Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

OMD Enola Gay Ltd 40th vinyl released 12/4/20

OMD Enola Gay Ltd 40th vinyl released 12/4/20

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 pm

OMD are releasing a 40th anniversary vinyl for Enola Gay this Friday, 12/4/20.

As of today, 30% off and free US shipping at udiscover store:
https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/product ... on-12-inch

Item description from that store (I have seen this described as both a 10 and 12" record so not sure which it really is):

Limited edition 12” vinyl release of the band’s legendary anti-war hit single "Enola Gay," to celebrate the 40th anniversary of its original release, and 75 years since the World War II atomic bombing of Hiroshima by the Enola Gay aircraft. The release features two brand new mixes of the track by Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys. One extended mix uses the original master multi-track, that sounds like the 12" version that never was, but should have been released in 1980. The second is a slowed down, chilled out rework that is far removed from the original but remains undeniably glorious.
Glenn
Take On Me

Re: OMD Enola Gay Ltd 40th vinyl released 12/4/20

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:09 am

Glenn wrote:OMD are releasing a 40th anniversary vinyl for Enola Gay this Friday, 12/4/20.

As of today, 30% off and free US shipping at udiscover store:
https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/product ... on-12-inch

Item description from that store (I have seen this described as both a 10 and 12" record so not sure which it really is):

Limited edition 12” vinyl release of the band’s legendary anti-war hit single "Enola Gay," to celebrate the 40th anniversary of its original release, and 75 years since the World War II atomic bombing of Hiroshima by the Enola Gay aircraft. The release features two brand new mixes of the track by Andy McCluskey and Paul Humphreys. One extended mix uses the original master multi-track, that sounds like the 12" version that never was, but should have been released in 1980. The second is a slowed down, chilled out rework that is far removed from the original but remains undeniably glorious.

I ordered mine immediately and have almost forgotten about this! I guess it will be coming soon. I was very unmoved by the Hot Chip DL remix, though! I'm guessing the band's own will be much better as these things usually are. Their recent remixes of contemporary material are quite good.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:31 am

These remixes have been out digitally for a couple of weeks. The Extended version is excellent--as advertised, sounds like the 80's 12" that never was. The Slow version is very different but very interesting too...almost sounds like a "reprise" that might have been the closing track from the album.

The Hot Chip (who I normally like) remix is atrocious. Sounds like two unrelated songs playing on top of each other.

Reaching back to the remixes from The OMD Singles collection, I remember the Sash remix being decent (the CD Single-only Radio Edit had some love-it-or-hate-it voiceover). The Dancefloor Killa remix was definitely of it's time: "hard house" beats, but sucked all the beauty out of the song.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Still, worst remix of ALL time… "Electricity" by Micronauts… from 1998 remixes. Am I right?
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby thunderbird2 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:11 am

Yes that electricity remix was awful but on that single had my favourite remix by moby of souvenir i think lhe did a lovely version that had his stamp over it but kept the essential omd sound
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Postby dlgladwin » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:03 am

Are these available to download in WAV or FLAC?
-----------------
Read what I'm writing?
dlgladwin
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am

thunderbird2 wrote:Yes that electricity remix was awful but on that single had my favourite remix by moby of souvenir i think lhe did a lovely version that had his stamp over it but kept the essential omd sound

I thought that Paul's new vocal was miles better but hated how Moby eviscerated the celestial rhythm track of god on "Souvenir." That middle eight was no longer a bilssful ride.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Glenn » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:20 am

I always liked the OMD vs Sash! mixes of Enola Gay from that period. The longer version was on CD on the 2-CD French Singles release:
https://www.discogs.com/Orchestral-Mano ... ase/394799
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:18 am

dlgladwin wrote:Are these available to download in WAV or FLAC?

There's apparently a DL voucher in the 12". iTunes has them in AAC, so other online stores might offer other formats. Not sure. The voucher DL might be a WAV file. That's what I got the last time I ordered an OMD single on vinyl [Electricity clear 7"] direct from the label. I'll let you know when mine arrives.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Aevion93 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:50 pm

Is it just me or has Andy re-recorded his vocals for these new mixes? Sounds to me like he did the same on the Vince Clarke remix of Electricity as well, but I could be wrong....
Aevion93
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Those reworkings and "faithful to the original" extendeds are so uncalled for! They should leave the songs well alone. Missed opportunity won't be rectified by this kind of revisionism. Better to stick to new stuff and not fooling around with stone cold classics.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby profil » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:14 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:Those reworkings and "faithful to the original" extendeds are so uncalled for! They should leave the songs well alone. Missed opportunity won't be rectified by this kind of revisionism. Better to stick to new stuff and not fooling around with stone cold classics.

Well I absolutely love these reworkings and "faithful to the original" extendeds. I loved the 12" versions then in the early 80's as variations of the original album/single versions -mostly very nice longer alternative versions/mixes.
And that's why I still love them - also when released 40 years after the original version.

I like the OMD versions on this release are much because they could have been also released in 1980.
The "new" Dave Ball mixes of the Soft Cell Boxset are in the same vein.
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations