Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

RIP Mark Hollis (Talk Talk)

RIP Mark Hollis (Talk Talk)

Postby elevatorman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:48 pm

elevatorman
Take On Me

Re: RIP Mark Hollis (Talk Talk)

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:10 am

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Mark Hollis definitely trod the Scott Walker Path! Unlike Scott, he never emerged again on the other side; making more music. A sad loss since Walker has really blossomed in his maturity. One got the impression that Hollis was equally capable should he desire to go down that path. I got Hollis' solo album six years ago and wasn't under the impression that we'd hear anything more from him. I still need the last three Talk Talk albums. All I have apart form the first two are compilations.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:03 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Mark Hollis definitely trod the Scott Walker Path! Unlike Scott, he never emerged again on the other side; making more music. A sad loss since Walker has really blossomed in his maturity. One got the impression that Hollis was equally capable should he desire to go down that path. I got Hollis' solo album six years ago and wasn't under the impression that we'd hear anything more from him. I still need the last three Talk Talk albums. All I have apart form the first two are compilations.

saw the news also, but not sad. mark left a great legacy, and we still have his music,
he accomplished what he set out to do, and since he wanted nothing to do with music
or create anymore he was done. he was very private, and would rather have been left
alone, and if no on ever mentioned talk talk again, that would be fine with him.

i have pretty much every 12 inch, cd single, album, bootleg etc, from the band.

you are not missing anything from the last 3 talk talk albums, they didn't appeal
to me at all.

if you have the greatest hits, and compilations you are set.

spirit of eden, and laughingstock are just experimental musical pieces, and thats about it.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:19 pm

Last edited by Barmy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby blaaah » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:23 pm

Many would disagree with the above in Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are their best work, they reward perseverence.
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Barmy wrote:He got better as he got older. Early Talk Talk is rather blah.

Even mentioning Scott Walker is ridiculous because no other pop artist has restaged a more triumphant late career.

guess you weren't around in the 80's when they actually made music, instead of pretending to be
some artsy folk band.

blaaah wrote:Many would disagree with the above in Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are their best work, they reward perseverence.

would you disagree. so what if people like experimental jazz fusion sounding tracks, or experiments in silence.

to anyone that actually liked the band from their formation, they offer nothing substantial.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 pm

I will be honest. I don't really get "spirit of eden" and don't think I ever will. That's ok though and even Hollis himself said it's a recording that will either connect with you or it won't. I prefer much more accessible music. I don't mind some experimentation such as late 80s David Sylvian.
Last edited by humanracer on Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby jaybag » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:40 pm

I admit I'm with -1 and humanracer on this - I've listened to those last two albums and his solo album a few times and just never got into them. But I'm cycling through all my Talk Talk today in honor of Mr. Hollis's passing and will give those albums another go. It's funny how squarely in one of two camps people are: either "their early stuff is classic, their later stuff is crap" or "their early stuff blows, Spirit Of Eden is when they really started to shine." Nobody ever seems to say "I love all their stuff".
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby moni » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I love the the first 3 albums especially The Colour of Spring. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are a bit too self indulgent for my liking and his solo album is absolutely dreadful i'm afraid to say.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Last edited by Barmy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:27 am

I'm more than happy to say I like all of their stuff, though I think my favourite is Colour Of Spring. I got into them when I first heard Talk Talk and Today back in 1982 but I kept up with them through to Mark's solo album. I play The Party's Over, It's My Life and Colour Of Spring more often than the later stuff because I tend to prefer pop music.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:20 am

I got into them with the first dance rock album. Very of it's time. Working that Ultravox angle, I thought at the time. More melodramatic [for what that's worth]. I never got anything else for years though I saw and enjoyed the videos for "It's My Life" and "Colour Of Spring" a lot. I could see their music getting more sophisticated and less derivative. I sold off "The Party's Over" on LP in 1985 as I moved to CD. I only got "Natural History" decades later [my wife selected it, actually] and finally got to hear a bit of the "difficult" music I had by then read about for years. Not off putting to my ear [I like a lot of art rock in addition to pop] but I could see that against an England deep in thrall to the PWL empire that it was definitely on its own path at that time. I soon bought a copy of "It's My Life" which I had wanted from 1984 but never managed to buy and found it excellent. Several years later I came across the Mark Hollis album and got that one. I found it a rewarding album but I'm really interested in getting the last three albums. In 2014 I got CDs of "The Party's Over" and "Asides Besides." The latter was just the kind of thing I go for and make myself if I have to. The debut album was definitely of its time, but had enough sauce in the writing to rise above… let's say, the debut from A Flock Of Seagulls.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:30 pm

negative1 wrote:
postpunkmonk wrote:Yeah, I saw that yesterday. Mark Hollis definitely trod the Scott Walker Path! Unlike Scott, he never emerged again on the other side; making more music. A sad loss since Walker has really blossomed in his maturity. One got the impression that Hollis was equally capable should he desire to go down that path. I got Hollis' solo album six years ago and wasn't under the impression that we'd hear anything more from him. I still need the last three Talk Talk albums. All I have apart form the first two are compilations.

saw the news also, but not sad. mark left a great legacy, and we still have his music,
he accomplished what he set out to do, and since he wanted nothing to do with music
or create anymore he was done. he was very private, and would rather have been left
alone, and if no on ever mentioned talk talk again, that would be fine with him.

i have pretty much every 12 inch, cd single, album, bootleg etc, from the band.

you are not missing anything from the last 3 talk talk albums, they didn't appeal
to me at all.

if you have the greatest hits, and compilations you are set.

spirit of eden, and laughingstock are just experimental musical pieces, and thats about it.

later

I actually agree with negative1 on this. Their first album was fun and very New Wave. Their second album was a masterpiece. I think they were at their best during this era. "The Colour Of Spring" which was also very good was a just a continuation of the "It's My Life" period. Tracks from the "It's My Life" album like "Such A Shame", "It's My Life", "Renee", "Tomorrow Started" is the Talk Talk that I really loved. The remixes from "It's My Mix" are incredible. I tried so so hard to listen and like the last 3 albums but they never grew on me. "I Believe In You" and "John Cope" were the final tracks from the band that I really enjoyed. I've grown through the years to accept "Spirit of Eden" to be an interesting experimental piece but that's really it. I can barely listen to their stuff after that. I think they just forgot what music needs to be, catchy or melodic. Anyways, much respect to Mark Hollis and the rest of the band for some great music through the years. I am sad though that he is gone because I have always wanted to see them perform live which probably would have never happen even if he was alive. Mark has such a unique voice. It sounds kind of muffled but he pounds the vocals through. The muffled effect worked great though for their songs. I don't know if I know of anyone else who sounds like him.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Barmy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Last edited by Barmy on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barmy
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:50 pm

Barmy wrote:Music doesn't "need" to be catchy. Hollis obviously rejected that approach with the last two TT albums and his solo. Doesn't mean you need to like it, but I guess it helps if you are 15 years old or whatever to say "OMG it doesn't sound like AFOS so it sux". The artist himself rejected that absurd pigeonhole. I've been listening to some of their 80s stuff and the drum sound is literally unlistenable. It won't get better with age.

it doesn't have to be catchy. it would help if it was actually musical.

later talk talk doesnt do anything musically that prog rock, and experimental
sounding that other groups have done before. mark hollis has a unique voice,
but its appeal is completely lost in the latter recordings.

i feel the same way about early 80s underworld mark 1, and freur, can't stand it.
but when they went techno and electronic in the 2000s and beyond they started to becoming interesting
to me.

not all fans liked the changes.

later
Last edited by negative1 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
negative1
Room at the Top

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations