Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Vinyl vs. CD

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Vinyl vs. CD

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:49 am

Or analog vs. digital...

This was posted on another board (www.subrec.com) and I thought I'd see how it goes here.

I prefer vinyl. Having grown up before the advent of CDs I have a soft spot for vinyl. Better artwork, or should I say bigger and therefore easier to look at, and the idea that you have to be careful with a vinyl lp. A cd can be thrown across the room, have beer spilled on it and still be playable.

I saw an interview with Andrew Eldrich from The Sisters Of Mercy where he described the difference as being "an album is an artifact, something to cherish. A CD is just something to store music on."
Or something to that effect.

Luckily most of the music I buy is punk and it is usually still pressed on vinyl as well as cd.

Some record companys have done a good job trying to make cds appealing, with great reissue seires, bonus tracks, etc, but there's something intrinscly (sp?) more precious about that 12" piece of vinyl.

And I REALLY miss 45's. I long for the days when you could buy a single song or 2 from a band instead of the whole album. Now you can buy a cd single with the one track and then 14 remixes of the same song. Boring in my book.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Plata66 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:02 am

Good topic Ollie.I think Vinyl has more soul to it and CD's have a digitaly cold feel.Although I don't like snaps and pops I'll take them if it's with a full bodied tonal spectrum. A good turntable and cartridge can blow away cd's as far as I'm concerned.
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby fritzb » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:53 am

I have always been a sound quality fanatic, so this is a no brainer for me - CD!!! You can argue about sweet sounds vs. harsh sounds all you want, but with the dynamic range of a CD vs. vinyl, there simply is no contest.

I was the very first person
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Momotaro » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:10 pm

ABSOLUTELY vinyl - - not for sound quality reasons, but for the asthetic reasons you mentioned. The first thing I do with a new CD is invariably drop it on the floor and crack the plastic hinges. A record cover is almost like a nice piece of art (albeit
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Jimbo » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:33 am

CD or Vinyl, CD or Vinyl...
Oh MAN, I have seen debates rage on about this subject to the point where it is almost a religious belief.
So here is my take on the subject. This opinion is just that, an opinion. So If you feel the need to flame away please
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Bob-O » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:00 am

The human ear can only hear so much, and the human brain can only process so much information. The only sonic difference I hear between vinyl and cd is that cd's don't have the surface noise that vinyl does.

I buy whatever I find the music on, but giv
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:20 am

My opinion, I go with albums.
I too grew up during the time when albums were king...in fact, it was only after college (and after everyone else in the world) that I bought my first CD player and CD's. I like the sound quality on a CD (for the most par
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Return to Vinylmania!