Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Dr. Mabuse - Alternate mix

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Dr. Mabuse - Alternate mix

Postby synthman78 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Back in the summer of 1984 I heard a song on CFNY that just blew me away. It was Dr. Mabuse by Propaganda, and I was so greatful that I happend to be recording off the radio when it was being played. I looked everywhere for the record and in September of 1984 I finally found a copy, called "The nine lives of Dr. Mabuse" 12 ZTAS 2, full picture sleevs. Not the mix I was looking for. Over the years I bought every different looking version I could find, but none of them were the mix I was looking for. Then, last summer I found one in a dollar bin, took it home and low and behold, it was THE mix. Much more "Collapsing New People" with scrap metal and pipes etc. It was in a white sleeve, but the cat number (12 ZTAS 2) and everything was the same as the "nine lives" 12", the label was the same, the track list on the label was the same, and even the run off grooves had 12 ZTAS 2 etched into them. Does anyone have an insight to the 2 identically labelled Propaganda records with totally different mixes?

Thanks

DJ Formaldehyde
synthman78
Switchin' to Glide

Postby obs » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:42 pm

You might call it ZTT craziness, but even Virgin did something similar with OMD (two different mixes released under the same catalogue number). It's crazy that even looking at the cover, you can't tell which pressing you're going to get!

http://www.hirschbergers.de/Propaganda/e_disco.htm

12": 1984 UK (ZTT; 12 ZTAS 2 {A-1U-1-1-}) [zeppelin ps]</a>
12": 1984 UK (ZTT; 12 ZTAS 2 {A-3U-1-2-}) [zeppelin ps]
12": 1984 UK (ZTT; 12 ZTAS 2 {A-3U-1-2-1}) [hand ps]
12": 1984 UK (ZTT; 12 ZTAS 2 {A-3U-1-1-3}) [zeppelin ps]

06:34 Dr. Mabuse (13th life mix)
03:20 Femme Fatale (The Woman With The Orchid)
04:06 (the ninth life of...) Dr. Mabuse (The word)

12": 1984 UK (ZTT; 12ZTAS2 {A-2U}) [hand ps]

10:14 Das Testament Des Mabuse "The third side the world"
03:20 Femme Fatale (The Woman With The Orchid)
04:06 (the ninth life of...) Dr. Mabuse (The word)
obs
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 am

[quote]Originally posted by synthman78
[br]Back in the summer of 1984 I heard a song on CFNY that just blew me away. It was Dr. Mabuse by Propaganda, and I was so greatful that I happend to be recording off the radio when it was being played. I looked everywhere for the record and in September of 1984 I finally found a copy, called "The nine lives of Dr. Mabuse" 12 ZTAS 2, full picture sleevs. Not the mix I was looking for. Over the years I bought every different looking version I could find, but none of them were the mix I was looking for. Then, last summer I found one in a dollar bin, took it home and low and behold, it was THE mix. Much more "Collapsing New People" with scrap metal and pipes etc. It was in a white sleeve, but the cat number (12 ZTAS 2) and everything was the same as the "nine lives" 12", the label was the same, the track list on the label was the same, and even the run off grooves had 12 ZTAS 2 etched into them. Does anyone have an insight to the 2 identically labelled Propaganda records with totally different mixes?

Thanks

DJ Formaldehyde
[/quote]

I don't know about the specific releases, but was the version you originally heard the one used in the film "Some Kind of Wonderful"?
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby synthman78 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 pm

[quote]Originally posted by synthman78
[br]Back in the summer of 1984 I heard a song on CFNY that just blew me away. It was Dr. Mabuse by Propaganda, and I was so greatful that I happend to be recording off the radio when it was being played. I looked everywhere for the record and in September of 1984 I finally found a copy, called "The nine lives of Dr. Mabuse" 12 ZTAS 2, full picture sleevs. Not the mix I was looking for. Over the years I bought every different looking version I could find, but none of them were the mix I was looking for. Then, last summer I found one in a dollar bin, took it home and low and behold, it was THE mix. Much more "Collapsing New People" with scrap metal and pipes etc. It was in a white sleeve, but the cat number (12 ZTAS 2) and everything was the same as the "nine lives" 12", the label was the same, the track list on the label was the same, and even the run off grooves had 12 ZTAS 2 etched into them. Does anyone have an insight to the 2 identically labelled Propaganda records with totally different mixes?

Thanks

DJ Formaldehyde
[/quote]
synthman78
Switchin' to Glide

Postby moni » Sun May 03, 2009 11:56 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>[quote]Originally posted by synthman78

Thanks

DJ Formaldehyde
[/quote]

I don't know about the specific releases, but was the version you originally heard the one used in the film "Some Kind of Wonderful"?
[/quote]

The mix used on Some Kind of Wonderful was Abuse which only appears on Wishful Thinking and bizarrely isn't even on the movie sountrack.
moni
Room at the Top

Return to Vinylmania!