Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

are you losing vinyl shops in your area?

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

are you losing vinyl shops in your area?

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:39 am

Sadly, in my area I've seen the used vinyl shops closing their doors, with few opening in their place. Sometimes it feels like it's a dying market. And it sucks if you're really committed to vinyl.

I can't go into a local stereo shop anymore and buy a standard amp/receiver with 'phono' jacks on the back anymore.

I can't buy a decent, affordable turntable without buying a used one.

And now, it seems like more and more used vinyl shops are closing their doors.

How is it in your area - - do you feel like eventually all good things vinyl will eventually truly go away?? I suppose Ebay is fine (I've never used it), but nothing beats killing a rainy afternoon in a used record shop.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Natephish » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:02 am

There's only one record shop in my town, it's been there for years and its customers are very loyal. These places like Walmart and Target are killing the record store. Mom and Pop places have to charge full price for a CD, $15-20 when Walmart, FYE, etc.
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby WolverineSyr » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:10 am

Other than what I've mentioned in the "recent vinyl finds" forum about the state of record shops in my town - does anyone else get the huge record sale in their town? Every February one comes through & has the sale at a Holiday Inn. I've been a couple o
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby Borneojimy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:05 pm

There is absolutely nowhere to buy vinyl here anymore, all the stores have closed down. There aren't even any independent shops left to buy CDs any more, so I've got to either buy everything mail order or travel an hour or more. We do have the record conv
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby Natephish » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:09 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by WolverineSyr[/i]
<br>Other than what I've mentioned in the "recent vinyl finds" forum about the state of rec
Natephish
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:33 am

I agree that record conventions are always a good time, and you often find a great deal. I'm not much of one for haggling, but I have to keep reminding myself that these guys really DON'T want to haul all this stuff back in their cars. I grabbed a copy
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:30 am

I haven't been to a record show in a few years as I always leave wishing I had a better paying job! Admission here is usually $2.

Radio Shack sells a turntable for around $100. If a place as crappy and corporate as that can stock turntables then ther
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby Hondo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:51 am

We've got several great ones here in the Greater Cincinnati area. Phil's has been my favorite haunt ever since I've been married, but before that I was a regular in Clifton and up at Everybody's. Before we had kids, one of my friends and I would take a
Hondo
Take On Me

Postby geoffolehane » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:42 am

There are a number of vinyl shops here in New Hampshire. Pitchfork in Concord is a good one. There are other places in Keene and Meredith. But New Hampshire is yard sale crazy in the warmer months and that's where I see a lot of them.

Part of the pr
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby Jimbo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:32 pm

[quote]Originally posted by bpdp3
[br]Sadly, in my area I've seen the used vinyl shops closing their doors, with few opening in thei
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks for the "chin up, old chap", Jimbo. You're right, the stuff's still out there, but I'm just longing for the days when you could go into the local 'Best Buy' or Ma&Pa's Stereo and grab it.

On the 78's - - I have a victrola and a relatively humbl
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby geoffolehane » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:53 am

One thing about vinyl is that I bought many records in the 70's and 80's and only listned to them all the way through once. So sometimes I pull one out that I've not listened to in 25 years and plop it on the turntable. Crystal clear and not a scratch.
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby WolverineSyr » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:01 am

Sadly, not only are we losing the vinyl shops - but a factory that produced the lps is shutting down.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststanda ... xml&coll=1

Honestly, I wasn't aware there were still large lp fac
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:12 am

woverine - - cool article. I know the area and had no idea that place existed in the thriving metropolis of Gloversville!!

Once great record stores that were in syracuse that I know are now gone -

Modern Records - SU hill
Desert Shore Records - S
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby WolverineSyr » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:43 am

And to think - I always thought Gloversville was only famous for Gloves...

Ahhhh, Johnny's Collectibles. My favorite - a room of 12" singles.
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Vinylmania!