Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Passions - Sanctuary CD Coming Soon!

Re: The Passions - Sanctuary CD Coming Soon!

Postby musfan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:56 am

Please don't tell us!

I've seen examples where the reissue label says "we have X reissue" and then either another label swoops in, or the artist complains, or the issuing label has a change of heart, or other reasons that I'd rather wait until the reissue was almost complete, and then "Hey! Guess what we've got coming out??" when it's certain.
musfan
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:16 am

Yes, exactly! I've learned not to post too soon and have read stories of artists getting wind of a reissue and having a fit until it's cancelled. That's why I dumped the Lene Lovich reissue plans.

That being said, I received two full clearances on Monday and have been working on the packaging this week. I'm still not ready to announce them because who knows if someone affiliated with the artist might throw a fit and cause problems. I want to wait until well into production. But then I found with The Passions that the artist knew about the full clearance before I did and actually notified me before Universal did. So it's possible the artist may already be aware of my upcoming reissues but I just don't want to push my luck at the moment. I will say they are two albums that people have been eager for me to release.

Scott
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Jiveman » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:57 pm

Fair enough- can’t argue with that!
Jiveman
Running Up That Hill

Postby omar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 am

Btw Scott have you considered launching a 12” collection series just like those rare RetroActive cds? It maybe time consuming but somehow having all those rare remixes for purchase might be awesome in the future.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby FanFan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:11 am

I have it on good authority from Barmy that this is all still meaningless and you'll never be releasing anything. Joke's on you!
FanFan
Take On Me

Postby Rubellan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:25 am

In production now. Could be available in as little as a couple of weeks, though I'm still uncertain about my new production contact. Definitely not as thorough, detailed, responsive or as reliable as the previous (who was too good to last). She needs to prove herself and she's not making much effort it seems.

You can tell turnover in these labels is relatively high, including in other departments. I recently had a title clear legal and sit in licensing for a good while. When my contact inquired the response they got was they didn't have U.S. rights. I found that odd considering it was released in USA on MCA records and was not a huge band, so he's having them double check. It just kind of felt like licensing would have had to do a little work and they simply just said "we don't own it" even though legal said they did. Persistence is an absolute requirement in all aspects of the process.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 am

omar wrote:Btw Scott have you considered launching a 12” collection series just like those rare RetroActive cds? It maybe time consuming but somehow having all those rare remixes for purchase might be awesome in the future.

I do keep playing with this idea because there are some individual tracks I'd like to have that may not have been on CD reissues. For example, I've purchased 2 copies of the special DJ single mix of Elstree by the Buggles but each one is damaged. I've tried remastering it but it's still a mess, so I gave up. Since this was not included as a bonus track on The Age of Plastic CD reissue, the best option would be to include it on a various artists comp. And then I would probably have to come up with some cheesy generic multi-colored cover art like a lot of other various comps.

Another challenge is I would have to build new relationships within the labels, as various artist comps usually end up in the hands of another label rep and not the usual sales or reissue department. I would either have to focus on Universal artists only, which is still a vast catalog, or see what's up with Warners as well. I haven't had any contact with them for a couple months since there was heavy tension about getting my Danielle Dax bill situated because they outsourced part of their financial department and the language barrier kept resulting in incorrect info, which ultimately led me to getting very stern and direct and escalating until it was properly resolved. If that's the kind of nonsense that would need to be required again, I think I will sidestep Warners as well. Besides, they were ridiculously strict and too many artist catalogs were off limits.

But with so many other projects making the rounds at the moment, I don't want to over-extend myself. As it stands, I should be having The Passions CD ready for sale very soon, I should be getting the Visage master transfers for the next two releases, and I may have another clearance just around the corner. Plus, I just sent in a big project to reissue a bands entire catalog. Though it has been done before, it's never really been done comprehensively or correctly, so I want to do it. It would consist of 3 CD's and 1 multi-colored LP compilation. I hope they approve it, I really want to try my hand at an LP.

Scott
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby roc51 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:49 am

Plus, I just sent in a big project to reissue a bands entire catalog. Though it has been done before, it's never really been done comprehensively or correctly, so I want to do it. It would consist of 3 CD's and 1 multi-colored LP compilation. I hope they approve it, I really want to try my hand at an LP.

Would this happen to be Altered Images? Just curious...
roc51
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:21 am

roc51 wrote:Would this happen to be Altered Images? Just curious...

No, that's owned by Sony and I still grit my teeth when I think how they handled that situation. This would be a Universal owned artist.

I was told I would get a shipping update on The Passions last Wednesday, and of course haven't heard anything since. Have I mentioned that I'm not enchanted with my new UMG production contact?
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:55 am

The Passions - Sanctuary CD has arrived!
I will begin taking orders immediately with the official release date set for Friday, November 8. Packages will begin shipping on Thursday, November 7.

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/online-store

Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Just placed order.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby profil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:02 am

Me too - yesterday in the evening (Germany-time) - in the moment when I saw Scotts announcement :)
Take On Me

Postby profil » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:04 am

And now I'm desperately waiting for the two Visage tracklists :D
Take On Me

Postby rewind » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:11 am

Ordered!
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks all for another very busy pre-release! All orders received by yesterday morning shipped yesterday, and those since will ship today. With this being my official release date, I now have it live on:

Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/Sanctuary-Bonus- ... JbZ2hrkO4k

Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/The-Passions-Sa ... e/14360534

eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153716580157?f ... t3Lb33mUd0

My distributor is in the process of setting it up for wider distribution, which will hopefully be available within the next month. For those who receive the item soon and are satisfied, please post reviews (Amazon, here, wherever) to help spread the word. I've also been in touch with Classic Pop Magazine out of the UK and am planning a half page advert when the Visage reissues come out.

More news coming very soon.

Keep physical media alive!
Rubellan
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations