Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

BERLIN Love Life CD reissue with bonus tracks now available

Re: BERLIN Love Life CD reissue with bonus tracks now availa

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:02 pm

Rubellan wrote:
Passing_Stranger wrote:Scott, just curious: why you didn't include the re-recordings of "Masquerade" and "For all tomorrow's lies"? They would have been good additions - the former sounds in line with "Love life" and the latter is a version of the LP track, it'd make sense to see them a part of the program.

I'm not aware of a re-recording of Masquerade. I know of the single and extended remixes, both of which were set to be included on the Pleasure Victim reissue. The flexi version is a unique/early mix but Universal didn't have a tape of it and may not own the rights to that mix as it was before their Geffen signing.

The re-recording of For All Tomorrow's Lies would have gone with Blowin' Sky High as bonus tracks on Count Three And Pray, as they were recorded after that album.

The single remixes of Sex and Tell Me Why are/were also set to be part of the Pleasure Victim reissue.

I hope the "Pleasure Victim" plans come to fruition! I'm gonna refrain from sharing my rip of the "Sex (I'm A...)" 7" Remix from that compilation CD I mentioned above because it's inclusion would certainly be one selling point for the reissue, if it comes to pass. I always preferred the 7" remix of "Tell Me Why" over the LP version! Fingers crossed...
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:59 pm

So my copy of the "Love Life" Expanded Edition arrived today and I just finished listening to it.

One word: "Day-um!"

This is one of my absolute favorite albums, so to say I had high expectations is putting it mildly. Needless to say, expectations met - and exceeded! This album has NEVER sounded better - and I've been listening to it since I was 13 lol!

The re-positioning of "Rumor Of Love" and "Lost In The Crowd" (on the original CD release they were tracks 6&12 respectively) to the end of the album was a good choice, since they were always "bonus tracks" and did not appear on the original LP.

I've had the "Now It's My Turn" US 7" since buying it in 1984 and it's so cool to finally hear it (albeit in a somewhat extended form of the USA 12" Promo version) in glorious CD quality. I had goosebumps all the way through it!

The inclusion of the "No More Words" and "Dancing In Berlin" 12" remixes was a necessity and they sound fantastic here and meld seamlessly with all the other tracks rather than sticking out like a sore thumb as some "bonus tracks" sometimes do. I have the Japanese "Dancing In Berlin" CD and this new remaster of those tracks wins hands down.

And the album itself - the sound is simply stunning. So FULL! Great bass (which was all but absent on the original CD's) and crisp but pleasant and consistent high frequencies from start to finish, showcasing the vocals and the purity of the digital keyboards used at the time. It sounds NEW. And by that, I don't mean compressed to holy hell. It sounds fresh and alive, with tons of "POW!" yet, plenty of room to breath too. A completely enjoyable aural experience from start to finish.

Lastly, the packaging is true to the original LP and beautifully presented.

Thank you Scott, for taking one of my most treasured albums of all time, treating it with respect and care, and making it even bigger and better than ever before! I've fallen in love with "Love Life" all over again! Consider me easily won-over as a new and fervent supporter of Rubellan Remasters. You sir, have my utmost gratitude and respect!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby cjinca » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:49 am

Some musings...

1) Got this a couple weeks ago and it sounds AMAZING. Love Life was the first CD I ever bought (Dec 26, 1984 LOL) and has always been sort of flat sounding. Now it is full and punchy with lively bass and no stupid compression/fake loudness. Thank you Scott so much for doing this!

2) There was a re-recording of Masquerade on the Perfect soundtrack. The synths are more "aggressive" and I don't like the vocals as much either. If it could be included on a future re-issue it would be great for completeness, but not a deal breaker.

3) Please keep trying to re-issue (especially) Pleasure Victim and Count Three and Pray. Pleasure Victim may be one of the worst sounding CD's ever, and I know Scott would transform it into the true sonic masterpiece that it is. And to finally have CD copies of the period-era remixes and edits would be great!

If anyone is on the fence about getting this, I highly recommend it. These are crazy times and if you are stuck at home, spend some time with this quality reissue!
cjinca
Running Up That Hill

Postby Rubellan » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:51 am

cjinca wrote:Some musings...

1) Got this a couple weeks ago and it sounds AMAZING. Love Life was the first CD I ever bought (Dec 26, 1984 LOL) and has always been sort of flat sounding. Now it is full and punchy with lively bass and no stupid compression/fake loudness. Thank you Scott so much for doing this!

2) There was a re-recording of Masquerade on the Perfect soundtrack. The synths are more "aggressive" and I don't like the vocals as much either. If it could be included on a future re-issue it would be great for completeness, but not a deal breaker.

3) Please keep trying to re-issue (especially) Pleasure Victim and Count Three and Pray. Pleasure Victim may be one of the worst sounding CD's ever, and I know Scott would transform it into the true sonic masterpiece that it is. And to finally have CD copies of the period-era remixes and edits would be great!

If anyone is on the fence about getting this, I highly recommend it. These are crazy times and if you are stuck at home, spend some time with this quality reissue!

Thanks for the feedback. Happy you are enjoying the CD. And thank you for the information on the later Masquerade. Someone had non-specifically mentioned a re-recorded version but I thought they meant within the last decade or two, I didn't realize there was a soundtrack version. I looked it up on YouTube and it's ok but definitely not as good as the Pleasure Victim era versions.

Since it was recorded in 85 it could be an idea for a Count Three reissue but the snag is that version is owned by Sony and I'm not sure if Universal will cross license anymore with the changes this year. My proposed Pleasure Victim track listing already has 3 versions of Masquerade and I do hope that finally clears soon.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations