical to track 17 on the CD (which is correctly listed as the Aussie single mix), aside from the aforementioned slight edit. The original UK 7" version has more in common with the LP version.

I was pleased to see the CD is very dynamic, no over-compression, which was a big concern of mine. Aside from the few issues mentioned above, I wouldn't suggest anyone avoid the release. Just be aware that it is slightly different than the LP. Though I haven't played the CD in full yet, the general sound quality is very good.

UPDATE: There is a note in the back of the booklet stating the cutting of the last 20 seconds of Track 5 was intentional. Being a purist, I disagree with the decision but what can you do.


So do you think that the master tapes were used or is this a vinyl rip. Because fading out the last 20 seconds of a track sure points to that technique.
http://postpunkmonk.wordpress.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
User avatar
postpunkmonk
Take On Me
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 am
Location: NC | USA

Re: Berlin Blondes "Complete Recordings" in October

Postby Rubellan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 am

postpunkmonk wrote:So do you think that the master tapes were used or is this a vinyl rip. Because fading out the last 20 seconds of a track sure points to that technique.


I had it confirmed that masters were used for everything other than tracks 15 and 16, since they were from an indie label and couldn't be located. Everything else is from masters. I checked for all the signs, and the project manager did confirm all the EMI/Warner masters were available. I equate the slight lopping off of intros on Tracks 4 and 6 to unfamiliarity or carelessness, but the truncated Track 5 outro is explained on the last page of the book, which I'm still not in agreement with.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:59 am
Location:


Return to News, Reissues & Compilations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests