Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Mission of Burma & Gang of Four

Mission of Burma & Gang of Four

Postby Borneojimy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:11 am

I know these have both been out for a while, but I picked up the reunion CDs from both bands yesterday & I'm quite pleased with both. MOB hasn't lost a step in all this time, their "On Off On" disc is great! And Gang Of Four's "return The Gift" is awesome IMO. A lot of the songs are pretty similar to the original versions, but some are much improved. The thumping sound you hear is me kicking myself for missing them in Philly earlier this year.
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:40 am

Agreed! It seems neither of these bands get much attention in these forums. On Off On is classic stuff, like they never skipped a beat. It's been out over a year too. Have they toured at all to support it?

And GOF, phew, that Philly concert was epic. Amazing energy from both the band and the audience. But I've looked at past Name That Tune GOF selections - few people ever go them. I talking about three of their most mainstream songs! I wonder if this is more of a latter new wave crowd?...MTV and on?
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Borneojimy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:43 am

I'm not sure if Burma has toured since the CD was released, but they did a few reunion gigs in 2002 or so. From what I understand, they only do weekend "tours" for the time being, something to do with their jobs maybe?
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:43 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Borneojimy[/i]
<br>I'm not sure if Burma has toured since the CD was released, but they did a few reunion gigs in 2002 or so. From what I understand, they only do weekend "tours" for the time being, something to do with their jobs maybe?
[/quote]

They played a bunch of shows in 2002, a few shows in 2003, and ?1 show in 2004,

http://www.missionofburma.com/home.html
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby fanciz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:31 am

I love Gang Of Four, Damaged Goods is a New Wave anthem and I'm ordering the CD. However I heard the song over the radio and I don't know if it's an impression but it didn't sound as nice as the original version.[?]
fanciz
The Jet Set

Postby fanciz » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:27 am

Coincidence! Gang Of four arrived in Tower and I got it, I still have to listen to the Remixes![:)]
fanciz
The Jet Set

Postby Ape Module » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:30 am

Two of my favorite bands. When I first got the "vs." album by MoB so many years ago I was floored. I thought it was amazing. My pun crock frenz couldn't get into it...I think it was too cerebral and not of that "loudfastrules" formula enough for them...I kept trying to cram it down people's throats.

Anyway, yes...both bands "reunion" albums are works to be proud of. The new MoB blows away most of the crap that's been released in the last 2-3 years. I'd love to see Go4 play too, but I'd have to travel 500 miles to see them BECAUSE I LIVE IN REDNECK PALOOKAVILLE.
Ape Module
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubbeet921 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:10 am

[quote]Originally posted by Borneojimy
[br]I know these have both been out for a while, but I picked up the reunion CDs from both bands yesterday & I'm quite pleased with both...
[/quote]

Nice! I gotta have both of them too![:I]
Rubbeet921
Room at the Top

Postby xtc-1957 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:04 am

[quote]Originally posted by Borneojimy
[br]I know these have both been out for a while, but I picked up the reunion CDs from both bands yesterday & I'm quite pleased with both. MOB hasn't lost a step in all this time, their "On Off On" disc is great! And Gang Of Four's "return The Gift" is awesome IMO. A lot of the songs are pretty similar to the original versions, but some are much improved. The thumping sound you hear is me kicking myself for missing them in Philly earlier this year.
[/quote]

I love GOF, but am not familiar with Burma, at all. Are they similar? Was Burma around in the early 80's?
xtc-1957
Personal Jesus

Postby Borneojimy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:29 am

I love GOF, but am not familiar with Burma, at all. Are they similar? Was Burma around in the early 80's?
[/quote]

Burma kinda had their own sound, I can't think of who I can compare them to right now. They were an early 80s Boston band that split up when their guitarist Roger Miller was suffering from severe hearing problems. XTC, if you want to check them out, email me & I'll send you something.
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations