Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Re-Flex "The Politics Of Dancing" 2 CD Expanded Re-Issue

Re-Flex "The Politics Of Dancing" 2 CD Expanded Re-Issue

Postby omar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:58 pm

Released Nov. 30th on Cherry Red. Here's the track list:

DISC ONE
1. PRAYING TO THE BEAT
2. HITLINE
3. HURT
4. COULDN’T STAND A DAY
5. THE POLITICS OF DANCING
6. SOMETHING ABOUT YOU
7. POINTLESS
8. JUNGLE
9. SENSITIVE
10.KEEP IN TOUCH

BONUS TRACKS
11.CRUEL WORLD (12” EXTENDED VERSION)
12.THE POLITICS OF DANCING (7” VERSION)
13.CRUEL WORLD (7” SPANISH VERSION)

DISC TWO
1. FLEX-IT (B SIDE OF US 12” VERSION)
2. THE POLITICS OF DANCING (U.S. 7” SINGLE VERSION)
3. FLEX-IT (U.S. 7” SINGLE)
4. HITLINE (12” EXTENDED MIX)
5. HURT (U.S. 7” VERSION)
6. HURT (U.S. 12” PROMO RUBBER DUBBER MIX)
7. HURT (U.S. 12” PROMO EMOTIONAL JOHN LUONGO RE-MIX)
8. HURT (EMOTIONAL PETE SMITH RE-MIX)
9. CUT IT
10.PRAYING TO THE BEAT (12” EXTENDED VERSION)
11.CUT IT (12” EXTENDED VERSION)
12.WHAT YOU DESERVE (7” SINGLE VERSION)
Last edited by omar on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: Re-Flex "The Politics Of Dancing" 2CD Expanded Re-Issue

Postby Bellenger1981 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:04 pm

The track listing looks just about perfect, but it's missing the U.S. 12" mix of "The Politics of Dancing", unfortunately.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Re: Re-Flex "The Politics Of Dancing" 2CD Expanded Re-Issue

Postby omar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Jungle (12") is also missing. I never got the Re-flex boxset that was put out through their website some years ago. It remains to be seen what we get with this Cherry Red version.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: Re-Flex "The Politics Of Dancing" 2 CD Expanded Re-Issue

Postby ZippY » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:55 am

Weird omissions, because there's enough space for it on the 1st CD. Do they actually know about those tracks?! I'll try to send them an email about it.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby Bellenger1981 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:07 am

Thank you for pointing out the 12" of "Jungle" missing, too. I tried sending an e-mail to ideas@cherryred.co.uk, but it bounced back as undeliverable.

I got the Re-Flex box set, but it was missing a number of original 12" mixes. That's why I was hoping that this release would correct that issue.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby Surly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:25 am

My reaction is 1) very excited, because the 7" mix of "Hurt" is the one thing I really cared about that was missing from the boxed set reissues from a number of years back. However, it's Cherry Red, so I'm concerned that 2) it's just going to be a lousy vinyl rip. I'll wait for the reviews, but if this is done from tapes, I'll buy it in an instant.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43 am

Surly wrote:My reaction is 1) very excited, because the 7" mix of "Hurt" is the one thing I really cared about that was missing from the boxed set reissues from a number of years back. However, it's Cherry Red, so I'm concerned that 2) it's just going to be a lousy vinyl rip. I'll wait for the reviews, but if this is done from tapes, I'll buy it in an instant.

Excellent point. Hopefully, the band were involved in the project, and we get all the bonus tracks sourced from original masters. Let's also hope that the mastering does not suffer from extreme brick-walling. You never know with Cherry Red, unfortunately.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 am

My guess is that they must have used the masters from the boxset and any other ones are perhaps vinyl sourced. CR has done the occasional one off wonders where everything is just right, like the Kissing the Pink Reissues.
Last edited by omar on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:04 pm

I recall downloading the box set out of curiosity. I wanted to sample it before buying. If I remember correctly, many if not most of the tracks beyond the original album were slightly or in some cases, significantly "remixed". I was disappointed they weren't the original mixes. I'm hoping that's not the case here. I'm also surprised the 12" version of "The Politics Of Dancing" is missing. I mean, that's THE hit by this band lol. I have this from one of those "Pulsating Grooves" compilations released many years ago but would love a better master of it. I wonder if "THE POLITICS OF DANCING (U.S. 7” SINGLE VERSION)" is a typo and supposed to be 12" Version? I've never known there to be 2 different 7" mixes of it??? But certainly all the other tracks listed would be AWESOME if they're from master tapes AND the original versions, NOT "new" or "tweaked" mixes. Especially the "Flex It" and "Cut It" mixes.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Bellenger1981 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:I recall downloading the box set out of curiosity. I wanted to sample it before buying. If I remember correctly, many if not most of the tracks beyond the original album were slightly or in some cases, significantly "remixed". I was disappointed they weren't the original mixes. I'm hoping that's not the case here. I'm also surprised the 12" version of "The Politics Of Dancing" is missing. I mean, that's THE hit by this band lol. I have this from one of those "Pulsating Grooves" compilations released many years ago but would love a better master of it. I wonder if "THE POLITICS OF DANCING (U.S. 7” SINGLE VERSION)" is a typo and supposed to be 12" Version? I've never known there to be 2 different 7" mixes of it??? But certainly all the other tracks listed would be AWESOME if they're from master tapes AND the original versions, NOT "new" or "tweaked" mixes. Especially the "Flex It" and "Cut It" mixes.

Indeed. The 12" mixes were new mixes and not the original mixes. The remaster on "Pulsating Grooves 3" is way too loud and sounds unnatural. The U.S. 7" version of "The Politics of Dancing" runs about 3:55, whereas the European 7" version of "The Politics of Dancing" runs about 4:14.
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby moni » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:16 am

According to this https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pulsati ... se/1799931 it's the album version of The Politics Of Dancing that's on this compilation and to be honest i have never heard a remix of this track as the so called Extended Mix is just the album version.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Bellenger1981 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:06 am

moni wrote:According to this https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pulsati ... se/1799931 it's the album version of The Politics Of Dancing that's on this compilation and to be honest i have never heard a remix of this track as the so called Extended Mix is just the album version.

I own the compilation, and it is indeed the U.S. 12" mix. The U.S. 12" mix is distinguishable right away from its intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7RIn4byK0
Bellenger1981
Personal Jesus

Postby audiodile » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:45 am

Bellenger1981 wrote:
moni wrote:According to this https://www.discogs.com/Various-Pulsati ... se/1799931 it's the album version of The Politics Of Dancing that's on this compilation and to be honest i have never heard a remix of this track as the so called Extended Mix is just the album version.

I own the compilation, and it is indeed the U.S. 12" mix. The U.S. 12" mix is distinguishable right away from its intro. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY7RIn4byK0

This is correct.

The version on Pulsating Grooves 3 runs 6:47, and is listed as the "Long Version" in Canada. "U.S. 12" Mix" is technically accurate, but it didn't have a mix name on the original US release.

The album version at 6:36 has confusingly been called the "Extended Mix", "Extended Version" and "Version Longue". It also saw release on the compilation Original Hits - 80's 12".

The mixes are similar in parts but distinctly different in the intro.
audiodile
Take On Me

Postby omar » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Burningtheground.net has an excellent vinyl rip of the US 12". BTW there's also the very rare John Punter mix which times at 6:16 min. I think it was on the Re-flex boxset.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby audiodile » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Wow, I'd never heard the John Punter mix before. Different vocals, some different effects/synth/guitar emphasis. Seems like the kind of thing you'd want to put on an expanded re-release.

If you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM0MmEIaIrk
audiodile
Take On Me

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations