Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Belle Stars

The Belle Stars

Postby skinnytie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:00 pm

I went to The Ideal Copy website yesterday, and was pleased to see that The Belle Stars album and singles are now all compiled on a 2-CD release ("Belle-isima"). The blurb for the new CD says that it has everything they ever released, with a few 12" mixes included, but the one single I was hoping for that didn't make it onto the compilation was "World Domination". This was the last release by them, when they had whittled the band down to just 3 members, and let synthesizers take over. Does anyone remember what the b-sides were to this release (I believe there were 2 songs on the b-side to the 12"). I was hoping for this to be on the new release, since this was the one 12" I never ended up getting by them, and was always curious as to what the b-sides were like (I barely remember what the A-side sounds like). Anyway, good to see the other songs back in print, I hope to get my copy shortly.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby ekahob » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:14 pm

The b-sides to the U.S. 12" extended mix were "Just A Minute" and "Rock Me To The Top". Thanks for reminding me of this one. I'm going ro give it a listen.

The Ideal Copy says the CD is off all the Stiff stuff so I guess that's why this isn't include
ekahob
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:35 pm

They weren't on Stiff for that release? I thought they were, in the UK, at least.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby Analogue » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:29 pm

'Hit That Perfect Beat Vol. 2' had the 12" mix of 'World Domination' on it. It was on the Oglio label but it's been OOP for some time, unfortunately.

JAG
Analogue
Take On Me

Postby yipyipcoyote » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:32 pm

Also isn't there a 12" mix of 'Iko Iko'? I'm not sure if it came out in the UK though. Maybe it came out on a different label since it was used in Rainman?
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby SwampThing » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:00 pm

Is this group even New Wave? Never could stand that song "Iko Iko". Does their non-hit stuff sound better?
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:54 am

I always considered them new wave, but I sometimes feel they are either "you love 'em or hate 'em" type band. I myself didn't like everything they ever put out; towards the end they seemed to be leaning towards banal pop ("Sign of the Times" and later).
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby yipyipcoyote » Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:50 am

I love the Peter Collins productions - except 'Sweet Memory' which is really banal. [:p]

About the Iko Iko 12" mix, I don't think it was released on Stiff or ever in the UK at all, which would explain why it was missing from 'Belle-issima'. Would love
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:13 am

As far as I remember, the only 12" of "Iko Iko" was released by Capitol off the Rain Man soundtrack, in response to the song's hit status. The remixes were very hip-hop ("1-2-3-4...hit it!")
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby yipyipcoyote » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:52 am

Thank you rewind for the info! I'll try to d/l it from somewhere [;)]
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:12 am

Well, I finally got my copy, and as it turns out (according to the liner notes), ZTT records (Trevor Horn's label) had bought Stiff records, and it was for this new Stiff label that the Belle Stars recorded "World Domination", and for contractual reasons,
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations