Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New Order-The Singles

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:21 pm

And while we're still on this, why the hell was Turn My Way off Get Ready never a single? Does anyone else think this? I mean they went to the all the trouble of having Billy Corgan record his gorgeous backing vocals on it, it would seem to have been the perfect single candidate. Corgan's voice just slips right into this song, as if he's always been chorusing with Barney. I'd love to see a New Order/Corgan/Johnny Marr super group!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Sean » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:16 am

Thanks a million Blir. The list with the time per song answered quite a few questions for me. I think I'm going to definitely pick this one up. Some of those versions look pretty interesting. I wanted a 7" version of Blue Monday & True Faith though. Does the 7" version of Subculture sound like the album version on the version on Substance?
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby bruiser » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:01 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>Thanks a million Blir. The list with the time per song answered quite a few questions for me. I think I'm going to definitely pick this one up. Some of those versions look pretty interesting. I wanted a 7" version of Blue Monday & True Faith though. Does the 7" version of Subculture sound like the album version on the version on Substance?
[/quote]

like substance, with the female backups and the punchy drums and orchestra samples
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby korova1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:42 am

Anybody know if there is going to be a 2 CD set called B-Sides? Just wondering.
korova1
Personal Jesus

Postby Gavin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:28 am

It looks like the version of Ceremony is not the 7" version, but the same old 12" version that's on every comp under the sun. At least this is true on iTunes. This pretty much sucks due to the fact that the 7" version has never been on CD. It was recorded immediately after Ian's death before Gillian was even in the band and sounds quite different from the 12" version recorded with her later as a four piece. Another classic New Order track choice. Thanks guys.
Gavin
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:56 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Gavin[/i]
<br>It looks like the version of Ceremony is not the 7" version, but the same old 12" version that's on every comp under the sun. At least this is true on iTunes. This pretty much sucks due to the fact that the 7" version has never been on CD. It was recorded immediately after Ian's death before Gillian was even in the band and sounds quite different from the 12" version recorded with her later as a four piece. Another classic New Order track choice. Thanks guys.
[/quote]
This puzzles me. From everything I've seen, both the initial January 1981 7 and 12" single releases were the same 4:34min pre-Gillian version. This is the version on Singles as well as the International 2 bootleg comp. I've heard slightly different rips from vinyl that were confusingly of different length and pitch due to the rip itself, but all were nevertheless still the same version.

There is a slightly more refinded 4:22min post-Gillian July 1981 12" single version that also appears on Retro CD1. Last possibility, are you mistaking it for the one from the so-called Western Works 4-track demo that also included Dreams Never End, Homage, and Truth? Just to compare, here's that VERY crude one with its intermediate 4:29min length. Lemme know:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1HGO ... NC08F2DX9B

PS. This is F*&KED UP! The Apple bastards ARE selling the 4:24 "refined" version from International as if it's part of Singles. That's bullshit. It's not. Singles definately has the original 4:34/4:39 or whatever version. How can we call ourselves a modern enlightened society when we let such things happen?!!! [:(!][:(!][:(!]

[:D]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby korova1 » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:06 pm

I don't understand, the version of Ceremony on my NO - Singles Comp is COMPLETELY different than the version on Substance, etc. Maybe it is just the Itunes chumps that are using the International version?
korova1
Personal Jesus

Postby rewind » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:47 am

I've checked, and iTunes definitely has the WRONG versions of some of the tracks on "Singles." For instance, "Temptation" on iTunes (as well as on MusicMatch) is the RE-RECORDED version from Substance. However, the version that's actually on the Singles CD is the ORIGINAL 7", making it's first ever CD appearance (finally!!)
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Gavin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks Blir. I've done some further research and this seems to be the situation with Ceremony: the 7" and the green 12" are the original 4:34 versions w/o Gillian. The white and blue 12" is the re-recorded 4:22 version that we know and love from Substance, International, Best Of, Retro, 20 Years Of, etc. "Singles" does have the original version, and I believe it's the first time it's been on CD. iTunes has made an error and is selling the re-recorded version instead. To be clear: if you believe you have bought "Singles" on iTunes, you haven't. Ceremony, and appearently Temptation, are the wrong versions. If you guys feel like having a really good time, try finding contact information for iTunes customer support.
Gavin
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frau_Blucher » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:08 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Gavin[/i]
<br>If you guys feel like having a really good time, try finding contact information for iTunes customer support.
[/quote]
Hah Hah freaking HAH! I've tried this before when a download went kerflooey. This is an impossible task and should likely be brought up to the FTC. Company's that shirk or don't fully load their responsibilities and business costs are deceiving their customers and investors. There's a reason why Apple is headquartered at 1 Infinite Loop Drive! [;)]
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations