Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Depeche Mode 12" Singles Collection vinyl

Depeche Mode 12" Singles Collection vinyl

Postby obs » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:12 am

Has this been mentioned here?

I just saw these listed at Amazon. Seems they're a series of vinyl boxsets compiling the 12" singles for each album. First two are coming out August 31. $60+ CAD :-o or $54 USD, even more :-o

Speak and Spell
- includes a facsimile reproduction of the rare Flexi Disc “Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead” b/w “King of the Flies” (the Fad Gadget track as on the original release)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DQ963QD/

A Broken Frame
- original single poster reproduction (never heard/seen this before)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DQ31ZY6/

I did post in these forums years ago that they should reissue the 12"es instead of reissuing the albums again and again and again :-) .

It would be cool if the outer jacket was the 12" artwork, and the inner was the 7" artwork. It's a shame they didn't include the tracks from the 7"es on these. I guess it would be too much, depending on how they plan on doing future boxsets. (eg. Will they combine the 12" + L12" on a single vinyl?)
obs
Room at the Top

Re: Depeche Mode 12" Singles Collection vinyl

Postby negative1 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:22 pm

obs wrote:Has this been mentioned here?

I just saw these listed at Amazon. Seems they're a series of vinyl boxsets compiling the 12" singles for each album. First two are coming out August 31. $60+ CAD :-o or $54 USD, even more :-o

Speak and Spell
- includes a facsimile reproduction of the rare Flexi Disc “Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead” b/w “King of the Flies” (the Fad Gadget track as on the original release)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DQ963QD/

A Broken Frame
- original single poster reproduction (never heard/seen this before)
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07DQ31ZY6/

I did post in these forums years ago that they should reissue the 12"es instead of reissuing the albums again and again and again :-) .

It would be cool if the outer jacket was the 12" artwork, and the inner was the 7" artwork. It's a shame they didn't include the tracks from the 7"es on these. I guess it would be too much, depending on how they plan on doing future boxsets. (eg. Will they combine the 12" + L12" on a single vinyl?)

the problem with this is 'dreaming of me', was never a 12 inch (even though there's an unreleased extended mix).

so you're not really getting the real 12 inches, also some had alternate artwork for different regions, etc.

they're pricey, so i'll just wait until they go on sale someday.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Jim2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am

I just opened my box sets.

The Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead fexi disc is thicker than the original version.
The posters, although folded in half, cry out to be framed. I will look into doing this.
The labels are reproduced like the originals except on the Leave In Silence 12", where the red ink for the titles on the labels is glaringly too bright to read.
I cannot take them home to play them until tomorrow (street date), but I'm sure they will sound wonderful.

I will purchase every one of these box sets, even though I own every original Depeche Mode 12 inch, but will stop listening to them with the Exciter release.

obs, if these sell enough copies, I'm sure there will be a 7" version forthcoming.

This is my crack.
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Postby obs » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 am

Scans up at Discogs already.
https://www.discogs.com/release/12459513
https://www.discogs.com/release/12459327

Nice work on making them look like the originals. Is the "Leave in Silence" jacket textured?

Yeah, the posters are cool. They should make all those promo posters available individually. I would pick up some of them, especially one for Black Celebration. Probably one from the Construction Time Again era, as well. One thing I regret was not having bought a UK or DE vinyl pressing of Construction Time. I love the black, with yellow icon. Cheapshit Canadian vinyl, of course, only had a black and white inner sleeve.

I'm surprised they didn't reprint all the 12" promo posters and included one at random :-D .

EDIT// "Leave in Silence" IS textured. There are unboxing videos of each set on YouTube. Too lazy to find the links again, but just search for Depeche Singles unboxing and they should come up. They were uploaded by the official DM account.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:00 am

They continued with a few more boxsets in between, for Construction time again,
and Some Great Reward...

Now they are up to Black Celebration and Music for the Masses:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/ ... -12-boxes/

NEWS
Depeche Mode / Black Celebration & Music for the Masses 12″ boxes
April 3, 2019 by Paul Sinclairtags: 1980s, Depeche Mode

More 12″ box sets • Seven records in ‘Masses’, five in ‘Black Celebration’.

Depeche Mode continue with their 12-inch vinyl box set reissue campaign with packages around the singles pulled from their fifth and six albums Black Celebration and Music For The Masses.

Black Celebration was issued in March 1986 and with the band apparently bored of creating hit singles, saw a move into more gloomy atmospheric soundscapes. The three singles (‘Stripped’, ‘A Question of Lust’ & ‘A Question of Time’) didn’t reward them with any top ten hits in Britain, the album did peak at number four in the UK charts – a new high.

Music For The Masses (it’s title deliberately tongue-in-cheek) was issued in 1987 and co-produced by Dave Bascombe (best known at that point for his work with Tears For Fears). Less dense than it’s predecessor, this album managed to deliver some classic singles in (particularly in ‘Strangelove’ and ‘Never Let Me Down Again’) even if, again, they weren’t massive commercial successes at the time. Music For The Masses is a personal favourite for this writer – managing to be intimate, cinematic, and industrial all at the same time – and this album and the 101 tour very much laid the groundwork for the next album Violator which of course was massive, both creatively and commercially.

Black Celebration: The 12″ Singles features FIVE ‘maxi singles’ on vinyl; one for ‘Stripped’ (five tracks, 25 minutes of music), two for ‘A Question of Lust’ and two for ‘A Question of Time.’ The second 12-inch was actually a cassette-only release in the UK. This box also comes with a poster.

Music For The Masses: The 12″ Singles breaks new ground by including SEVEN 12-inch singles; two for each of the first three singles and one for slightly forgotten fourth single ‘Little 15’. It too includes a poster.

===
Black Celebration: The 12″ Singles
Stripped
A1 Stripped (Highland Mix)
A2 But Not Tonight (Extended Remix)
B1 Breathing In Fumes
B2 Fly On The Windscreen (Quiet Mix)
B3 Black Day

A Question of Lust #1
A1 A Question Of Lust
A2 Christmas Island (Extended)
B1 People Are People (Live)
B2 It Doesn’t Matter Two (Instrumental)
B3 A Question Of Lust (Minimal)

A Question of Lust #2
A1 A Question Of Lust
A2 Christmas Island
B1 If You Want (Live)
B2 Shame (Live)
B3 Blasphemous Rumours (Live)

A Question of Time # 1
A Question Of Time (Extended Remix)
B1 Black Celebration (Live)
B2 Something To Do (Live)Mixed By – Gareth Jones
B3 Stripped (Live)Mixed By – Gareth Jones

A Question of Time #2
A Question Of Time (New Town Mix) 6:50
A2A Question Of Time (Live Remix) 4:21
B1 Black Celebration (Black Tulip Mix) 6:36
B2 More Than A Party (Live Remix)Remix 5:12

Music For The Masses: The 12″ Singles
Strangelove #1
A Strangelove (Maxi-Mix)
B1 Strangelove (Midi-Mix)
B2 Fpmip

Strangelove #2
A1 Strangelove (Blind Mix)
A2 Pimpf
B1 Strangelove (Pain Mix)
B2 Agent Orange

Never Let Me Down Again #1
A Never Let Me Down Again (Split Mix)
B1 Pleasure, Little Treasure (Glitter Mix)
B2 Never Let Me Down Again (Aggro Mix)

Never Let Me Down Again #2
A Never Let Me Down Again (Tsangarides Mix)
B1 Pleasure, Little Treasure (Join Mix)
B2To Have And To Hold (Spanish Taster)

Behind The Wheel #1
A Behind The Wheel (Remixed By Shep Pettibone)
B Route 66 (Remixed By The Beatmasters)

Behind The Wheel #2
A Behind The Wheel (Beatmasters Mix)
B Route 66 (Casualty Mix)

Little 15
A Little 15
B1 Stjarna
B2 Sonata Nº 14 In C#M “Moonlight Sonata”
===============

They did not do Shake the disease, or fly on the windscreen though.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:41 pm

Oh yeah, no Shake or Heart, yet they included Balance with the Construction Time set. They could have done an interim boxset, seeing as there were four 12"es. Maybe they'll do a Singles 81-85 box, double vinyl, with the four 12"es, and add the foil poster that was included with the Intercord release.

The poster for Strangelove is garbage.

And Corbijn ruined the original icons. He should stick to video work, and leave design to people who don't churn out rotten crap.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 am

obs wrote:And Corbijn ruined the original icons. He should stick to video work, and leave design to people who don't churn out rotten crap.

For a graphic designer, Anton Corbijn sure is a great photographer/director!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Jim2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am

I would like to think that there will be two additional box sets of "orphaned" 12 inch singles that would be released after they've done all the ones from their albums.

Here's what I think would be left (apologies if I missed something)

Shake The Disease (12Bong8)
Shake The Disease (L12Bong8)
It's Called A Heart (12Bong9)
It's Called A Heart (Extended) (L12Bong9)
Everything Counts, Nothing, Sacred, A Question Of Lust (12Bong16)
Remixes Of Everything Counts, Nothing And Strangelove (12Bong16)

Only When I Lose Myself (12Bong29)
Only When I Lose Myself (L12Bong29)
Enjoy The Silence···04 (12Bong34)
Enjoy The Silence···04 (L12Bong34)
Enjoy The Silence···04 (XL12Bong34)
Personal Jesus 2011 (12BONG43)

I will not buy any box sets after Exciter, although I already own far too many different copies of I Feel Loved

I Feel Loved - Mute (12BONG31)
I Feel Loved - Mute (L12BONG31)
I Feel Loved - Mute (P12BONG31) PROMO
I Feel Loved - Mute (PL12BONG31)PROMO
I Feel Loved - Reprise (9 42398-0) 2x12" Single
I Feel Loved - Reprise (PRO-A-100714-A) PROMO
I Feel Loved - Reprise (PRO-A-100720-A) PROMO
"Things went fine, up until the start of school, the world was still okay." -Nina Hagen
Jim2
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:23 am

obs wrote:Oh yeah, no Shake or Heart, yet they included Balance with the Construction Time set. They could have done an interim boxset, seeing as there were four 12"es. Maybe they'll do a Singles 81-85 box, double vinyl, with the four 12"es, and add the foil poster that was included with the Intercord release.

The poster for Strangelove is garbage.

And Corbijn ruined the original icons. He should stick to video work, and leave design to people who don't churn out rotten crap.

with all the complaints about prices, it would have gotten even higher.

get the balance right was from that era. And these 2 tracks and b-sides were just for the greatest
hits compilations.

although fly on the windscreen did make it onto the album.

they can put whatever they want on these boxsets, and they will still sell. they're for collectors and completists only.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby crystal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 am

negative1 wrote:get the balance right was from that era. And these 2 tracks and b-sides were just for the greatest
hits compilations.

Well, the 'It's called a heart' single was recorded around July 85 + they started recording 'Black celebration' in November 85. So, the time frame is pretty close + surely more of the era than 'Get the balance right' which was recorded in late 82 + was always seen and recorded as a one-off single.

Although, obviously they felt releasing a boxset with just 2 singles from that particular album, the content was a bit thin, that is why it is included. Musically it doesn't make much sense.
But totally agree with you, it doesn't really matter what they include, it will be bought anyway at almost whatever price :D And they can always rerelease in reshuffled form in 5 years and cash in again.

@Jim2 there was a 12" for 'Martyr' as well [Mute / 12Bong39] - though some may argue that the song is better forgotten anyway...
crystal
Personal Jesus

Postby Spudboy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:46 pm

I don't know.... I was happy when these all came out in CD box sets some 15 years ago.
Still looking for my girl with auburn hair and tawny eyes...
Spudboy
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Spudboy wrote:I don't know.... I was happy when these all came out in CD box sets some 15 years ago.

yes, but there were a lot of promo mixes on cd and vinyl that were left off, and still aren't out yet.
some came out digitally with the other 2 remix collections though.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby ZippY » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:33 am

Still hoping/waiting for a "box 7" of CD singles. The Exciter-period was cut-off after it's first single (Dream On) at the end of box 6.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby Jim2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:16 am

crystal wrote:@Jim2 there was a 12" for 'Martyr' as well [Mute / 12Bong39] - though some may argue that the song is better forgotten anyway...

I did say "(apologies if I missed something)" and I agree, that Martyr is not memorable.
Jim2
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations