Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

What cool stuff have you picked up on vinyl lately

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

What cool stuff have you picked up on vinyl lately

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:02 am

Always curious what others are finding in the used bins... Anyone who spends any time doing it knows you go weeks finding nothing then all of a sudden the new-wave gods rain down....

For me, yesterday was a smorgashboard...

debut by the Pop
Nervous Eaters debut
The Last "LA Explosion"
"Drop out with the Baraccudas"
Christina debut on ZE (red cover, her sitting at a table)
Passion Puppets "Beyond the Pale"
The Monks "Bad Habits" (with 'Nice legs, shame about the face')
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby devildog » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:02 am

Picked up a bunch of obscure 80's eps and albums at a $1 apiece, still sealed:

EPs by Flex, The Effect, The Windows, The Urbations, The Pool.

LPs by:
Champaign-"Modern Heart"
The Sweaters -s/t
Marshall Crenshaw-"Mary Jean & 9 Others"
The Red Square-"Lemmings & Saviors"
Jonathan Segel-"Storytelling"
Eddy Grant-"Born Tuff"

Never heard of most of these but hey, for $1 a piece?[:p]
devildog
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:43 pm

I have that Lonely Boys lp, found it for $2. Sometimes I feel guilty when I find something wonderful in a $1 bin, like I owe Robyn Hitchcock or whoever more....

Hey, found the first two Cherry Vanilla lps yesterday, "Bad Girl" and "Venus d'Vinyl". Early CBGB's-type stuff. If you're into that era I think you'd like them.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:23 am

The Cherry Vanilla LP with "The Punk" on it usually sells for about $12 around here. Good score if you got it cheaper than that!

Just today I nabbed 4 Yello 12" singles/eps for $3.20 each. They're not in front of me so I'll have to post the titles later.

I make the record store rounds every weekend. I may be filling alot of space in this thread!
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Sat Aug 28, 2004 8:27 am

Just scooped some compilations of Phoenix bands and Boston bands from the 80s, both LPs look pretty interesting. Also scooped another mint copy of The Trees - Sleep Convention for $2 at a Half Price Books. For $2, it was well worth scooping another. Also scooped The Passions - Michael and Miranda and another EP I needed by The X-Teens. I am so behind in my mfh series, as far as I am, I still have 100s more to convert to CD-R in my own series.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:57 am

I wouldn't mind a copy of that Trees LP if anyone finds an extra copy.

The Yello singles I found are:

Call It Love
Vicious Games
Gold Rush
Pumping Velvet

I also just scored the Coctreau Twins 10cd box set for $30. I've seen it go for 3 times that much so I think it's a pretty decent score.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got a few stores to go to!
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:14 am

Ollie, I paid $10 each for the Cherry Vanilla lps so I'm sure it wasn't a 'steal' or anything - - I would've paid $12 as I'd never seen them before (tho' knew of her).

You know, I never have seen that Trees lp either...

This should be a whole another thread maybe, but I've been thinking about the pricing of new wave vinyl....ah screw it, I'm going to start another thread for this topic.

Some others I've found recently:
Merton Parkas - Face in the Crowd (neo-mod)
Skids - A day in Europa
Revillos - Rev Up (had the Rezillos, this one's tougher to find, I think)
Advertising - Jingles (very good)
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Grunch » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:27 am

bpdp3, that Arvertsing-Jingles believe it or not came out on CD, I purchased it within the last 2 years through Not Lame, a very cool site for power pop and all things jangly.
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:24 pm

The Advertising was also re-issued on vinyl. I grabbed it about a year and a half ago.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:36 am

I was pretty lucky, my copy is an original in pretty decent shape.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:14 am

Just found the Trees LP for $3.50.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:47 pm

Very nice - - I'm now convinced I'll find the Trees and at a decent price if I just happen to go in the right store at the right time...

I have a copy of the Only Ones "Special View" which is a comp of songs from their 1st two lps: The Only Ones and Even Serpants Shine.

Well, I just found those two lps, each for $15. Still sitting there. Anyone know if the songs NOT on Special View warrant picking them up? I'm tempted just because I haven't seen these lps in the bins....

Only Ones did the song "Another Girl, Another Planet".
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby British » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:33 pm

Just got Ministry's 1983 album at Cheapo. They had the gall to charge me twice for what they normally do for vinyl(6 bucks).
British
Room at the Top

Postby Grunch » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:24 am

Sounds like a typical Cheapo deal, mark something up if you think it is actually something someone will want. The Cheapo name, at least at some locations, no longer fits the pricing in the store, not when every store selling used discs in the same town are definitely at a lower price. Maybe the name should be "More Expensive-O"
Grunch
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:58 am

Cheapo in the twin cities started marking up the proces of their used vinyl about a year ago. Most records in "fine" condition are around $5, whereas they used to be $3.40. In the Uptown store they started putting "collectable" records on the wall with outrageous prices ie $100 for the Suicide Commandos "Comit Suicide Dance Party" which is normall about a $40-$50 record.

Still, with a lot of digging, and most of the staff unknowledgable about the REALLY obscure punk and wave, deals can still be had.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Vinylmania!