Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SSQ - New album Jet Town Je’taime

SSQ - New album Jet Town Je’taime

Postby anemiccinema » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Digital release only on Synthicide

1 Trippin' Me Out 2:49
2 AirPods On 2:48
3 Surrender to the Groove 3:42
4 Jet Town Je T'aime 4:14
5 Dance Love Pray 4:06
6 Stupid Things 4:34
7 Fade With You 3:13
8 Land of Snow 3:34
9 I Saw Brigitte Bardot 3:49
10 Two Weeks in Paris 4:21
11 The Bad in Every Man 3:22
12 Ghosts Of 66 5:40
anemiccinema
Personal Jesus

Re: SSQ - New album Jet Town Je’taime

Postby Chuck50 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:32 pm

So far I've only been able to find
SSQ - Jet Town Je t'aime
In MP3 files on Amazon, iTunes, and streaming sites.

The release is a mixed bag of styles.
Stacy Q is big in the Latin market.
She has several releases on Thump Records
who specialize in Latin "Lowrider" music, Freestyle, and Hip-Hop
Wait until you hear 'Trippin' Me Out'.

I've never been so excited and then so sad in the same hour.
Last edited by Chuck50 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby NuWavo80s » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:37 pm

This SSQ release makes me appreciate Berlin ‎– Transcendance more. Way more!

I hated it so much I deleted the MP3s I had just puchased.
Lossless or MP3s?, I wouldn't want to listen to it again or have it, even in Braille.

This used to be the worst SSQ song before this release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47es6sO ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by NuWavo80s on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NuWavo80s
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 am

I had "Jet Town" on a "Hardest Hits" CD and liked it and wondered if I should invest more in SSQ in spite of knowing and dismissing Stacey Q from her solo hit. The new SSQ was in my discogs feed and I wondered about it. Now I know to sample first before buying.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 am

I bought the Playback LP a year or two ago when I found it locally cheap. I gave it an open minded listen and I didn't understand the hype about it. To me it sounded like a huge Berlin knock off, sexually motivated lyrics over electronic background. However, it wasn't as convincing as Berlin and the music was extremely dated. I tried, I really did, but SSQ was just not for me.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby Thefxc2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:32 am

This is a weird album. It's not really a dance record, aside from 'Dance Love Pray' which could be something from a Stacey Q solo album (it reminds me of 'The River'). Most of it sounds like Stacey (and presumably Jon too) has gotten bigtime into St Etienne, but they don't have the chops to actually copy St Etienne's sound properly. It's all quite bad, but interesting. And it that sense it's better than the new "Berlin" album, which is simply quite bad.

Would still love a CD edition of Synthicide–they've done a butchered digital reissue and a pointless vinyl reissue, so maybe one day they'll do it properly
Thefxc2
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:51 am

From my top of the hill the SSQ album - "Playback", that is - is much preferable to Berlin. It doesn't have the Nunn histrionics, overemoting and showing off that most of the time actually puts off, not endear. Stacey, on the other hand, has/had that soft flirty sex kitten voice that I have all the time for :D As for music, well both Berlin and SSQ and second-rate to start with - but they are from the same stable (St James even had a hand in "Pleasure victim") and are not that far off. It's like bands fronted by sisters - the older (Nunn) is full of nerves and tries too hard, while the younger (Stacey) is just relaxed and enjoys the ride. SSQ lyrics are better, more fun, not as heavy-handed.

Actually it's high time someone would re-release "Playback" (with bonuses) properly, not like that shitty web-only thing from several years ago - resequenced and brickwalled to hell.

Will check the new album out, too. Though a shame they (Berlin and SSQ) didn't want to simply do updated versions of their early stuff, seeing how synthwave is all the rage at the moment. All this "grown-up" thing is boring and weary.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Chuck50 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:57 pm

Growing up in Los Angeles in the 70s/80s,
Berlin and SSQ were the "Local Bands" done good.

L.A. celebrates its Hardcore Punk and Hair Metal but didn't really embrace it's New Wave scene,
even though it was home of the world famous KROQ radio station.

L.A. had New Wave bands, Oingo Boingo ,Wall Of Voodoo, Suburban Lawns, Animotion, Bone Symphony, Missing Person,
Berlin, SSQ, Slow Children, Martini Ranch, Abecedarians, A Drop in the Gray, Sue Saad and the Next, The Go-Go's,
The Plimsouls, Sparks, and The Knack...

Techno-Pop/Synth-Pop never really caught on in L.A.
When Berlin, SSQ, Missing Persons, Wall Of Voodoo, etc etc play at your School dances/Grad Night,
you have a certain fondness for them.

Sadly Metal dominated L.A. in the 80s.
L.A. Punks turned into Thrashers and some New Wavers turned into Metallers.

Even John Crawford, Mark Christian, Rob Brill, (Berlin)
played in a Hair Metal band called 'The Big F' The Cult meets Guns N' Roses.

Speaking of..
Berlin's original drummer Daniel Van Patten (RIP)
before Berlin drummed for a New Wave/Synth-punk band called 'Null and Void"
You can find a compilation on Medical Records site.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby drivel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Chuck50 wrote:So far I've only been able to find
SSQ - Jet Town Je t'aime
In MP3 files on Amazon, iTunes, and streaming sites.

Jet Town Je t'aime is streaming in lossless on Deezer.
drivel
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:From my top of the hill the SSQ album - "Playback", that is - is much preferable to Berlin. It doesn't have the Nunn histrionics, overemoting and showing off that most of the time actually puts off, not endear. Stacey, on the other hand, has/had that soft flirty sex kitten voice that I have all the time for :D As for music, well both Berlin and SSQ and second-rate to start with - but they are from the same stable (St James even had a hand in "Pleasure victim") and are not that far off. It's like bands fronted by sisters - the older (Nunn) is full of nerves and tries too hard, while the younger (Stacey) is just relaxed and enjoys the ride. SSQ lyrics are better, more fun, not as heavy-handed.

Actually it's high time someone would re-release "Playback" (with bonuses) properly, not like that shitty web-only thing from several years ago - resequenced and brickwalled to hell.

Will check the new album out, too. Though a shame they (Berlin and SSQ) didn't want to simply do updated versions of their early stuff, seeing how synthwave is all the rage at the moment. All this "grown-up" thing is boring and weary.

I see what you are saying. I don't prefer Stacey's girlish singing over Nunn's belting, but you're basically right. Both bands are cut from very similar stylistic cloth. L.A. bands making Ultravox wannabe music [nothing wrong with that]. Ultravox sold out four nights at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go in late 1979 when these bands were born. I prefer Berlin's "Information" because the material isn't so "heavy handed" as you say. Later Berlin sounded great. I like the singing and playing just fine. Crawford's lyrics weren't my cup of tea. These bands were the US equivalent of Gary Numan to me. 'Vox wannabe synth rock which is acceptable on that level, if you care to go there. Numan was into Phil Dick and alienation. Berlin, eventually, were into sex. I still need to hear more early SSQ. Like I said, "Jet Town" is a decent song that has me wanting to hear more.
Last edited by postpunkmonk on Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:46 pm

I love both SSQ and Berlin and although they have their similarities, they both had a sound that was all their own. I just wish SSQ would release Playback with dvd and bonus tracks and Berlin would release Pleasure Victim and Love Life with dvd and bonus tracks.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:35 am

Sean wrote:I love both SSQ and Berlin and although they have their similarities, they both had a sound that was all their own. I just wish SSQ would release Playback with dvd and bonus tracks and Berlin would release Pleasure Victim and Love Life with dvd and bonus tracks.

I would buy a "Pleasure Victim" DLX RM that had version 1 of "Tell Me Why" in a heartbeat!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:03 am

postpunkmonk wrote:
Sean wrote:I love both SSQ and Berlin and although they have their similarities, they both had a sound that was all their own. I just wish SSQ would release Playback with dvd and bonus tracks and Berlin would release Pleasure Victim and Love Life with dvd and bonus tracks.

I would buy a "Pleasure Victim" DLX RM that had version 1 of "Tell Me Why" in a heartbeat!

That would be nice but unlikely. Since I've received clearance for Love Life and partial clearance so far for my proposed Pleasure Victim reissue, I've reached out to the band in many different ways, including their management, facebook, and even directly to band members. I've gotten no response of interest. Universal do not appear to own or have a master of the original Tell Me Why, and without the band wanting to be involved, I don't even know who would own that track. However, my planned reissue does include the single remix of Tell Me Why from the Sex 7" single.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:25 am

Rubellan wrote:
postpunkmonk wrote:I would buy a "Pleasure Victim" DLX RM that had version 1 of "Tell Me Why" in a heartbeat!

That would be nice but unlikely. Since I've received clearance for Love Life and partial clearance so far for my proposed Pleasure Victim reissue, I've reached out to the band in many different ways, including their management, facebook, and even directly to band members. I've gotten no response of interest. Universal do not appear to own or have a master of the original Tell Me Why, and without the band wanting to be involved, I don't even know who would own that track. However, my planned reissue does include the single remix of Tell Me Why from the Sex 7" single.

Not shocking there since it only came out on the band's indie M.A.O. Records imprint. I believe that the label had involvement from manager Peregrine Watts-Russell, but that's based on ancient Trouser Press articles not nearby right now. Unfortunately, It was the first thing I heard by Berlin in late '81 on college radio so that version of the song has been imprinted on me for 39 years now and I've yet to see a copy for sale [other than online at prices I cannot afford, and even those only in the last 15 years] and yet was a record I was looking for from day one. The version on "Pleasure Victim" has never worked for me because of that. I don't own any Berlin CDs so it looks like the Rubellan discs will be the first in the Record Cell after all of these years.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Just checked the SSQ album after being impressed with Missing Persons one - what a nice surprise! I'm taking back my previous words here about grown-up stuff being weary and boring - they actually did a very agreeable and cohesive album! My only serious objection is the pointless and actually rather embarrassing remake of "Walkman on" ("Airpods on") - that needn't have happened. Otherwise, all's well. Stacey sings perfectly - she really developed into a strong and nuanced singer, which happens so rare. Musically it's a mixed bag, as already mentioned - but a pleasant one. Don't expect many "Playback" moments - only a couple of them, but overall the songwriting impresses me. Some ballad-y moments, but not overlong, and certainly no blandness, all songs have a backbone to them. And you can hum along easily - though some songs seem to have serious themes to them. The mood is quite uplifting, even playful at times - something of a complete opposite to Missing Persons. I certainly didn't expect to like both - but I do!

Overall, a very nice album to put on and relax or do something not too distracting. And sounds good to me - I don't know what previous commentators expected, but it's perfectly acceptable. Recommend to listen to this at least one (you can do that easily on Discogs).

Stand-out songs: Surrender to the groove, The bad in every man, Dance love pray, Ghosts of 66, Land of snow.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations