Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Any Tips How To Clean Your Vinyls?

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Any Tips How To Clean Your Vinyls?

Postby DSR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi guys! Ever since I started collecting Vinyl records in 1983, I just used Tap Water to clean my Vinyl Collections to get rid off the unnecessary dirt. Maybe you have some other suggestions that could be of help. Thanks alot for the generousity!![:D]

[:)] An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 pm

I just use tap water and liquid hand soap. It probably leaves a bit of minute crap on the records, but the water is Vancouver is pretty soft.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Thanks obs!![:D] But the liquid soap here in Manila has a strong ingredient. It's really nice to see our Vinyl Records clean!![:D] Hopefully it'll last a lifetime.[;)]

[:)]An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:48 am

Here's an article I wrote a few years back, maybe it will help you.

http://www.tcpunk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... rd+vaccuum
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Frau_Blucher » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Ollie Stench[/i]
<br>Here's an article I wrote a few years back, maybe it will help you.

http://www.tcpunk.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... rd+vaccuum
[/quote]
Beauteous! Thanks Ollie!!!
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:53 pm

Nice article you wrote OLLIE[^]. Very impressive!!![8D] All those pictures and stuffs. Well, I guess a little of alcohol won't hurt our Vinyl Records. Thanks man for the advice!![:D]

DR. STIRRING RHOD
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby SomebodySomewhere » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:27 am

If it's the kind of record (that are common in Europe) with the label painted directly onto the vinyl, I just run them under the sink. 9 times out of 10, water alone is enough. If they're really dirty or have stubborn caked-on fingerprints, isopropyl alcohol and/or specific record cleaner fluid (a la Quick Wash) will do the trick.

If it has paper labels -- assuming you want to keep them in the condition they were in before you tried to clean them -- I use a sponge and wash along the grooves. Again, if there's stubborn fingerprints, spray the sponge with the isopropyl alcohol or the cleaning solution of your choice. (I don't like to use liquid soap on records with paper labels. It's harder to get all the soap out without running the thing under the tap -- and that's without strong ingredients.)

Despite all the bad advice you might have heard, rubbing alcohol is fine to use on 33 1/3s and 45s and won't damage them. However, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use it on 78s!

I don't have anywhere near enough time to clean every piece of vinyl I own, so they only get cleaned when they look and sound like they really need it bad.
SomebodySomewhere
Room at the Top

Postby obs » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:32 pm

[i]I don't have anywhere near enough time to clean every piece of vinyl I own, so they only get cleaned when they look and sound like they really need it bad.[/i]

I just clean the new used ones I buy. After that, I know how to handle them so they don't require another cleaning [:)].
obs
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Whenever I play my records in my turntable and the record I'm playing has some unnecessary dirt that's the only time I clean it. It would be very tiring to clean a lot of records simultaneously.[8D]

DR. STIRRING RHOD
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:39 am

Before I rip vinyl to CD I give them a thourough cleaning. Once I burn it to disc I probably won't play the vinyl too much so (hopefully) the vinyl will stay relatively clean. Other than that if I'm just putting on a record to listen to it I might run the brush over it but I don't do the whole ritual of spraying and vacuuming.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:43 pm

I do the cleaning and vacuum job, play it through for any unexpected noise, and reclean if necessary, then burn it to disc as a CD master of the vinyl itself. I proceed from there to make my actaul CD-R from the burned master, breaking it into individual tracks without the silence before and after a track, so it sounds more like a regular CD, no noise in between, or at least very minimal. This one time transfer is usually the only time my vinyl gets used.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby DSR » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:23 am

HI GRUNCH!![8D] What kind of Vacuum do you use? Do you use it directly on the Vinyl Record? Thanks![:D]

DSR
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby drsevrin » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:42 pm

I'm with Ollie. I use a roughly 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water in a spray bottle. I spray the Discwasher brush near the leading edge, leaving the trailing edge dry. After a wet pass, rotate the brush slightly to the dry side to remove as much moisture as possible. Before ripping I try to always let the vinyl rotate at 45 rpm for 5 minutes or so to remove any residual moisture, which will cause a lot of crackling if present. [:)]
drsevrin
Personal Jesus

Postby DSR » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:38 pm

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUTS GUYS!![;)] If you still have any additional infos feel free to add up on the thread.[8D]

DR. STIRRING RHOD
DSR
The Jet Set

Postby coop41 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:27 am

I have been using Ollie's method for the last few weeks and the difference is amazing! Thanks Ollie![:D][:D]
coop41
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Vinylmania!