Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Ric Ocasek - Beatitude CD (bonus tracks) coming soon

Ric Ocasek - Beatitude CD (bonus tracks) coming soon

Postby Rubellan » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 am

The remaster is already completed and hopefully coming to you by late January/early February. Details and sounds samples at the link below.

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/ricocasekbeatitude

I discovered a few interesting things about this album while researching the tape list. At one point, it was going to be a 9 track release with the full 7.5 minute version of Connect Up To Me closing out the planned 4 tracks on side 1. The song 'A Quick One' was an afterthought which then brought the album to 10 tracks. Considering it's my favorite song on the album, I'm grateful for that change.

All of the masters have the full 7.5 minute version of Connect Up To Me but there's a note on the master to fade a 4.5 minutes, which was for the original LP and B side of Something To Grab For. I've left the full length version intact, as it was on the original CD.

There are a number of outtakes from Beatitude, though they only exist on the multi-tracks so I couldn't do anything with them. This includes a 1982 recording of the song Pink Flag Joe, which would later be re-recorded and included on Ric's next solo album in 1986.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Re: Ric Ocasek - Beatitude CD (bonus tracks) coming soon

Postby profil » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:12 am

Scott you made my day - again!!
2020 will become a very special year for me regarding cd releases.

I love this album and I also have the cd. Nevertheless I made my own cdr version to include all the bonus tracks. I also added the edit of Connect Up To Me.
Now it gets the Rubellan treatment and I'm sure it won't get better soundwise.

I would have loved to hear the outtakes that sessions and have them included on this cd. But well, you can't have it all...
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:03 am

Saving my shekels for January. Can we all just agree to outright collect the Rubellan Remasters label?
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:46 am

Yes, I say everyone buy them all many times over and keep this train rolling!

But I do want to share some other news, and I'm still not sure how all of this is going to shake out. Universal informed me they are transitioning from finished good deals, where they do all the manufacturing with the price included in the cost to me, to license deals, which will see me doing the manufacturing myself. On one hand, I'm absolutely thrilled about this because I've been gritting my teeth with my production contact. She generally needs to be reminded about things and is terrible at relaying important details. Case in point, I had planned to have Visage and even Ric in hand early January. I sent her an email on Friday only to receive her out of office stating she will be out until January 6. I wanted to scream! She never informed me and she's been dragging her feet on the Visage re-press and the disc manufacturing. On January 6, she will have a message waiting for her telling her I will be checking in regularly until these projects are done. Once manufacturing transitions to me, you can be assured there will be no ass-dragging delays and things will get done quickly and correctly.

The gray area is cost. While I've found a manufacturer that will do my runs for a decent price, I still have yet to see what the re-calculated costs from Universal will be minus the manufacturing. My hope is it will still be worthwhile, or even more encouraging. But I also don't know if I'm going to have a new initial contact or keep the same, who hasn't replied to any emails in the past several weeks. I also don't know if there's going to be new restrictions on requests. For example, I had requested to license the Berlin albums 'Pleasure Victim' and 'Love Life', each with bonus tracks. I got word a month ago that Pleasure Victim cleared other than two tracks that have to be cleared via the International office. And then I heard in a non-standard way that Love Life cleared. I say non-standard because I received the final agreement to sign and I didn't even know it had cleared. That usually doesn't come until well into production, so it had actually cleared some time ago and no one told me. But in the meantime, I had found some potential unreleased material I wanted to include on the reissue and tried and tried to get a response if I could add it. After a month of trying to get some sort of feedback I was told by a high level exec in licensing they will only allow the album to be reissued straight without bonus tracks. But then I informed them the clearance included 3 bonus tracks. It appears they are letting me continue with those additional tracks but if they suddenly decide bonus tracks are not an option for new requests, there's no point in carrying on. We would really have no use for bare bones reissues when expanded editions are what's lacking. I have asked a few questions to the person who has provided some of the new info but haven't gotten any response. It's likely they are still working out the details of this new process but I'm hoping all will become clear soon into the new year. But I still have several requests with bonus tracks working their way through that will be transitioned to licenses, so hopefully there will still be pleasant surprises coming.

Thanks for the support in 2019 and beyond!
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Well, I make a practice of buying them many times over. I give them as gifts and my birthday presents are known for their curation. I've bought several copies of "Visage" and "Sleep Convention" with more copies of Trees to be purchased going forward!

Quick takeaway from the UMG licensing/manufacturing split? Not good on the face of things. This seems to indicate that the numbers aren't there for UMG to make sufficient profit on the manufacturing end. This indicates desire for physical goods in freefall; or what must seem like freefall to UMG. Hopefully, it's just a case of label myopia and skewed perception of then vs. now.

On the plus side, this should speed the plow as you indicate. Getting UMG [owns a significant percentage of all music while being manned by what would have been a skeleton crew in the 80s] out of the chain of command may only be good. The manpower is probably stretched thinly. The third party duplicators have been doing this for years and have the production chain down to a science and they have no reason at all to drag their feet. Their service is fully commoditized and as long as the capital infrastructure is still there to manufacture CDs you should have no problems.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 pm

I too suspected it had something to do with them moving further away from physical media, and perhaps looking to reduce staff involved in those areas? Honestly, I'm wondering if my first point of contact VP is still going to have a job. Being a director of reissues when there's not much of a reissue market to direct, he's either going to be transition to something else or given a handshake for years of service. Either could explain why he hasn't replied to anything in several weeks, and why the change to licensing info came for a licensing VP.

But if taking the manufacturing side away internally means I can still license albums (with bonus tracks) while they adjust or reduce workforce, I'm fine with it. I've already shown the technical ability to create not only the masters in an appropriate file format, but all of the artwork in proper layouts and print ready files. I say, bring it on! Then maybe I'll finally be able to get a fun colored vinyl reissue without having to wait 3 years with endless reminders for the reissue guy to calculate a manufacturing cost. Just give me the cost of licensing and access to request the masters, and I'll happily do the rest.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Willbfree » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:58 am

Sounds like the “no bonus tracks” claim was just that person’s way of saying they didn’t want to bother with it. Or they’d heard that more of their staff was canned, and could not imagine who would still be around to turn their archives into money.

But boy does it often sounds like they’d rather be in any other business than the business they are in.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Qbertqubes » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:59 am

no outtakes? That is a bummer. that would have seen what we all wanted to be included.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Willbfree wrote:Sounds like the “no bonus tracks” claim was just that person’s way of saying they didn’t want to bother with it. Or they’d heard that more of their staff was canned, and could not imagine who would still be around to turn their archives into money.

But boy does it often sounds like they’d rather be in any other business than the business they are in.

Umm, well, I think I kind of have my answer. I just looked up my primary Universal contact on Linkedin and they just changed their position to "Consultant" and their title as the head of the special markets is listed as ending in December 2019. So it will be interesting if in the new year I will find out if these license deals will extend to new requests, or if they are just going to scrap third party requests. It will be sad if I'm forced to pack it in, but as long as I get to continue with the already signed deals I guess that will add to my limited label legacy.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations