Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

what are your vinyl buying quirks??

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

what are your vinyl buying quirks??

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:14 am

This is a continuation of my "confessions of a new wave vinyl junkie" thread earlier this year.

I've got some strange habits I'd like to get off my chest; hopefully you have some too so I know I'm not the only freak out there...

-When I go through the used bins, I really only look at the header cards labeled "A", "B" etc etc... most of the groups I look for just aren't going to have their own card.

-I have surprisingly little concern for sound quality of the record. If it plays through with no skips, I'm happy. I don't mind a little surface noise here and there; adds to the ambience.

-I tend to be much fussier about the appearance of the cover. If it's got someone's name scribbled on it, I'm likely to wait for another copy to appear (provided it's not too rare). Lately I've become a little more liberal about it, and will pick up a copy with college-radio station's call letters scrawled on it - - as long as I'm pretty certain I won't find another copy fairly easily.

-I never pick up reissues. I want that Kraut "Adjustment to Society" lp so bad, and they have the reissue, but man I just want the original if I can get it. (I know that this sounds a little snooty; believe me, I'm not snooty. It's the same reason I want the lp instead of the CD - - for me,it's just how it's MEANT to be enjoyed).

-I hate to admit it, but here goes....I have a significant number of lps that I've probably listened to less than 45 seconds of. I wanted them, I picked them up, and they're in the "need to listen to" pile. Then I find a bunch more 6 days later. And so it goes and goes and goes.....
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Natephish » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:13 am

I can relate with that last one. I always go out buying vinyls and end up listening to them for all of 3 minutes, before I realize I need to go out and buy more. :)
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby Ollie Stench » Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:49 am

I can spend 3 hours a day in the same store looknig for gems. I buy re-issues if the price is decent. There's alot of cool import punk stuff that are prohibatively priced for original pressings. I also recenlty all but gave up on cds. They just don't
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby British » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:09 am

1. Nothing before 1978 and nothing after 1984.
2. I always look in the spots for bands not worthy of their own card. Usually the best stuff turns up.
3. Always give it a test listen. A couple secs on each track to get a feel for it.
4. No mainstream st
British
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:27 am

Back on the topic of re-issues, this is my true quirk:

-if it's a sealed brand-new copy of the re-issue, I don't pick it up (I've made a couple of exceptions over the years, I guess).

-it's a used copy of the re-issue, decently priced, then I have n
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby dum dum boy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:32 am

*Condition is important. It bugs me to find something I've been after which looks like it was used to flip burgers. I'll pass something by in crap shape if I'm confident of seeing it again.

*Agreed on the aphabetical bins yielding the best finds. Just
dum dum boy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby dum dum boy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:35 am

Oh yeah, I guess I never "got" Kraut. I have one of their singles and was always underwhelmed by it. Maybe it's that they had a guy who called himself Davey Gunner or that they had a song called "Just Cabbage" I dunno.
dum dum boy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Ollie Stench » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:58 am

That Kraut 7" goes for between $50 - $80. Their first 2 singles aren't all that great, but the LP "An Adjustment To Society" really showed what the band could do. Steve Jones played on and produced parts of the record and it really shows. They had an E
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Return to Vinylmania!