Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Your rarest "New Wave" 12" single

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Postby yipyipcoyote » Sun May 30, 2004 10:01 am

Hard Corps 'Je suis passee (hard mix)' 12" packaged in a translucent foldout plastic sleeve. It's like 10 minutes of sonic masturbation courtesy of Martin Rushent. [xx(] Frankly, the regular 12" is better for normal listening..

But possibly a much rarer one (which I don't have): April Showers 'Abandon Ship' 12" is being sold on GEMM for over $250!
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby IguanaCantina » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:03 am

I think the rarest I have would be:

The Suburban Lawns Vinyl LP, with the hit Janitor. Really nice lp contains pictures of the band and brief reading on the inside of the sleeve... : )

I'm sure I have more, but dont know at this time as this was the only one that came into mind.

I have a lot of 12" singles containing extended and dance versions.. I love vinyl.
IguanaCantina
Running Up That Hill

Postby Grunch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:10 pm

Rare 12" singles, these are soooo hard to find and some of the most ultimate new wave 12":

Madonna - Holiday (Extended mix, about 6 minutes long!!)
Michael Bolton - Harder 12" when he was really new wave before later stuff; this is 4'39" 12" promo; the LP version is only 4'23" long.
Kool & The Gang - 12" Celebrate (6 1.2 minutes!!) - man, their synthesizer new wave sound on the dancy stuff was great. Even the slower love ballads were somewhat ethereal like Cocteau Twins
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:12 pm

Rare 12" singles, these are soooo hard to find and some of the most ultimate new wave 12":

Madonna - Holiday (Extended mix, about 6 minutes long!!)
Michael Bolton - Harder 12" when he was really new wave before later stuff; this is 4'39" 12" promo; the LP version is only 4'23" long.
Kool & The Gang - 12" Celebrate (6 1.2 minutes!!) - man, their synthesizer new wave sound on the dancy stuff was great. Even the slower love ballads were somewhat ethereal like Cocteau Twins
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:51 pm

I seriously wonder about this guy [}:)]
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby SwampThing » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:22 pm

[quote]...were somewhat ethereal like Cocteau Twins[/quote] [:o)] I thought this was damn funny.
SwampThing
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:38 pm

OK, OK, seriously.......a couple of my favorite 12" from the 80s are listed. Not sure about level of rarity, but they are some great tracks non the less:

Ignatius Jones - Like A Ghost
Dansette - Summer (Gotta Get Up) - 1st heard this in Montreal
Future Daze - House On The Hill

I think many of my favroties are ones that never came close to a radio DJ's turntable, or certainly not very often??
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:05 am

Wasn't Ignatious Jones supposed to be like the Australian Iggy Pop? I've heard crazy stories about Jimmy and the Boys but never heard any of the music.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby fritzb » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:13 am

Ignatius Jones "Like A Ghost" was featured as MikeP's "Song Of The Week" a while back. It's a pretty good song. Iggy Pop doesn't come to mind while listening to it.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby christsmasher » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:30 am

Well, I've got a lot from Djing. I also have that Sherwood Depeche Mode twelve inch, and I have the complete set of Duran 12 inches, bought in the day. Ummm, there's so MUCH! We have some of the original Devo singles released on Stiff on 45, and I love my 12 inch of Beers Steers and Queers by the Revolting Cocks, it gets played almost every set, lol. I just dug up a great remix of Life's What You Make it, too.

Oh, regarding Images in Vogue, I live in Toronto and have recently befriended none other than Dale Martindale. He looks amazing, although I do sometimes tease him about his hair during the good old days, lol. He is SO humble and sweet, and is now working on new material that is more guitar oriented. He seems kinda overwhelmed and shocked by this whole return to New Wave, and I always have to convince him of how influential his sound was to young uns like me. He kinda thinks it's a gas, actually. lol.
christsmasher
Take On Me

Postby EchoBeachBunnyBoy » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:04 am

I would have to say:

Sex Execs- "My Ex"
Hard Corps- "Lucky Charm"
Commodity Fetish- "Zen Kitchen"
Tom Tom Club- "Suboceana"
Micro Chip League- "New York"
The Vels- "Look My Way"

I still have a turntable, so these get equal airtime with my CD's.
[:D]
EchoBeachBunnyBoy
Personal Jesus

Postby Grunch » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:21 am

Any chance of getting an mp3 e-mailed to me forSex Execs "My Ex" track. Always liked that track alot! Maybe I can send tracks your way too.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby christsmasher » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:10 am

WooooooW!

I am most impressed by the Sex Execs contribution!

Best
Band
Name
Ever
christsmasher
Take On Me

Postby phillyidol » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:32 am

The one that I have to list is the 12" single of sanctuary by the passions. I bought it for a freind in 1982 for his birthday. I have never found another copy and I could not find anything on the computer. After 22 years I ran into his x-wife and got his phone number. I asked him how are you, long time, and do you still have the record I gave you? @ days ago I got it in the mail! Another great moment for a crazy music fan.[:)]
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby marie3 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:00 am

[quote]Originally posted by phillyidol
[br]The one that I have to list is the 12" single of sanctuary by the passions. I bought it for a freind in 1982 for his birthday. I have never found another copy and I could not find anything on the computer. After 22 years I ran into his x-wife and got his phone number. I asked him how are you, long time, and do you still have the record I gave you? @ days ago I got it in the mail! Another great moment for a crazy music fan.[:)]
[/quote]

Is this version different from the 7 inch?
Thanks
Marie
marie3
Der Kommissar

PreviousNext

Return to Vinylmania!