Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Berlin ‎– Transcendance (2019) Out Now!

Re: Berlin ‎– Transcendance (2019) Out Now!

Postby oldwaver2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:54 pm

:D
Last edited by oldwaver2 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldwaver2
Take On Me

Postby eddie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Bill wrote:Eddie is the number one twat on here without a shadow of a doubt. He also holds that title at quite a few other places as well.

Hello Bill thought you'd return. As I've said before, please tell us which OTHER places. I've told people about btx and the forum i deleted after I banned you from it. Funnily enough the forum which succeeded that one is one year old tomorrow and it's fantastic. Now the problem is, you imbecile, I don't post on any others. Now either list where you think I am or people will know, like I do, that you are talking shit. Funny how I've pmd you twice and you've not had the balls to reply isn't it. Bill the coward. I keep telling you not to visit greasy lake just before you come here but you keep ignoring the advice and it made you so easy to spot. Did you think badlands on greasy lake was me? Ha ha, you are a bigger idiot than I thought.

By the way "Bill" you are aware of what 'twat' is slang for aren't you. In my vast experience of worldwide 'twats' (for example I spent Monday afternoon with a very nice Thai one) they bring immense pleasure to those lucky enough to get to know them and should be enjoyed and celebrated as such. So thanks for what is actually a compliment. Next time you are reviewing dining alone on trip advisor think of me.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby Willbfree » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm

New Wave Outpost. Come for the discussion about new wave music, stay for the discussion about Thailand sex tourism.

Urg. TMI.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:51 pm

Now, after listening to great albums by Missing Persons and SSQ, this one is a let-down. With all the hype of Crawford and Diamond rejoining you'd think they try to revive the "golden years" - but no, hardly anything here harks back to, let's admit it, their best work. Only the remake of "Sex" - which is needless, unoriginal and boring, and begs the question "why". So sad that with all these songwriters in the band they managed to come up with paltry 8 originals and had to resort to redressing of the old warhorse (and recording of "No one left alive" from 1981 in a version that's as far from the uptempo synth original as possible).

The problem, I think, lays with what Chuck50 wrote: "The ethereal synths lay a foundation for her melodic vocals. This recording highlights her strength as a singer". Yes, despite the "cast of thousands" in the line-up music sounds like nothing more than a backdrop for Nunn's vocals - which, for all of their oft-mentioned strength, are rather one-dimensional and samey, inclined to belt no matter what. She tries to bring something else to the table, bluesy notes and so on, but doesn't really succeed. But for all this, if you take away the vocals, there's nothing much left. Booming electronic percussion, whooshy synths, muted guitars, bland digital piano here and there - there really is no music at all, just that - a backdrop. Perhaps it was inevitable, though - Nunn seems to haven taken lessons from Lennox and is adamant at singing over all the music for the songs' duration, leaving simply no space for anything substantially instrumental. Hence the generic nature of it all. There are moments of goodness (like a trumpet in "All for love"), but so scant they're hardly worth mentioning.

It seems, they tried to get all "contemporary" (why?), with all these EDM sounds and rhythms and "bigness" that goes with them. But overall the album strangely sounds even more minimal than Missing Persons effort - and not half as distinctive. You'd think it's a bunch of demos waiting to be developed. It doesn't help that half the songs are slower ones or ballads, especially in the second part. In the end it all comes down to your preference (or the lack of it) for Nunn's vocals. Mine is limited, and besides that there's nothing to recommend. A miss, unfortunately (not that my expectations were high or anything, mind).
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations