Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Classix Nouveaux: The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 - 4 CDs

Re: Classix Nouveaux: The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 - 4 C

Postby omar » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:58 pm

Got it today. The first three albums sound ok as they're perhaps copied from the original cds which i believe were master tape sourced. However Secret is a different ball game altogether . It's definitely a vinyl rip and a bad one too. How come master tapes cannot be used for that? are they lost or destroyed or is Cherry Red to lazy to bother. Secret has been reissued/repressed twice in the past both from a vinyl source . This is definitely a 5 out of 10.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Astronaut2005 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am

Hi guys!

I got my CN 4CD box set too!
The package is very nice. I like the idea of artwork vinyl replica.

This time, they improved the sound quality of Classix Nouveaux, Night People and La Verité albums. The last track of La Verité CD... Chemin Chagrin is a vinyl rip and not a good one, with click and pops during the song.

But the Secret album sounds much better this time comparing to the previous Cherry Red Records 2006 edition. The 15 track "Switch" (Full lenght Version) is the only one you can hear the hiss and hum in the begginning of the music.
The booklet is very cool. Comes with lots of photos of the classic formation: Sal Solo, Bp Hurding, Gary Steadman and Mik Sweeney.
Information about all the CN discography with small photos.
The price of this edition is nice and a great opportunity for all who wants all the CN albums in CD format.

My rating to this box set: 8 in 10
Astronaut2005
Switchin' to Glide

Postby omar » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:46 pm

Astronaut2005 wrote:Hi guys!

I got my CN 4CD box set too!
The package is very nice. I like the idea of artwork vinyl replica.

This time, they improved the sound quality of Classix Nouveaux, Night People and La Verité albums. The last track of La Verité CD... Chemin Chagrin is a vinyl rip and not a good one, with click and pops during the song.

But the Secret album sounds much better this time comparing to the previous Cherry Red Records 2006 edition. The 15 track "Switch" (Full lenght Version) is the only one you can hear the hiss and hum in the begginning of the music.
The booklet is very cool. Comes with lots of photos of the classic formation: Sal Solo, Bp Hurding, Gary Steadman and Mik Sweeney.
Information about all the CN discography with small photos.
The price of this edition is nice and a great opportunity for all who wants all the CN albums in CD format.

My rating to this box set: 8 in 10

The overall presentation is good as is the packaging, but the sound quality is pretty much the same as the older cds, maybe a bit louder. Secret still sounds fucked up like the previous vinyl ripped edition. Why oh why can't we get these done properly ???
omar
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 pm

This review on Amazon is the only 1-star review.

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 28 February 2021
Verified Purchase
Is It A Dream? No, it's a nightmare. This box set contains the exact same low quality vinyl transferred audio found on Cherry Red's previous releases of the Classix Nouveaux albums. You can hear the turntable rumble, you can spot missing intros and the usual snap, crackle and pop. It also fails to include the 12" version of their biggest hit, which is a massive oversight, and probably because they don't even know it exists. I'm really disappointed and if you don't want to be, then I suggest you avoid this set. Maybe some one will issue these recordings in genuine digital HQ, and not just rip some old vinyl records to save costs. When people read reviews like mine, they'll lose out on money via sales, so just pay for some decent transfers from the get go, you lazy unprofessional outfit. You never learn!
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations