Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Your rarest "New Wave" 12" single

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Your rarest "New Wave" 12" single

Postby uofsc93 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:23 am

I've been collecting 12" singles since '83 and was just curious as to what you feel your rarest or hardest to give up might be.
For me its a UK import of Master in Servant L12 remixed by Adrien Sherwood, not a big fan of the song but the remix is incredible (almost inaudible) and it was never rereleased on the subsequent reissues in the UK or USA box sets.
uofsc93
Take On Me

Postby SwampThing » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:47 pm

I never cared much for 12" singles but I have around 25 or so. Mostly Depeche Mode and the Smiths. I have a copy of Ebn-Ozn "aeiou & sometimes y" and a Japenese Duran Duran 12" called "Tiger Tiger". I don't have a turntable so I don't listen to vinyl anymore.
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:42 pm

Rarest 12" Images In Vogue - "Save It" (Extended Remix) b-side to "In The House" (Australian only release)

Can't part with 12" Endgames - "First-Last- For Everything" (Club Version) UK

This applies to Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

It would be interesting to hear what matters to people in other cities.

The Images In Vogue has more meaning here because they were a Canadian band with an Australian only release that I never saw in a used store in and around Toronto.

The Endgames 12" was highly sought after here due to the airplay on CFNY when it was a great radio station known as The Spirit Of Radio back in the mid-80's. The 12" typically sold for around $100 in the Toronto area, apparently selling as high as $200 in some instances.

Great topic! Looking forward to other responses.

Go here to hear and request a ton of rare new wave 12" versions:

http://www.flashbackalternatives.com/
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby Jason² » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:20 pm

I would have to say that the rarest vinyl I have is probably not worth a ton of $$ but it took me a while to track down and is probably not worth today what i paid for it then....

The Chameleons - Tony Fletcher Walked On Water
4ad compilation: Presages
Tones On Tail - the first 3 12" singles

stuff like that.
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby Blaster » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:23 am

I bought a lot of 12" "45's" back then, & Still have 'em all!!

True Story:
I went into Tower Records in NYC in the '80's & was looking for a specific 12". A salesman comes up to me & says "can I help You"?
I asked where they keep the 12 inch 45's.
He look edat at me with an "attitude & face" & said "What the heck are you talking about?" - sarcasticly! (What a way to treat a customer, & I KNEW that he knew what I was looking for, so..) I proceded to reciprocate by explaining what a 12" was as if he were 6 years old---
"You see, record companies and artists make collections of songs on vinyl albums called "LP's", and sometimes they produce only 1 or 2 songs on an "LP" sized record"
So he then says, "Oh, you mean 12 inch "33" singles. There have never been any "12 inch records that spin at "45", they are upstairs, & you should learn more about records !"
I told him he was a moron, & that I owned may of both already.
Needless to say I found the 12" I was looking for, And it was one that said "45 RPM"! I wanted to go back & find moron & stick it in his face, but decided just to pay & leave!!
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby Blaster » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:25 am

...PS:
It seemed that most English/Euro made 12"'s were 45, & most USA major label were 33-1/3, but there were exceptions.....
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby Ollie Stench » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:47 am

Not really a 12" single, but I have 3 copies of the first Information Society 5 song ep.

One of the rarest I have is the "New York New York" 12" by MCL (Micro Chip League)

I've got all the Classix Nouveaux singles on 7" and 12".

I've got 3 different Intaferon 12" singles. Only one is good (Get Out Of London).
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:50 am

Tough to tell what the rarest would be, but if I have to pick one it'd be:

Alexander Robotnick "Problèmes d'Amour" <12" Single - Italian Import>

Edit: on reflection, this was a pretty popular track on the underground club scene, so there are probably still a lot of copies around.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby UncleDave » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:08 am

Scritti Politti "Pre-Langue EP" on Rough Trade (sometimes called "4 A Sides" (1979)

Also
Marie et le Garcons "Re-bop/Attitudes" on Ze Records 001 (1978)

12" records wish I still had

Rosa Yemen: 12" on Ze with "Herpes Simplex" (1978)

Teenage Jesus: "Pre-Teenage Jesus" on Ze. (1979) Actually, although James Chance plays sax with Teenage Jesus on this record, his sax part was just overdubbed onto an already released track cribbed from Lust/Unlust. Lydia once told me this p*ssed her off because she had always wanted James to play on one of her records, but this was achieved artificially when she wasn't even present. She appeared on the James White and the Blacks "Off White" Lp, but AFAIK to date he has still not returned the favor.

Uncle Dave Lewis
UncleDave
Running Up That Hill

Postby ayola » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:52 am

I'm not sure how rare these are, but they are 12's that I love.

The Assembly - Never Never / Stop/Start

The Bubblemen - The Bubblemen Are Coming / Bubblemen Rap

Dalis Car - The Judgment is the Mirror / High Places / Lifelong Moment (w/poster)

Getting The Fear - Last Salute / Last Salute (instrumental) / We Struggle

The Jam - Town Called Malice (Live) / Precious (extended) (Purple striped Sleeve)

Maurice and the Cliches - Soft Core / Beautiful Girls

Sex Gang Children - Dieche / Draconian Dream

The Suburbs - Music for Boys / Cigarette in Backwards

Toy Dolls - James Bond / "Olga... I Cannot!" / Griefsville

Wow, what a way to NOT answer the original question.

Brooks Ayola
http://inflatableboyclams.com
ayola
Switchin' to Glide

Postby bpdp3 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:23 am

In the $1 bin at my local vinyl shop I just came across a 12" by Endgames 'First-Last-For Everything' ('82 on Flip Records)....not sure how RARE it is, but I never see their stuff around. Nice find.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:21 pm

bpdp3 - The 12" of Endgames that mattered here in Toronto was the picture sleeve from the UK on Phonogram. This version is different from the US release on Flip.
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:09 am

Damn! And I thought I was going to be rich!! Actually, I've never sold anything I've ever found.

This one does NOT have a picture sleeve. Good song, though - - had never heard it before.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Hockeybird » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:39 am

12 drummers drumming - We'll be the first ones

And about 1200 more.....
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Frayo » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:38 pm

To be honest..

I recently got a hold of Re-Flex "How Much Longer (Longest Mix)".
Frayo
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Vinylmania!